Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #15
irobles3680

Drives: 2017 2.0 Camaro LT
I believe most tuners tweak the pedal sensitivity if not I’m sure they can. All it does is make the throttle open faster without needing to push the pedal down as much. I didn’t get vitesse cause many have gone in limp mode best rated one was pedal commander and no issues as of yet
irobles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillareal1978 View Post
I have been seeing a lot on these throttle controllers. I am running a tune from VT would using a throttle controller make any difference, or is this built into tuners?
I use one with my Dyno Tune for daily driving feel only. It doesn't interfere at all. I generally turn it off when at the track because I'm racing and that quicker throttle response feel is actually a hindrance to me anyway.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
RaceChip

Drives: Camaro 2.0 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillareal1978 View Post
I have been seeing a lot on these throttle controllers. I am running a tune from VT would using a throttle controller make any difference, or is this built into tuners?
I can not comment on specific tuners, but I can share some general information.
Very often, ecu tunings (reprogramming, reflashing, whatever) also change the throttle response. This makes the car more responsive. The driver using his butt dyno will think that's the result of the increased HP and not the throttle response.

That's one of the reasons why some people call throttle response controller snake oil (Changing the throttle response in order to make the car feel more powerful). However, I don't agree. It makes the car more aggressive and more fun to drive. The perfect combination is more HP AND better throttle response.
So, they are doing it right and just don't talk about it. The disadvantage of course is, that you can't customize the throttle response and adapt it to the driving situation (stop-and-go traffic vs. racetrack or mountain road). That's the advantage of RaceChip. But with RaceChip, you would have to buy 2 products (a GTS for more HP and a XLR for better throttle response).

Back to your question:
Yes, throttle response controllers will still make a difference, even when the ecu tune changed the throttle response already. The questions ist not whether it will work, but whether you actually NEED it. That is a question I can't answer. Do you want your car even more responsive than it is right now? Then go for it.
RaceChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #18
RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by irobles3680 View Post
All it does is make the throttle open faster without needing to push the pedal down as much.

One thing I would like to add:
Often, there is a little built-in lag, which means that the throttle starts opening after a certain distance/time you pressed the gas pedal.
This can be removed electronically, but not by "pressing the gas pedal faster". That's the main advantage of such a device (or tune) compared to "pressing the gas pedal" faster. But I can not guarentee that all deviced or tunes remove this lag, I can just talk about the XLR.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #19
man0steel

Drives: 2016 2LT vert 2.0 R/S A8
So your saying the race chip will eliminate the throttle lag?
man0steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
RaceChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by man0steel View Post

Yes, the XLR will eliminate the throttle lag.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
Quote:
I'm going to order the XLR tomorrow, I think (almost fully convinced). I'll post my thoughts on it if I do.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
man0steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zts1986 View Post
I'm going to order the XLR tomorrow, I think (almost fully convinced). I'll post my thoughts on it if I do.
Please do, I hope this turns out to be a viable solution for throttle lag for those of us waiting for their warranty to expire.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #23
man0steel

If I understand correctly the XLR is a throttle controller that works in concert with the GTS chip tuner. How does the XLR differ from any other throttle controller to eliminate lag.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #24
RaceChip

Quote:
If I understand correctly the XLR is a throttle controller that works in concert with the GTS chip tuner. How does the XLR differ from any other throttle controller to eliminate lag.
GTS and XLR are two independent products that can be combined for even more fun.

Just the XLR on its own works perfectly well (also in a V6 or V8 Camaro). It is basically the same as other throttle controllers - just better.

It is safer:
It uses redundant systems, so if a system fails, you'll still have the stock throttle pedal signal. That's why this is the only throttle controller on the market that received a general type approval by German TUV.

It's better designed (technology, optic, haptic):
The XLR consists of 2 parts. The brainbox and the controller. The brainbox is installed in the footwell while the controller is on the dashboard (if you want it there). The controller can also be removed, so the device is invisible. If you get the version with app control, you can still change the settings via phone.
However, the controller is the best part. It's a small rotary dial that has a nice design that fits perfectly on the dashboard. It has some haptic feedback, so you don't even have to look when changing the settings.
Different colored LED light behind the different settings show your current mode. You can choose between 7 different settings.

Of course, also the elimination of the lag itself and the way of acceleration are different. But that will be different in any of the products.