Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue View Post
When are you people gonna get it through your head that cold air intakes are a waste of money and don't add anything . they look cool and that's about it . I use to think they added HP & TQ and always bought them for previous Camaro I had and a C7 but after putting it on and tuning the car , I actually had less HP and TQ then before . it's especially worse for automatic cars cuz most of these are designed and tested on manuals not autos . Anyhow it's your money and do what you want but they don't add anything
I added a over the radiator cold air intake with a large k&n filter to my gto and if you don't think they can add hp you are misinformed.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #30
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
I added a over the radiator cold air intake with a large k&n filter to my gto and if you don't think they can add hp you are misinformed.
That engine had a throttle cable. Older engines respond better to CAI.

The new engines with drive by wire throttle are so dialed in and computer managed that a CAI without a full tune will do absolutely nothing for you. The sensors will counter adjust the air and fuel intake to compensate for the larger volume of air and you'll be running like you would with the stock intake and filter.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #31
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Waste of money IMO. Maybe if we were back in the 90's and 2000's a cold air intake would be worth it.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post

The new engines with drive by wire throttle are so dialed in and computer managed that a CAI without a full tune will do absolutely nothing for you. The sensors will counter adjust the air and fuel intake to compensate for the larger volume of air and you'll be running like you would with the stock intake and filter.
CAI's do more than just allow for larger volumes of air. Granted, the stock intake is a CAI already. So the other benefits aren't going to be as dramatic but they may still exist.

1. Colder air. Insulation, perhaps a better snorkel location, less distance the air has to travel, all have an effect on the intake air temp. While the ECU will compensate so that the volume of air is the same, the colder temperatures will benefit by keeping the timing as advanced as the ECU will allow and not have to pull timing as much like a stock setup would due to heat soak.

2. Less restrictive. Restrictions in the stock intake (perhaps due to cost or due to audible concerns) may be reduced with an aftermarket intake. This effects throttle response.

3. Aesthetics. While expensive, it wouldn't be the only thing that people spend that kind of cash just to make look a certain way without impacting performance.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Doesnt this come with a tune? and doesnt the tune help the car?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #34
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Once the mass airflow sensor became part of the electronics of engine operations management, the aftermarket cold air intake became useless. No matter how much air flows through, the MAF and ECM will conspire to run the engine at optimum performance and efficiency as programmed in the ECM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
For $525 I would want to see a flow bench comparison vs the stock intake.
And, as others have mentioned, you would need ECM reprogramming to take advantage of any improvement in airflow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Doesnt this come with a tune? and doesnt the tune help the car?
I think what everyone is missing on this one (at least based on what I'm reading and have heard) is that this GM intake actually includes with it a dealership recalibration. It may just be a MAF recalibration...not sure if its an actual ECM tune which I don't think it is.

So with that in mind, does it change anyone's feelings? GM has already stated it flows 17% better than stock (or something like that)

Now of course I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference in overall performance, but honestly, if I'm going to buy an intake, it will be this one.

- Retain factory warranty
- Looks nice
- Includes a recalibration

If you can get this at a bit of a discount or dealer employee cost, its a no brainer in my opinion.

Those of you that think an intake doesn't provide ANY gains on a modern vehicle are really just...well you are wrong. I'd agree on the 6th gen SS we aren't seeing much if any gains. But on the 5th gen cars, it was proven over and over via independent testing that certain intakes on both the V8 and V6 made more power than stock.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:20 PM   #35
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:

2004 GTO was throttle cable. 2005-06 GTO was electronic throttle
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #36
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolHyperBlue View Post
When are you people gonna get it through your head that cold air intakes are a waste of money and don't add anything . they look cool and that's about it . I use to think they added HP & TQ and always bought them for previous Camaro I had and a C7 but after putting it on and tuning the car , I actually had less HP and TQ then before . it's especially worse for automatic cars cuz most of these are designed and tested on manuals not autos . Anyhow it's your money and do what you want but they don't add anything
Which intake did you have on the C7? I have an M6 2016 and the Rotofab intake feels great, and has shown gains according to what I've read on these here forums.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #37
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Does anyone think the dealer will have to install this in order to get the tune if it does in fact come with a tune. I want to install myself to save the money and just have received thr tune installed.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #38
HyperSmurf

Drives: 2020 Riverside Blue Camaro 2SS
I'll let y'all know what I find out, mine is on order. My performance parts advisor indicated it come switch a code for a tune which includes labor..
1971 Firebird Esprit w/ 455
HyperSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #39
grnflash

Drives: Hard
I got an email alert and purchased from TGMPG this morning. These are shipping next week. They sent an additional email (talk about good up-front customer service) specifically to explain the install, in-stock & ship timing, etc. It comes with tune, and there's a special Op-Code for the labor on the tune.

So only install cost should be physical labor, which is a joke considering how easy it is, but necessary to maintain warranty. Maybe if you buy it from the Chevy dealer at full price they'll install for free, but I got a good discount from TGMPG, so I've got runway for addt'l (physical) install.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 PM   #40
D2enigma

Drives: 2016 2SS
Does it look identical to the one by CAI? I just got the one by CAI because it was available to order from California. I wonder if the same CARB cert would be applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
D2enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #41
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2enigma View Post
Does it look identical to the one by CAI? I just got the one by CAI because it was available to order from California. I wonder if the same CARB cert would be applicable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your CAI intake isn't CARB compliant. No aftermarket intake for the 6th gen that I've seen for any of the engine options are compliant or exempt. And I dont think any will be that we currently have.

Primarily, the aftermarket intake must retain all emissions related equipment from the stock unit, and none incorporate the carbon pad that you'll notice is present on the stock airbox.

This is called out specifically as required on all CARB certified intakes from the 5th gen options. It's almost guaranteed it will be required for the very similar 6th gen products. So even though most companies haven't likely even submitted for CARB testing, you can bet that whatever we have available now wont be passed anytime in the future.

edit: and this includes the GMPP options. They're not compliant and probably wont ever be.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #42
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
If you are looking for more power look elsewhere. But the GM (CAI) intake does look cool and will provide a better intake sound so you can get rid of the horrible sound tube. And it is nice you can at least think you are adding a performance mod with no warranty worries.