#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
There is no 3,790 pound SS.. SS 1LE is close I guess, but an SS starts at 3,685.. So, you could have an SS which has the same suspension bits as v6 1LE within 200 pounds. Also, the v6 is closer to 14 seconds than 13. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just pointing out facts.

As far as engine power goes, I don't see how it's underpowered. Underpowered because handling is that good? Maybe.. That's why you step up to the SS I guess.
C&D tested a 2016 SS and weighed it at 3760.

People go out of their way to dyno cars all of the time, it would be cool to have people throw them on a scale, too.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #16
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
C&D tested a 2016 SS and weighed it at 3760.

People go out of their way to dyno cars all of the time, it would be cool to have people throw them on a scale, too.
Many people have back when the 6th Gen first came out. Here is one weighed by JDP Motorsports:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436603

And here are some more weights including the C&D 3760 you quoted. But that was for a 2SS (not the lighter 1SS) with Automatic Trans, Dual Mode Exhaust, Magnetic Ride Control, and a sunroof. Pretty much a loaded 2SS.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426520

It was 3672 for a 1SS with dual mode exhaust.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #17
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Many people have back when the 6th Gen first came out. Here is one weighed by JDP Motorsports:

And here are some more weights including the C&D 3760 you quoted. But that was for a 2SS (not the lighter 1SS) with Automatic Trans, Dual Mode Exhaust, Magnetic Ride Control, and a sunroof. Pretty much a loaded 2SS.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426520

It was 3672 for a 1SS with dual mode exhaust.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #18
KMK454

Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
They may be saying this because of balance. Break a car's performance in to three domains:

Acceleration
Handling
Braking

If you've ever driven a car where one domain is vastly stronger than the other two, you'll realize it may not be as fun in a street setting where balance becomes key. A car that is all power is mainly fun at a drag strip or a stop light. A car that is strongest in handling is mainly fun when being pushed on a track or on a mountain twisty. A car that is best at braking, well... it'll be safe.

The takeaway I got from their article was that the V6 1LE handles so well that, in a street setting, it needs a little more power to balance things out and make the car street-fun.

What's interesting is that the performance figures are really good. My 91 Camaro V8 has all the performance goodies, and at its best is probably a 6.0 second 0-60 car and maybe a 14 to 14.5 1/4 mile car. Things have come a long way, and I'd love to try out the V6.

Last edited by KMK454; 12-06-2016 at 08:31 PM.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
mojman2001

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS2
Really who buys sports car and looks at what kind of gas miles it gets. I did say sport car not 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder, no one you buy to enjoy it. Then you get the ones that complains it needs more power lmfao, get 8 cylinder then put turbo in it. For the gas miles for 8 cylinder 25 on the highway is still good, 19 in city that's a manual. As for auto i wouldn't know because im not driving a ladies car lmfao.
mojman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
DiabloAzteca

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 2SS HYPER BLUE
I was reading some of the comments people were making on the Car and Driver review about the V6 being a vehicle capable for most of the people out there. In my opinion, I have always wanted a classic Camaro in a V8 variation; unfortunately I was never able to find one to build myself nor had the time, even if I was to find one due to being in the military and dealing with deployments. I absolutely Love my 16 Camaro 2SS with MRC, NPP dual mode exaust and all the other extras I did not need. I know that I will never be able to drive my car to it's full potential, but the smile it puts on my face every time I hear the LT1 engine combined with the NPP exaust is sooo intoxicating. Simply Love it, definitely my dream car aside from a 1998 Lamborguini Diablo SV. LOl.
DiabloAzteca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 AM   #21
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I came to my SS 1LE from a turbo 4cyl FWD car.

I am REALLY trying to obey the break-in, but on the two occasions so far where I have listened to the voice that says "six more Fireball shots will be fun"...the SS 1LE has scared the crap out of me.

I totally get the appeal of the V6 1LE and respectfully disagree with C&D. I understand why you would want a track-capable weapon you can drive at 9/10th and not poop yourself.

BTW - it so happens the V6 1LE is faster around VIR than the GTPP. 0_o

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
I agree with the fact that I get a v6 1le, just not for me.

I know it's been said, but how can you complain about the v6 1le not having enough power? Since the V6 1le is just a SS with a v6....uhh, go for the 1 or 2ss if you want more power. It's not 11k more, the SS 1le is and that's a step even further. Nevermind the fact that with 335hp it's one of the more powerful v6's in its segment. Thehre are not a lot of NA v6's that make more power, Mustang and Challenger sure don't.

Possibly one of the most idiotic mainstream publication comments/complaints.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Possibly one of the most idiotic mainstream publication comments/complaints.
It's like they missed the point...
Old 12-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
any feeling of a lack of power is a lack of torque and where it is in the curve. the 3.6L has never been accused of being torquey.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #25
Camaroguy555

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2016 1SS NPP 6MT MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
There is no 3,790 pound SS.. SS 1LE is close I guess, but an SS starts at 3,685.. So, you could have an SS which has the same suspension bits as v6 1LE within 200 pounds. Also, the v6 is closer to 14 seconds than 13. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just pointing out facts.

As far as engine power goes, I don't see how it's underpowered. Underpowered because handling is that good? Maybe.. That's why you step up to the SS I guess.
Just saying JDP's 1SS weighed 3575 lbs...

Don't mean to get petty...but their vehicle also had 1/8 tank of fuel...a full tank would have added close to 92 lbs to that weight...putting it right in line with the claimed weights. Still impressive, none-the-less!
Camaroguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #26
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank237 View Post
Bravo. Truer words seldom spoken.

I owned a new 69 Chevelle SS 396 when I was nineteen. Loved it, unfortunately ruined it by turning it into more of a drag car than a street car. Thirty years later I bought a basket case Chevelle project car. In two years and $10K turned it into basically a new, original ,SS 396.

I recall it's maiden drive vividly. Man! Is this thing ever front heavy! It makes great sounds but it's SLOW. And it doesn't want to turn or stop! Looked great in the driveway. Made cool noises. But it was really a disappointment.

Had a VW GTI in 2010 that could beat it in ALL categories, except for great sounds.

I was fortunate to have grown up during the golden age of American Muscle Cars. It was great fun.

Now in my sixties we are in the second Golden Age....I agree with COmaro; Lets ENJOY it.
yes, after wanting a new V-8 Chevy for 40 years, I realized the V-6 is all I need these days. so with my Camaro purchase I'm another boomer living a dream, and they don't have drum brakes on all 4 wheels, and wolf's head oil in the crankcase. but I cant get a 2017 Nova either.
let the good times roll.
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #27
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
When you consider a Focus RS will beat this V6 1LE in Every metric for the same or about the same cost..AND the Focus has usable rear seats, much cargo space, and is awd.. Then consider it does it with 2 less cylinders (albeit with two more turbos) then; one can't disagree with the sentiments of Car and Driver's take. I am bewildered as to why the 1LE (V6 & V8) versions don't come with turbos, even with moderate turbo boost..that should place them in a realm of the covetest.. beyond any doubts.
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzefzoozoo View Post
When you consider a Focus RS will beat this V6 1LE in Every metric for the same or about the same cost..AND the Focus has usable rear seats, much cargo space, and is awd.. Then consider it does it with 2 less cylinders (albeit with two more turbos) then; one can't disagree with the sentiments of Car and Driver's take. I am bewildered as to why the 1LE (V6 & V8) versions don't come with turbos, even with moderate turbo boost..that should place them in a realm of the covetest.. beyond any doubts.
Except that the Focus actually costs $4,000 more than a V6 1LE, which already pricey for this segment...it's a Focus....FWD....boosted....a Focus....and a "hot hatch design" vs a sporty coupe.

I would be willing to bet that the V6 1LE is going to feel more fun around a track than the Focus RS. And that is the point of the V6 1LE...to be great around a track.

In all seriousness, I think they'll appeal to a different kind of buyer. The Focus RS is what a "fun" car looks like in Europe...they're going to try and see how it does here in the States. Regardless of which is better...I think it's hilarious that both of them are faster than a Mustang GT.