Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Who has gone from SS 1LE to ZL1?

...and not regretted spending extra money?

Interested in all feedback specific to track duty, as a dual purpose car.

I have another season left with my present car and trying to figure out which model to get next (another SS 1le or ZL1). PS Note a ZLE is out, as ive sold my hauler/trailer combo.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Eyeball emoji haha. Interested to hear where you go next
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Eyeball emoji haha. Interested to hear where you go next
Hehe So am i frankly! SS 1le is such a no brainer...but 650/650 sure sounds nice
Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
TrackClub

Fyi i will wait to see what goes into c8 lt1 wise.
Rumours are it will put out much higher numbers.
So i could be perfectly satisfied with a 2020 SS 1le...

Anyway, back to the the OP
Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fyi i will wait to see what goes into c8 lt1 wise.
Rumours are it will put out much higher numbers.
So i could be perfectly satisfied with a 2020 SS 1le...

Anyway, back to the the OP
Could be very interesting...would love another 100 ponies in my SS however that boots me from a very competitive tt3 lol
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
I don't have a ZL1, but I supercharged my SS1LE. It's noticeably heavier in the slow stuff, and ridiculously faster in the straight stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll stay with the supercharger longer-term though, or sell it and do a full-boogie N/A build at less power but less weight and more simplicity. For this year, it's getting LT4 fueling, headers, and intake to go to up to about 650whp.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I know a couple guys that track their ZL1 A10. They've added the ZLE aero and tires and they are within a couple of seconds of a very fast modified ZLE
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
oneplustwo

Drives: 2018 Torch Red SS 1LE with Whipple
Just out of curiosity, why go from one SS 1LE to another? Is yours "wearing out?" Also, for what it's worth, in my opinion, the SS 1LE has the best fun to price ratio out there. Sure, I'd be faster in a ZL1. But I'd also spend more on gas and brakes and tires and so on. And perhaps not have any more fun that I already was.
oneplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 PM   #9
TrackClub

Thanks for the replies guys.

Chris, by "heavy" do you mean you've lost pace in corners? Or is it just a different feel? Have your autox times fall any? I believe ZL1 has the same weight distribution as a 1le and a base car is about 130lb more...so not too bad...Good luck with your power mods 650 to the wheels will put ya up a notch lol!

As far as modded ZL1s with 1le bits i think i know who those guys are. Indeed just putting sticky tires will wake up any car (been there done it), but that's not in my plans for a dual purpose car. So stock is fine with me.

Nope, my 1le is not wearing out. And i absolutely love it.
But when i divested of my track car/hauler/trailer it was to go back a full circle to an "arrive and drive" dual purpose car. And looking at a financial side of things it seems trade in values are best either at 3 or 5 years. Kinda like perpetually leasing a car. So simply looking at options. If 2020 1le offers more power out of a reworked lt1 plus the same excellent chassis then it is a no brainer: more bliss! If not then maybe a ZL1 because it is a step up. But i am not completely sure about it. Hence my OP seeking feedback from anyone that has done it.
I will hopefully have a chance to drive one this season to check it out (assuming a track friend let's me lol!).

Bottom line, just fishing at this stage.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:

Chris, by "heavy" do you mean you've lost pace in corners? Or is it just a different feel? Have your autox times fall any? I believe ZL1 has the same weight distribution as a 1le and a base car is about 130lb more...so not too bad...Good luck with your power mods 650 to the wheels will put ya up a notch lol!

As far as modded ZL1s with 1le bits i think i know who those guys are. Indeed just putting sticky tires will wake up any car (been there done it), but that's not in my plans for a dual purpose car. So stock is fine with me.

Nope, my 1le is not wearing out. And i absolutely love it.
But when i divested of my track car/hauler/trailer it was to go back a full circle to an "arrive and drive" dual purpose car. And looking at a financial side of things it seems trade in values are best either at 3 or 5 years. Kinda like perpetually leasing a car. So simply looking at options. If 2020 1le offers more power out of a reworked lt1 plus the same excellent chassis then it is a no brainer: more bliss! If not then maybe a ZL1 because it is a step up. But i am not completely sure about it. Hence my OP seeking feedback from anyone that has done it.
I will hopefully have a chance to drive one this season to check it out (assuming a track friend let's me lol!).

Bottom line, just fishing at this stage.
I autocross a 2017 ZL1. It does feel heavy in the tight corners, but it is neutral (unless I overcook the rears which is always a possibility with 650 HP). It understeers less than some other cars that I have used. The ZL1 sticks well even with just RE71R's. Heavy for me is more like a comparison to other cars I have used. You cannot flick a ZL1 around like a Miata. I have to be more deliberate, but I find I can keep a faster pace than my prior 2010 GT3.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreSpeed View Post
I autocross a 2017 ZL1. It does feel heavy in the tight corners, but it is neutral (unless I overcook the rears which is always a possibility with 650 HP). It understeers less than some other cars that I have used. The ZL1 sticks well even with just RE71R's. Heavy for me is more like a comparison to other cars I have used. You cannot flick a ZL1 around like a Miata. I have to be more deliberate, but I find I can keep a faster pace than my prior 2010 GT3.
Thanks and appreciate your input!
Still waiting for some specific feedback between ss 1le and zl1...
Old 02-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #12
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:

I think it's probably given up a touch in the tight corners, just a matter of physics. It's certainly harder to autocross in anything other than ideal conditions. For autocross, it's still faster on a course that has any sort of pin-turn followed by a straight. It pulls 30-78 mph ridiculously quick.

To offset that the weight, I've made other changes to it (wider wheels, stiffer springs, aero) and we'll see.

This year at One Lap, there will be an exceptionally well-driven stock 1SS 1LE running in our class. I'm mostly a hack, but my codriver can wheel. We'll see how it shakes out.

Personally, knowing that you prefer a stock car, if you were looking for "more", I'd look at a Grand Sport and stay away from the added complexity of the blowers. The reality of forced induction is that it's going to run a lot hotter, and cooling becomes a priority. You'll get about 10-15 minutes before heat soak becomes an issue in a ZL1 on track, and for the last 5-10 minutes of your session, you'll be running the same pace as an SS 1LE down the straights.

If you're not going after a stopwatch time, the stock 1LE is the best Camaro for HPDE.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:10 AM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I think it's probably given up a touch in the tight corners, just a matter of physics. It's certainly harder to autocross in anything other than ideal conditions. For autocross, it's still faster on a course that has any sort of pin-turn followed by a straight. It pulls 30-78 mph ridiculously quick.

To offset that the weight, I've made other changes to it (wider wheels, stiffer springs, aero) and we'll see.

This year at One Lap, there will be an exceptionally well-driven stock 1SS 1LE running in our class. I'm mostly a hack, but my codriver can wheel. We'll see how it shakes out.

Personally, knowing that you prefer a stock car, if you were looking for "more", I'd look at a Grand Sport and stay away from the added complexity of the blowers. The reality of forced induction is that it's going to run a lot hotter, and cooling becomes a priority. You'll get about 10-15 minutes before heat soak becomes an issue in a ZL1 on track, and for the last 5-10 minutes of your session, you'll be running the same pace as an SS 1LE down the straights.

If you're not going after a stopwatch time, the stock 1LE is the best Camaro for HPDE.
Thanks Chris, interesting thoughts. GS is too much $ for the level of performance imo. Agree that an SS 1LE hits all the sweet spots value to performance and funometer wise: a no brainer.

I am surprised about your comments about the heat soak tho. As much as i see many a Z06 being good for a 10-15 min stint max - i have not heard a single report of heat issues out of any ZL1 or ZL 1LE owners even in warm climates. I did have a blown GT back in a day and indeed it was troublesome. But a ZL1? I thought they were bulletproof???

Best of luck with your comps! Report back and send some vids pls. Cheers!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #14
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Thanks Chris, interesting thoughts. GS is too much $ for the level of performance imo. Agree that an SS 1LE hits all the sweet spots value to performance and funometer wise: a no brainer.

I am surprised about your comments about the heat soak tho. As much as i see many a Z06 being good for a 10-15 min stint max - i have not heard a single report of heat issues out of any ZL1 or ZL 1LE owners even in warm climates. I did have a blown GT back in a day and indeed it was troublesome. But a ZL1? I thought they were bulletproof???

Best of luck with your comps! Report back and send some vids pls. Cheers!
I’ve not heard of any local ZL1 owners with heat issues in 30 minute sessions here in Florida.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote