Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 AM   #1
Nookz

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Front LED Turn Signals - Hyperflash

Hi all,

as I didn't want to use these standard resistor kits that you can't find everywhere (they get extremely hot and I don't want to burn any plastic or drill holes in the chassis), I tried a set of LED decoders instead.
Explanation here: http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Differen...5537460/g.html

They work fine most of the time, once in 10-20 uses of the turn signals, I occasionally still get a hyperflash (same thing on both sides).

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers,
Len
Nookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
You will get the hyperflash with that type of rissisters.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Nookz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Did you even read my post?
a) It's not a resistor, but a capacitor.
b) It's working fine 95% of the time.
I just want to figure out, why in the remaining 5% of the time it doesn't.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
Camar05

Drives: NGM '16 2LT A8
Quote:
I agree
Camar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nookz View Post
Did you even read my post?
a) It's not a resistor, but a capacitor.
b) It's working fine 95% of the time.
I just want to figure out, why in the remaining 5% of the time it doesn't.
Hi, I did read your post, we have this part for over 18 months, and know what they are, there made for euro cars not US cars, Capacitors are used to store electricity, and your turn signals don't need that, Rissisters burn power, for your turn signals to work 100% of the time, you need the BCM to be happy all the time, and to do that you will need to add 3 ohm rissisters.

I know they get hot and you don't like that but it's what works.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
Nookz

Quote:
Hi, I did read your post, we have this part for over 18 months, and know what they are, there made for euro cars not US cars, Capacitors are used to store electricity, and your turn signals don't need that, Rissisters burn power, for your turn signals to work 100% of the time, you need the BCM to be happy all the time, and to do that you will need to add 3 ohm rissisters.

I know they get hot and you don't like that but it's what works.
3Ohm? That will even be a worse than the 6Ohm ones you can buy everywhere.
However, both of your replys did not help my actual question at all ("why does it not work all of the time, but most of the time? =technical explanation").
Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
any bulbs with someone built into them?
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
3Ohm? That will even be a worse than the 6Ohm ones you can buy everywhere.
However, both of your replys did not help my actual question at all ("why does it not work all of the time, but most of the time? =technical explanation").
I know this is hard to understand, but here goes, a capacitor will make your 12V signal flat when the can bus is on in your car, that is to make it look like this, ___________ with out the the line looks like this__^__^__^___^, the spike is where the can bus sends a spike to test if the bulbs are good.

Now here is how the car works, the BCM is programed to look for a Draw of 12-15V, and depending on the bulbs in the car, 6-9 amps of power, with out that it thinks there is a bulb outage and falls back to the hyperflash as a way to tell you something is not right.

So now do you see that a capacitor can not get you to the right amount of AMP Draw to make the BCM think you have the right Bulbs.

If you wander why not, do what you did with the rear light add a resister, IMO that is not the right way, from test we did here if you drive hard the way we did the LED fall in the housing, and we did test it on the track and ended up with 2 LED tail light bulbs in the tail light, but its your car and you can do with it as you like.

Not meant to insult but to show you why it does not work, if you cut open the canbus unit you will find resisters in there and that is whats triking your BCM some of the time but not all the time, here are pic of that test that you did not do.

this pic is one one side and it goes from a .3 Ohm to a .4 Ohm in the next pic.

Here we reversed to the other side of the convector and got 20 Ohm's, that will not work, dont know as we did not test what happens when you add power to this unit, if the Ohms go up or down.

3rd pic.

With this i hope we showed you what will work and not, i am out of this thread, GL.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 AM   #9
Nookz

Quote:
I know this is hard to understand, but here goes [...]
It's not hard to understand. It's simply not answering the actual question.
You have just explained how a capacitor and the BCM work, which was no news at all.
Still no explanation, why sometimes it's hyperflashing and 95% of the times I can leave the turn light on even for minutes and it's working perfectly.

Quote:
If you wander why not, do what you did with the rear light add a resister, IMO that is not the right way, from test we did here if you drive hard the way we did the LED fall in the housing, and we did test it on the track and ended up with 2 LED tail light bulbs in the tail light, but its your car and you can do with it as you like.
I understand that you want to sell your 30$-harnesses instead of people having a better solution at basically no cost, but come on... Did reverse your car into a wall for the bulbs to fall out? If affected at all, they sit even tighter inside the socket with the resistor...

Quote:
i am out of this thread
Ok, cheers.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
It's not hard to understand. It's simply not answering the actual question.
You have just explained how a capacitor and the BCM work, which was no news at all.
Still no explanation, why sometimes it's hyperflashing and 95% of the times I can leave the turn light on even for minutes and it's working perfectly.

I understand that you want to sell your 30$-harnesses instead of people having a better solution at basically no cost, but come on... Did reverse your car into a wall for the bulbs to fall out? If affected at all, they sit even tighter inside the socket with the resistor...

Have you ever taken it to the track, _________ did not think so, when you run on a track that is hard driving, and when a bulb is sticking out of its socket and is longer then what was in the car to start and you are pushing 1.02 G that bulb will move, no 2 ways around that.

Ok, cheers.
Dont know what your looking at, but the 3 pics i posted was to show you that your E-bay part had resisters in it, and on one side it had low Ohm's and on the other it had to high of Ohm's, that's why it works some time and not other times.

The only way to fix Hyperflash is to get the Amp draw where the BCM thinks it needs to be, and the Ebay parts dont do that.

Last if you love soldering on resisters that sale for $.07 why spend all that $ for some 1/2 ass cap ?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #11
Nookz

Quote:
Dont know what your looking at, but the 3 pics i posted was to show you that your E-bay part had resisters in it, and on one side it had low Ohm's and on the other it had to high of Ohm's, that's why it works some time and not other times.

The only way to fix Hyperflash is to get the Amp draw where the BCM thinks it needs to be, and the Ebay parts dont do that.

Last if you love soldering on resisters that sale for $.07 why spend all that $ for some 1/2 ass cap ?

Mate, just leave it, ok?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Your problem is that you replaced the bulbs, but didn't change the fluid. Always gotta change the fluid when you swap bulbs. I use this for high-temp applications.

00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #13
Nookz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
Your problem is that you replaced the bulbs, but didn't change the fluid. Always gotta change the fluid when you swap bulbs. I use this for high-temp applications.
Just waiting for 2SSRS@Gen5diy to respond and explain that your blinker fluid will not work for him, because he's tracking the car ten times harder than everbody else combined.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Just waiting for 2SSRS@Gen5diy to respond and explain that your blinker fluid will not work for him, because he's tracking the car ten times harder than everbody else combined.
That will fix your cars problem right there, try it and get back to us on how it works out, but in the mean time we will use what we know works, good luck.