Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
You have to remember this is not a conversion...
They buy the "Body in White" from Chevrolet (No Vin or mechanical components). Which is the shell of the main Gen 6 car. It has its own Vin and manufacturing info.

A Conversion would be buying a Camaro dismantling it, rebuilding it to make it different. Just like Shelby American does with the Mustang.

Plus there are multiple models using the Gen 6 body. The 455SD is just the big boy special edition (Only 50 will be made). There are other models that you can buy for much cheaper made by the same company. This one has a huge weight drop over the Gen6 because of the door, deck lid, spoiler, fenders, front, hood and shaker is all custom carbon fiber. But there is weight added on the Powertrain.

There are a few people that saw it at the auto show saying it looks like a meaner ZL1. But, that is subjective info. I will have to see if for myself to have an opinion.
OK, didn't know that. But why did this guy have to send his own 2SS for the conversion? http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477028

Do they offer to do the "kit" to both a body in white or your car? Or is this company that makes the Gen6 conversion different than the Gen5? All serious questions, and I'm not arguing with you since I have no clue on the specifics here.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
sdmcss

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE, 1985 MCSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdasnt3 View Post
OK, didn't know that. But why did this guy have to send his own 2SS for the conversion? http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477028

Do they offer to do the "kit" to both a body in white or your car? Or is this company that makes the Gen6 conversion different than the Gen5? All serious questions, and I'm not arguing with you since I have no clue on the specifics here.
They have changed their process on the Gen6 over the Gen5. When they were first starting out they had to buy the Trans Am name from GM/Pontiac even thought the company is not around the rights are reserved under GM. That is why their legal name is the Trans Am Depot. There are other companies that tried doing this too (Lingenfelter, Projxauto, and a few others). None of them got the rights to make their own version of the car.

TA Depot first started to do Gen5 conversions. After they got the rights for the T/A they begin to buy the "Gen5 body in white" from GM/Chevrolet 2013/2014. They still offer conversions on Gen6 cars. You get the 700hp upgrade on the factory LT1 motor and other touches.

One thing people don't know is that they don't only do the T/A's but they also make GTO/Judge variations. They also have a dealership that specializes in vintage Trans Ams and GTO's.

Conversions are cheaper because it is replacing the front/rear lights and bumpers and changing the interior, this includes badges and some options have powertrain upgrades.

The Full Trans Am Depot cars are just the shell with everything customized by the three guys that started it including the bored DI LT1 and blower. I got to talk to these guys at SEMA 2016 and they have changed their vision once Burt Reynolds got involved.

Having owned 4 T/A WS6's they have always been special to me and having the backbone of the Gen6 Camaro this makes it one hot/collector car. Me personally I would rather have the GM warranty on the Camaro than a converted Z/TA or 455SD. What is nice to hear is that they use Carbon Fiber on all body panels that is not the shell.

Past/Current:
2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible, M6, Silver Ice Metallic, Inferno Orange Interior and Stripes - SOLD
2007 Monte Carlo SS, LS4, Summit White, Silver Rally Stripes - SOLD
2006 Impala SS, LS4, Black on Black - SOLD
1985 Monte Carlo SS
sdmcss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #17
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmcss View Post
They have changed their process on the Gen6 over the Gen5. When they were first starting out they had to buy the Trans Am name from GM/Pontiac even thought the company is not around the rights are reserved under GM. That is why their legal name is the Trans Am Depot. There are other companies that tried doing this too (Lingenfelter, Projxauto, and a few others). None of them got the rights to make their own version of the car.

TA Depot first started to do Gen5 conversions. After they got the rights for the T/A they begin to buy the "Gen5 body in white" from GM/Chevrolet 2013/2014. They still offer conversions on Gen6 cars. You get the 700hp upgrade on the factory LT1 motor and other touches.

One thing people don't know is that they don't only do the T/A's but they also make GTO/Judge variations. They also have a dealership that specializes in vintage Trans Ams and GTO's.

Conversions are cheaper because it is replacing the front/rear lights and bumpers and changing the interior, this includes badges and some options have powertrain upgrades.

The Full Trans Am Depot cars are just the shell with everything customized by the three guys that started it including the bored DI LT1 and blower. I got to talk to these guys at SEMA 2016 and they have changed their vision once Burt Reynolds got involved.

Having owned 4 T/A WS6's they have always been special to me and having the backbone of the Gen6 Camaro this makes it one hot/collector car. Me personally I would rather have the GM warranty on the Camaro than a converted Z/TA or 455SD. What is nice to hear is that they use Carbon Fiber on all body panels that is not the shell.
Very detailed and thought out! Thank you for the info.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #18
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Wow, didn't know you could make the 6th gen look that ugly.

And I'm pretty sure they just used the Audi TT headlights
Yes they look similar!
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #19
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Gen5 ones used BMW headlights from what I remember.
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #20
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Ive got mixed feelings,some stuff i like some stuff i dont,definitely hate what they tried to do with the exhaust,ive got a late second gen t/a and always liked the dual outlet pipes on them but they missed the mark on that for sure
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #21
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
meh
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #22
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I really like it. It looks very aggressive and has the means to back up the looks.

I've always been a T/A fan and hated to see Pontiac go away.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #23
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Horrible
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 AM   #24
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
The T/A is dead just like Pontiac. Let them rest in peace.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #25
maraging

Drives: 15 1ss 1le
So very ugly. I looked at their website. They make some ugly cars.
maraging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #26
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
The T/A is dead just like Pontiac. Let them rest in peace.
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I'm just not a fan of people trying to make the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros look like Trans Ams. Not a fan at all.

Pontiac and the Trans Am are dead. But that's not even the half of it: trying to make the Camaro look like a Trans Am just makes the car look hideous and amateur.

Sorry if that hurts Hennesy's or Trans Am Worldwide's feelings but it's ugly and a dumb idea. That's something a Chinese toy company would make for a 5 year old.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote