#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #43
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
Not a HC fan so not sure but doesn't it have a switch that changes the HP output from 707 to something far less?
I believe the Hellcat has two key fobs. The red fob is for full power. While the other one keeps it at 500.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #44
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
I believe the Hellcat has two key fobs. The red fob is for full power. While the other one keeps it at 500.
Ah only 500. Meh... Lol
Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #45
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I think you can also put the hellcat in a 300hp (rev limited) Valet mode.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #46
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
I have a 2015 ZL1 as my commute car, and we just traded in a 2014 Stingray for a 2016 Z06/Z07 for my spouse.

Way back when (a few years ago) when I was introduced to high HP sports and muscle cars, before the addiction started I remember asking about "too much horsepower". I couldn't imagine why anyone would need 650 hp for the street (or 580 for that matter), or be able to have any benefit from having it. Ha, so much for that.

Neither car will be tracked - they are purely street cars. Why do we have them - well, lots of reasons, but ultimately cause we'd rather die happy then with a padded bank account.

I drive a lot of two lane back roads in my commute. Being able to pass a slow moving vehicle in a blink of an eye so I'm not hanging out there is a blessing (ok, and fun). I love the sound of the supercharger and the exhaust rumbling / burbling away, I love the intense torque as I'm rowing gears , and I enjoy instead of hate my commute now.

The Z06 - whew, that's an animal. There's SO much more tork than the 2014 z51, more sound, suspension. The car is an absolute hoot. Car is as tame or not as the person driving it. Can you feel the umph in day to day driving - you bet you can. Can you kill yourself in it - sure, you can kill yourself in any car.

I believe the higher the HP, the more restraint and consciousness the driver needs to exercise. Want a car to put the pedal to the floor and be stupid - don't buy 650hp cars. Want the ride of your life and have a little self control - you'll be dumbfounded at what you can buy for 6 digit pricetags.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #47
HCT

Drives: Charger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2017ZL1 View Post
Not a HC fan so not sure but doesn't it have a switch that changes the HP output from 707 to something far less?
If you drive it with the black key fob, max power is 500HP. If you use the red key fob you get the full 707. With the red key fob you can choose to run in the reduced power mode if you want to.

Valet mode takes it down to like 300HP, and on the autos it locks out first and prevents manual gear selection.
HCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #48
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
I had been seriously debating between buying a Grand Sport and a Z06. After driving a Z06 on a track, I think I'm sold on the Grand Sport. The Z06 is just nuts, I don't see the point of 650 hp for myself even for a track car, let alone for the street.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #49
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
Power-wise, whatever floats your boat. I do however, kind of dislike the "dependence" on forced induction for higher output models. I guess I just really miss the LS7.
Large displacement naturally aspirated motors become more costly each year for car manufacturers due to corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) legislation. For example, in 2006 when the LS7 debuted the CAFE standard was 27.5 mpg. In 2017 the standard will be 33mpg. As the average required fuel efficiency goes higher and higher, the more difficult it is to reach that standard if you've got motors that are low efficiency in the fleet.
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:44 PM   #50
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2664 View Post
I have read at least one article and seen several videos on utube saying the reviewer actually prefers the stingray to the ZO6 mainly because the Z06 package makes it so you have to be very careful where you hit the gas meaning you are hesitant to get all of the power out of it and use it to its full potential.
That being said how do you feel about those statements? Also...these questions:
1- do you feel they are right? That if it is a street car you should stick with the base engine?
2- do you think the extra weight of the Camaro will negate some of this?
3- yes you will have to be more careful but once your use to it the supercharger will make it more enjoyable to drive?
4- won't the nannies keep this in check?
While I cannot obviously do not go full throttle in every case, never down shift to a gear where I'll be over 5kish, and am obviously careful in corners don't, but I do enjoy being able to floor the car without worrying about the car going crazy on me.
So to repeat myself, do you think it will suck some of the joy of driving the car by having to be very careful or do you think once use to it that all goes away?
I know I was a little hesitant to get on the gas when switching from a 6 to an 8 but now I'm use to it, it is great!
I think you have to consider the possibility that the above reviewer has an easier time driving a car that has better all-around balance instead of a car that's made big power a somewhat higher priority.

What you should "stick to in a street car" in the 'power-wise' context of this thread depends on how good your throttle modulation skills are and how disciplined you are about keeping yourself from driving beyond what the rest of your skill set can support.

Greater car weight will offset the power to a limited extent. Acceleration at any given speed tends to be slightly lower, meaning that you may have a little more time to respond to a deteriorating situation caused by that acceleration.

Do not for a single moment think that the nannies will always be able to keep a very powerful car in check. To be consciously aware that you'd be relying on them is an admission of something . . .

There are situations where the nannies can do a better job of maintaining control than most drivers, but they are still limited by the laws of physics. And you won't be able to tell in advance which situations that you might suddenly encounter will be beyond what they can accomplish with the prevailing amounts of tire grip. If you don't want to believe me, ask around among drivers whose cars were ever fitted with the Goodyear Supercar G:2's and who drove on those tires in near-freezing temperatures (owners of 5th gen 1LE's and ZL1's and the 660 HP GT500's come to mind here) about how effective any of the nannies were.

There's no way for me to predict whether the full time demand to be more careful with the throttle would suck any of the enjoyment out of ownership. Or whether incurring the risks associated with running it hard at the dragstrip or around a road course would be enough to satiate your appetite for throttle-fueled excitement.

Norm
Old 09-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #51
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
In my opinion, power is addicting and you will get used to whatever you have.

I don't think a 11.2 car is necessarily more fun than a 12.2 car. Sure it's faster but there is a point where you can't even use that power on the streets, but you can ring a SS out more than a ZL1. For that reason, I like the SS package more.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #52
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
A mid to low 10 sec car on the track that you can drive daily on the street was almost unheard of 10 years ago. Technology is beautiful thing and we are in a golden age right now.

I think bottom 10's/high 9's is where you now cross the line on usable power and durability.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #53
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
Large displacement naturally aspirated motors become more costly each year for car manufacturers due to corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) legislation. For example, in 2006 when the LS7 debuted the CAFE standard was 27.5 mpg. In 2017 the standard will be 33mpg. As the average required fuel efficiency goes higher and higher, the more difficult it is to reach that standard if you've got motors that are low efficiency in the fleet.
Yeah, I'm aware, hence Blue Oval's push for EcoBoost. But just as I said, I miss the all-motor LS7.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #54
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
Yeah, I'm aware, hence Blue Oval's push for EcoBoost. But just as I said, I miss the all-motor LS7.
There are plenty of Z/28s for sale still and for low $$$$, you could always pick one up
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #55
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
There are plenty of Z/28s for sale still and for low $$$$, you could always pick one up
That's not the same thing as continued availability in the new, lighter chassis.

Norm
Old 09-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #56
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlok View Post
Yeah, but different "bones", I really love what they did with the 6th Gen. That said, Z/28s are a much rarer sight up here, I'd have an easier time finding a C6 Z06.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote