Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads

Ordered and received the Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads for the standard Brembo brakes on my 2SS from KNS Brakes and they sent me HB453Z.585 for the fronts (the rears are HB727Z.592 which are the same ones listed by everyone). I was concerned that they don't match the part number that is listed on another post (HB726Z.582). I called Hawk and found out that both parts fit the front calipers but the ones I received don't have the anti-rattle weights along the top of the pads and the 582s have the round roller skate weights. My question is this...has anyone used the 585s and noticed any pad rattle or noise? Rather find out now before I install these (and cant get a exchange or refund after they are used). Thanks for any input.

Last edited by V8Addict; 10-15-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add
V8Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Good question! Do they make hawk brake pads for the v6 versions?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
V8Addict

Update: Replaced all the pads with those that I listed above and did the bed-in procedure. I am happy to report that after approx. 60 miles, there are no rattles or noise/squeaks. Brake feel is as good as stock but also has excellent stopping power.....and the best part, NO MORE BRAKE DUST (or next to nothing)!!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Turbo8u
Motorhead

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
So with the Hawk pads do you have better braking or just less dust?

thanks,
Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
Update: Replaced all the pads with those that I listed above and did the bed-in procedure. I am happy to report that after approx. 60 miles, there are no rattles or noise/squeaks. Brake feel is as good as stock but also has excellent stopping power.....and the best part, NO MORE BRAKE DUST (or next to nothing)!!!!
2002 Chevrolet Quad Cab Duramax
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon BUILT, Supercharged
1969 Camaro FAKE Z28
1968 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
Turbo8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
V8Addict

In my opinion, the new pads are as good (if not a little better) than the stock ones. Pedal feel is the same as stock but stopping power seems firmer (subjective to each person's opinion). As I stated before, the brake dusting is now next to nothing. I know its not eliminated but its now so slight that I cant really see any on the wheel after 20 miles.......the stock pads would show dark pad dust beginning to coat the wheels after 5. Even though the Hawks cost a bit more than the others, its a win/win situation to me.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
In my opinion, the new pads are as good (if not a little better) than the stock ones. Pedal feel is the same as stock but stopping power seems firmer (subjective to each person's opinion). As I stated before, the brake dusting is now next to nothing. I know its not eliminated but its now so slight that I cant really see any on the wheel after 20 miles.......the stock pads would show dark pad dust beginning to coat the wheels after 5. Even though the Hawks cost a bit more than the others, its a win/win situation to me.
From what I was reading the dust created by ceramic brake pads is not metallic and won't stick to the wheels like the conventional brake pads included with our Camaros. The only issue I've read with ceramic brake pads is they can be harder on your rotors. I haven't found any data on how much faster they wear down rotors in comparison to a typical brake pad. I'd be interested to read that data.

Either way I'm probably going to go this route after winter. I cannot stand the brake dust and I wouldn't be too upset if I got slightly less mileage out of my rotors than if I stuck with the OEM pads. The dust is maddening to a detailer.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
WDE

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (tuned L99)
I had a 2010 SS that I put Hawk ceramic pads (yellow box) at about 10-15K. The car was a daily driver and the pads and rotors were well worn, but were fine when I sold it at 100K. The rotors appeared smooth and I never had any noise either. Doing the same with our new 2017 SS. The dust is horrible on the stock pads.... especially after having the ceramics on the previous one.

2010 2SS IOM Tuned L99 since 08/2009
WDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Devius83

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
So most likely some sort of dust/dirt stuck in around the rotors somewhere, or would excessive brake dust build up cause this as well, the brakes work great and stop/feel smooth and I can verify a good pad material transfer
Thanks for the info everyone, these are my first brembo brakes and are very different from single piston in stopping power lol love them
Devius83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #9
Ugybug1900

Drives: Blue 2018 Camaro 2SS Manual
Quote:
Ordered and received the Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads for the standard Brembo brakes on my 2SS from KNS Brakes and they sent me HB453Z.585 for the fronts (the rears are HB727Z.592 which are the same ones listed by everyone). I was concerned that they don't match the part number that is listed on another post (HB726Z.582). I called Hawk and found out that both parts fit the front calipers but the ones I received don't have the anti-rattle weights along the top of the pads and the 582s have the round roller skate weights. My question is this...has anyone used the 585s and noticed any pad rattle or noise? Rather find out now before I install these (and cant get a exchange or refund after they are used). Thanks for any input.
Did you change your rotors at all?
  • MBRP Race Series Cat Back w/secondary Cat Delete
  • HERO Sequential Taillights, Diode Sidemarkers
Ugybug1900 is offline   Reply With Quote