Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 02-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #169
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
The story about the damage these techs did made me furious - They should account for what they did! Can the part of the dashboard around the display be replaced? Wheels for sure can.

As to the sound - Seems like the PAC needs proper adjustment. Your gear is top notch! If the speakers in the doors are installed correctly and damping material (I.E. Roadkill, Etc.) has been applied correctly, then you should get decent kick-drum / mid-base.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #170
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The wheel is getting refinished so we'll see how that goes. Not sure if anything can be done about the dash. At least that one is small.

I have SoundSkins in the doors and trunk. Turning up the gain on the amplifier today made a big difference. But I still feel that tweeters are too bright to be placed by the windshield. Knowing what I know now, I would try a 2-2.5" in the factory location and see how that plays with the stock system. Add some 6x9 subs to the rear deck and be done with it. But while it would add lows and highs, it needs a time alignment to make it all sound cohesive.

Ideally something like these in the dash

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-fhhXmm...l-CCWR254.html
http://store.12velectronics.com/u2-2...e-speaker-set/

with 6x9s in the doors

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-HO5HAi...rog-GS690.html
http://store.12velectronics.com/unit...s-speaker-set/

some kind of slim woofer in the rear side panels, and subs in the deck

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-b...oofer--264-837

all run off an 8 channel amp/DSP via optical connection.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136986...-VX800-8i.html
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...rs/v-eight-dsp

If that doesn't sound good maybe try the NAVTV, if that still doesn't work it's not worth spending more to me.

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 02-10-2019 at 07:59 PM.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #171
Eldi Z

Glad you got the sound improved a bit.

Why is it that you opt for 6x9s? Is this the stock/OE cut-out of the speakers in the doors and side panels? I thought that they were round drivers...
Regarding the DSP - it is a fine unit, however, Amp power is too low. You would require additional Amps
Old 02-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #172
WhyUMad1LE

You could get a Helix P Six and a monoblock. I feel that you need 7 channels to do a 6th gen system right.

The factory door speakers are 6x9 subwoofers which is how they got so much bass. The only full range in the car are 5.25” behind the seats. Honestly I’m probably going back to stock door speakers and adding 2-3” dash speakers with rear 6x9s.

The Audison components sound great when my ear is even halfway on axis to them. In a door panel like below they would be perfect.

But the Camaro has front speakers in the furthest corners of the door and dash. This is why it comes with oversize drivers stock.

Last edited by WhyUMad1LE; 02-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #173
Eldi Z

Ohh, I see... Camaro requires a deep thought process and planning. Not straight forward at all
Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #174
WhyUMad1LE

The door speakers are basically enclosed under your legs so you don't want to play vocals there. It will drag the soundstage down.

And for whatever acoustic reason having speakers aimed at glass makes things really bright/harsh. So you don't want tweeters in the dash. I thought about this so I got oversized silk domes and even those hurt my ears.

In the rear, a full range is covered by the side panel speakers. The panel can accept up to a 6.25" diameter driver (stock is 5.25" w/ an adapter) however there is only a depth clearance of 2.25" which makes a good replacement nearly impossible to find.

Finally for rear bass I never liked using a sub in the trunk, because I want to seal off the trunk from the cabin. It's also heavy, and inefficient unless you want people outside the car to hear your bass. A sub mounted to the rear deck, with a sealed box will give the cleanest sound. But since we have two holes for 6x9s I will just go with that and live without hitting sub-40hz frequencies.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #175
Eldi Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
The door speakers are basically enclosed under your legs so you don't want to play vocals there. It will drag the soundstage down.

And for whatever acoustic reason having speakers aimed at glass makes things really bright/harsh. So you don't want tweeters in the dash. I thought about this so I got oversized silk domes and even those hurt my ears.

In the rear, a full range is covered by the side panel speakers. The panel can accept up to a 6.25" diameter driver (stock is 5.25" w/ an adapter) however there is only a depth clearance of 2.25" which makes a good replacement nearly impossible to find.

Finally for rear bass I never liked using a sub in the trunk, because I want to seal off the trunk from the cabin. It's also heavy, and inefficient unless you want people outside the car to hear your bass. A sub mounted to the rear deck, with a sealed box will give the cleanest sound. But since we have two holes for 6x9s I will just go with that and live without hitting sub-40hz frequencies.
For the rear side panels only 2.25" depth? its a joke. From a diameter PoV, don't you think I could somehow fit a 6.5" driver as well?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #176
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
For the rear side panels only 2.25" depth? its a joke. From a diameter PoV, don't you think I could somehow fit a 6.5" driver as well?
Actually yes I meant to say 6.5” I made a mistake. If you find something decent that’s thin enough let me know. I see the Audison AP5 some lower end Rainbow speakers and that’s about it. The other options include tweeters which screw up the rear fill.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #177
Eldi Z

Quote:
Actually yes I meant to say 6.5” I made a mistake. If you find something decent that’s thin enough let me know. I see the Audison AP5 some lower end Rainbow speakers and that’s about it. The other options include tweeters which screw up the rear fill.
OK, at least diameter-wise this can work with common sizes. As to the depth, I just thought that maybe an MDF ring-spacer would do the trick? What remains to check in such case is, how thick maximum, can such spacer be without hitting the inner part of the plastic panel when it is being mounted back into place.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #178
Tommy G

Drives: 18 1LE/1SS, 08 G8 GT, 13 GTI
Five star did a 7" in the rear side panels.

https://youtu.be/9gRYbndccHc?t=734
Tommy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 AM   #179
WhyUMad1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy G View Post
Five star did a 7" in the rear side panels.

https://youtu.be/9gRYbndccHc?t=734
Nice! Those have a mounting depth of 2.5".. so if that cleared we can fit a higher quality driver like a ScanSpeak. Crutchfield only lists options 2.25" and below.

https://www.scan-speak.dk/products/p...le_prod_id=179
Old 03-22-2020, 12:11 PM   #180
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
As a new 2020 SS 1LE owner, I appreciate all the info in this thread!
Quote:
***UPDATE 1/21/19***

There is no external amplifier in the 1SS 1LE. It has a chip amp integrated into the HMI which is located under the glovebox.
Just revisiting this verified finding, is there any reason to think that this has changed for 2020 SS 1LEs?

Addendum: the answer is "no," the 2020 is the same.

Last edited by Msquared; 05-01-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #181
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I'm looking at adding a Kicker KEY200.4 to my 1LE's front speakers, enabling it as a biamp setup so it actively crosses over the door and dash speakers. I have questions:
  1. The biamp setup just needs one set of speaker-level inputs from the radio control unit under the glovebox, and it will output two sets of speaker outputs. It seems like the ideal place to tap into this is where the factory speaker outputs split off into the two sets, as highlighted in the wiring diagram below.* Any idea where this exactly is located, and how easy it is to access (assuming I'll have to pull the HMI out)?
  2. Alternatively, how hard is it to run new wires to the dash speakers from under the dash? Maybe I could that and reuse the factory wires to the doors if it's easier than finding that split.
  3. This amp has external dimensions of 1-11/16 x 2-3/4 x 7-3/8. For anyone who has worked under the dash, do you think this can be tucked in somewhere under there? I'd love to avoid having to run wires to the trunk or even under the seat, if possible. I note that the guy in the Axxess AX-DSP installation video says he will tuck that up there somewhere, but he doesn't show where/how he did it.
  4. Anybody tried this amp (or its predecessor) in a Camaro yet?

*Thanks for posting that diagram, Ryephile!
Attached Images

Last edited by Msquared; 05-01-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #182
Noize

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
The chip amp is far from good, but it has more power than people are giving it credit for. I cranked it up to about 75%: Plenty loud for me and no distortion at that volume. I’m considering trying better speakers in the stock locations before going the fix86 and external amplifier route.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote