Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

AWE Tuning

Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #99
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10redrocket View Post
Damn, can't get in. Novice is booked. Could run solo but I've done that a few times already. Really wanted the instruction.
I'd almost bet there will be instructors available at some point, even if you sign up for solo.

That's what I'm doing. I signed up for solo, but I'm hopeful that sometime during the 6 hours of track time over the weekend there will be an instructor available.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #100
greg72982

Drives: Black 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
LOL, Thanks, I love black but I do not have the time or patience to keep it clean! The owner of the black Z is from Monroeville, it has some motor work done and he runs Hoosier R7's. He runs 1:56's.

With road racing, there are many opportunities to not get it right. Having an instructor goes a long way. I've never had one for the South Track, and want to get one next year.

Having a lap timer like Harry's or Tack Addict can be valuable, you can compare your sessions and help ID where you need to improve. I like Harry's lap timer because is gives a wealth of data, while my buddy Marco (CarGuy11 on youtube) like Track Addict for his C7 Z51.

What were your tire pressures, cold and hot?

I will also say, that if a driver is not comfortable/relaxed, it is difficult to be fast. Any anxiety limits proper driving, because your senses are muted/distracted to the feedback of the car.

I have two black vehicles because I'm a glutton for punishment. I keep saying my next vehicle won't be black but that hasn't worked in the past two.

I wondered if that Z28 had work done. It sounded fantastic. I saw it on a flatbed and was hoping that was just for transport and not because something happened to it.

My tire pressures seemed to be around 37 psi. I admittedly didn't check after each session but I did check before and after.

I was distracted alright. Novice had 33 cars (at least in the first session) and I started becoming to occupied with finding and utilizing the passing zones to allow people to pass and not driving. That was way too many cars in my opinion, especially when dealing with people that may have never been on a track. Maybe that's just me though.

My dad owns an auto repair shop and I had him swap the brakes back to Powerstops and change the rear diff fluid. He said there was a good bit of metal in the old fluid which shows him how hard track use is on a car. Didn't like hearing that.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #101
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg72982 View Post
I have two black vehicles because I'm a glutton for punishment. I keep saying my next vehicle won't be black but that hasn't worked in the past two.

I wondered if that Z28 had work done. It sounded fantastic. I saw it on a flatbed and was hoping that was just for transport and not because something happened to it.

My tire pressures seemed to be around 37 psi. I admittedly didn't check after each session but I did check before and after.

I was distracted alright. Novice had 33 cars (at least in the first session) and I started becoming to occupied with finding and utilizing the passing zones to allow people to pass and not driving. That was way too many cars in my opinion, especially when dealing with people that may have never been on a track. Maybe that's just me though.

My dad owns an auto repair shop and I had him swap the brakes back to Powerstops and change the rear diff fluid. He said there was a good bit of metal in the old fluid which shows him how hard track use is on a car. Didn't like hearing that.
The fella who runs the Z/28, yep, just transport, the flatbed is part of his family business.
37 psi is at the high side, sometimes finding that perfect pressure is a moving target, lol.

I thought Novice has no passing? Heck yeah, that's a bunch of cars! I agree with you, way too many!

I think that some metal will come from break in, I doubt you hurt the rear at all, these cars a quite strong.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #102
travislambert

I ran a few laps this evening at the Pitt Race Auto Palace Twilight event. There was a little bit of traffic, but I managed some reasonably good lap times.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #103
greg72982

Quote:
The fella who runs the Z/28, yep, just transport, the flatbed is part of his family business.
37 psi is at the high side, sometimes finding that perfect pressure is a moving target, lol.

I thought Novice has no passing? Heck yeah, that's a bunch of cars! I agree with you, way too many!

I think that some metal will come from break in, I doubt you hurt the rear at all, these cars a quite strong.
Yeah I purposely leave them at 37 PSI for street use. Though it hasn't been an issue with this car, in many of my other cars they sometimes lose air over time so I like the 2 PSI "cushion," assuming 35 PSI is recommended. It's probably overkill and I honestly didn't even think to lower it.

And yep, passing was allowed. It wasn't as laid back as I was expecting but maybe that's my fault for having those expectations.

My dad wasn't concerned really but was just surprised. When I initially asked him to do it he kind of rolled his eyes like it was unnecessary. I told him the owners manual recommends it and I'd feel better if he did. In a way I'm glad he saw the metal so he didn't think I was wasting his time. He doesn't charge me labor, just parts/tires if needed.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #104
RXtacy

Drives: 93 RX-7, 17 SS 1LE, 04 RX-8
Quote:
Yeah I purposely leave them at 37 PSI for street use. Though it hasn't been an issue with this car, in many of my other cars they sometimes lose air over time so I like the 2 PSI "cushion," assuming 35 PSI is recommended. It's probably overkill and I honestly didn't even think to lower it.

And yep, passing was allowed. It wasn't as laid back as I was expecting but maybe that's my fault for having those expectations.

My dad wasn't concerned really but was just surprised. When I initially asked him to do it he kind of rolled his eyes like it was unnecessary. I told him the owners manual recommends it and I'd feel better if he did. In a way I'm glad he saw the metal so he didn't think I was wasting his time. He doesn't charge me labor, just parts/tires if needed.
So 37 psi was your cold starting pressure at the track? If so that was WAY too high. I have different tires because 1LE but I start around 28 psi cold and they hit about 37 psi hot. For my tires 36-37 psi hot is a good spot.
RXtacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #105
cdb95z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I ran a few laps this evening at the Pitt Race Auto Palace Twilight event. There was a little bit of traffic, but I managed some reasonably good lap times.

Lookin good Travis! Sub 2 minute laps are right around the corner, lol
Old 09-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #106
cdb95z28

Quote:

I agree with RXtacy. 37psi for me are "time to bail" pressures, When I see 36psi, I'm done. Even with your tires, you can start much lower
Old 09-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #107
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Here's a lap of the TNiA from 9-13. Once I get more videos processed, I'll post em up. Still a LOT left in the car. I need practice- practice-practice!! Lol it's still fun to run the 1le on track though!! Every time I drive i, I'm amazed at how track capable it really is

Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #108
greg72982

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXtacy View Post
So 37 psi was your cold starting pressure at the track? If so that was WAY too high. I have different tires because 1LE but I start around 28 psi cold and they hit about 37 psi hot. For my tires 36-37 psi hot is a good spot.
Yep and being the true novice I am I didn’t bring a tire gauge so that was using the TPMS in the car

Quote:
I agree with RXtacy. 37psi for me are "time to bail" pressures, When I see 36psi, I'm done. Even with your tires, you can start much lower
Hey when I chose novice I wasn’t joking!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #109
RXtacy

Quote:
Yep and being the true novice I am I didn’t bring a tire gauge so that was using the TPMS in the car

Hey when I chose novice I wasn’t joking!
We all start somewhere. Next time drop your pressure down before your first session and check after each session.

Also if you forget something don't be afraid to ask around in the paddock. We're typically all more than willing to help.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #110
RXtacy

Just a reminder there are still some spots left for the SWP track day at Pitt Race on 10/16.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...e-compl-156929

You can use code SWP2017 to get $50 off too!
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM   #111
RXtacy

Had a good time at Monday's event. It was cold and raining in the morning which made it real slick (had a few moments lol), but it cleared up in the afternoon. Met two other cool Camaro guys, and managed to shave 4 seconds off since last time, still room for improvement but met my goal of getting under 2 minutes.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #112
travislambert

Under 2 minutes at PittRace is fast. Great job!

I plan to run as many track days as possible next year. Hopefully we'll meet up at some point.