Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #15
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
I didn't lift my vert yet but I'm going to do it soon. I have some work to do at the wheels.

I ordered the ZL1Addons pinch weld pad so I can use the Jack lift in a safe manner but I will have the same issue as you for the jack stands.

I was told as well to put the jack stands where the reinforcement bars are attached to the 'stolen' pinchweld. I was thinnking to put a shaped wood chuck between the stand and the car, maybe shaping those bolts are coming out.

If I will survive the test :P I will post pictures
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #16
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Convertible
Lifting a convertible

As of now I'm thinking one might be able to do one wheel at a time till someone comes up with the best way using jack and jack stands to be honest I have yet to jack mine up no need to as of yet but I did buy the pinch weld clamps when I need to use them . If I do raise her I will give a update as to what I did. Hope you all do the same.
VJChevelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #17
phd1026

Drives: 2022 2SS Vert in Wild Cherry Tint
Any pics of the vert pads from ZL1 Add Ons? Got the same kit and need to change mufflers and change out stock brake pads and rotors.
phd1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:08 AM   #18
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
I didn’t take any pics of the jack under the car next to the stands. I will post a few more pics the next time I lift it.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #19
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_S17 View Post
I didn’t take any pics of the jack under the car next to the stands. I will post a few more pics the next time I lift it.
Be careful! That looks like it’s on the hairy edge of slipping off the jack pad!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #20
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
FWIW, I fabricated permanent aluminum ZL-1/Dewhel-style jack pads from some 4545 (1.75"x1.75") extrusion stock I had laying around.
It is very nice to have them always present on the car.

If anyone is interested I could post some photos and dimensions.
All you really need is a hack saw and about $20 worth of 4545 stock or similar and eight 1/4-20 clamp bolts.
4040 stock will also work (I made some for the Cruze) but the larger stock is better for the Camaro IMHO.

Last edited by DIYguy; 04-15-2019 at 10:10 PM.
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #21
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
FWIW, I fabricated permanent aluminum ZL-1/Dewel-style jack pads from some 4545 (1.75"x1.75") extrusion stock I had laying around.
It is very nice to have them always present on the car.

If anyone is interested I could post some photos and dimensions.
All you really need is a hack saw and about $20 worth of 4545 stock or similar and eight 1/4-20 clamp bolts.
4040 stock will also work (I made some for the Cruze) but the larger stock is better for the Camaro IMHO.
Please post some pictures when you get a chance!!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #22
DIYguy

Smile

Sure, I'll be happy to.
But it will have to wait until this evening when I get home.

They work extremely well and now I take them for granted.
If you choose not to fabricate your own I would absolutely recommend the ZL-1 or Dewhel permanently attached versions instead.
Note that they are larger for gen6 cars than for gen5 cars so they generally cost more to purchase.
They would be about 4x the price even if you have to purchase all the materials to make my version, but still well worth it.

It is so very nice to be able to just roll a jack up and lift the car without having to worry about damaging something.

FWIW, our Cruze is far, far worse in regard to needing them and is much more fragile at its pinch weld points.

Whose idea was the pinch weld lift points anyway??

Last edited by DIYguy; 04-03-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #23
DIYguy

Smile

OK, here are a couple of photos (please pardon the dirt streaks and splatters, it was raining earlier today).
Also there a few CAD renderings that show the details better.

The front pads are about 115mm (4.5") in length and the rear pads are 80mm (3.13") in length.
I made the front ones longer to spread the load a bit more because of the engine and transmission weight.

The slots to clear the pinch weld flanges should be around 6mm (0.25") in width and may extend into the central holes as shown in the renderings, but for the actual parts I chose to mill them just short of that.
Notice that the slots are biased toward the opposite side of the T slot from the screws so that the screws will press the weld flange against a larger flat surface.
The screws I used were M5x25mm stainless steel hex head screws but you can also use 10-32x1" if you prefer.
Although it is not shown in the renderings, the screw holes are drilled through to the center slot on the one side only.

The end chamfers on the front pads are needed, but they are optional on the back (and should be smaller of course).
They are 45 degrees and aren't critical otherwise.
You need the chamfers on the front pads to be able to nest reliably in the lift pad area of most floor jacks.

I painted them flat black before mounting them and unless you are specifically looking for them you do not see them normally.

When I installed them I put generous beads of silicone RTV on the tops of the pads and in the areas that would contact the weld flanges.
Then I used a floor jack to press the pads up against the frame rails lightly while tightening the clamp screws.
After the RTV set overnight I re-tightened the clamp screws.

So far they have not loosened or deformed and are really convenient to have on the car.
I often use two floor jacks when lifting the car so that the loads are more evenly distributed.
Having these permanently in place makes this extremely easy to do.

These could have been made from solid bar (like the Dewhels) but I had the 4545 stock laying around and these hardly weigh anything because of all the hollow spaces in them.
Because I had the stock on hand my total cost was around $4 for the screws.
Try to use stainless steel screws if at all possible to prevent any corrosion issues.
Attached Images

Last edited by DIYguy; 04-05-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #24
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Your screen name fits (DIYGuy). Nicely done!
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #25
OVERPAR73
2018 Garnet Red ZL1 conve

Drives: 2013 & 2018 ZL1 vert
Quick Jack 7000

I highly recommend ZL1Addons.com jack pads and I use a Quick Jack to do any work underneath and of course cleaning! The pic shows the car on the first lock so it can go up another 6". I just have to make sure my garage door is open as it goes back at an angle as it goes up. They had a really good sale a while back and got the larger one to fit all my cars.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #26
DIYguy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Your screen name fits (DIYGuy). Nicely done!
Thanks, I do appreciate that.
I have had the same name on another car forum for a very long time and have posted many, many DIY-type things there.

P.S. the ZL1 and Dewhel pads were the inspiration for my design.
If you can't or don't want to make your own, by all means buy them and install them.
You won't regret it.