Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Oil leak at front?

Hi Guys,

My 2016 Camaro with LTG engine is coming up on the end of its power train warranty and I would like to get any issues fixed before I can’t any more.

At the front of the engine I noticed an oil spot, right under where the pulleys for the belts are. I’m attaching pictures.

I’m about to take the car into the dealership but I don’t want to have a chance of them NOT covering this under a power train warranty.

My question is; is what I’m seeing normal? Should I be concerned or just let it be?
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Definitely not normal and Yes take it in ASAP.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
It is normal, oil seep is infamous for making a new engine look like an old one. but you should make them replace the timing cover gasket anyway.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Take it in. That's unacceptable.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #5
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Definitely not normal and Yes take it in ASAP.
If I take it in do you think there's a chance they will say that this is normal and is not covered under the warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
It is normal, oil seep is infamous for making a new engine look like an old one. but you should make them replace the timing cover gasket anyway.
Hmm should this be something that they look at and think oh yeah we'll cover this under warranty? I'm worried that they are going to stick me with a diagnostic fee (again) by saying it's not an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Take it in. That's unacceptable.
Thank you!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

I did some research and I'm finding similar issues in the past on the LTG engine on caddies.

Thank you evil-bee for pointing me in the right direction.

The one thing I notice from the other threads is that GM says if it's seepage and no a leak with drips, it's "normal" and shouldn't be fixed. Is this to be expected? How can I get them to fix it anyways? My powertrain warranty ends in 3000 miles.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Find a better dealership. I would take it to the oldest established dealership in the area. In my experience, they tend to not give you any grief and just fix the issue under warranty.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Either way you should get it fixed. It's not where it's ending up but where it's leaking from next to belts and pulleys. Still a seep but as a consumar you have the right to request it he fixed under warranty. Go for a long trip look at that middle empty bolt hole where it's leaking if it looks like a greasy oil it's the gasket not seated or completed possibly because of shiity manufacturing/factory install or from seep causing seperation. I notice this more in the winter because of condensation.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 02-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
If I take it in do you think there's a chance they will say that this is normal and is not covered under the warranty?

You should not be charged anything and they should tell you before they do anything that would cost $$ and get your approval. As long as you are inside the warranty mileage and years this should be covered.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You should not be charged anything and they should tell you before they do anything that would cost $$ and get your approval. As long as you are inside the warranty mileage and years this should be covered.
Their line is since the bumper to bumper is over a lot isn’t covered. Last time I took it in for a water leak in the trunk that shorted out the fuse box, they covered the water leak but charged me a $250 diag fee anyways
Old 02-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
Their line is since the bumper to bumper is over a lot isn’t covered. Last time I took it in for a water leak in the trunk that shorted out the fuse box, they covered the water leak but charged me a $250 diag fee anyways
Your dealer is ripping you off. The timing cover is part of the engine it falls under powertrain there is nothing electrical or body related to the oil seep. Go to a different dealer.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #12
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Call chevy go over their head and tell them one of their dealers are not honoring your warranty.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: '13 ATS
The front cover on my '13 ATS had a similar leak which was covered under warranty by GM. If I understand correctly they actually pulled the motor to reseal it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, that joint is sealed by RTV and not a gasket.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
sadpanda

Drives: 2014 ATS 2.0T 6MT
Meh... Looks like standard seepage. Do an under car inspection after idling for a while and check for actual leaks. Could pressure wash first too. If you are not losing oil between oil changes meh. I'd be more concerned with diff seals and oil/water in the intercooler if you are not catch canned
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote