Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
PLUG IN SHIFT LIGHT FOR US MANUAL TRANS GUYS

I have been using this great plug in shift light for a month now. Its completely programmable, and plugs right into the diagnostic port. You can mount this light anywhere, it also unclips from the adjustable stand so you can mount the light itself where ever with felcro.

https://www.speedhut.com/about-shiftlights.html
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
TheRedhead

Drives: 2018 Red Hot ZL1 1LE
My HUD does this.

Built!
TheRedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedhead View Post
My HUD does this.

I would like to see the HUD shift light you are referring to. I do not think the HUD has a programmable (set to any specific rpm) for each gear that comes on so bright at the exact moment you need to make your shift so you do not have to be looking at anything but where your going out the windshield. The HUD system you have to carefully, quickly glance at to see where your at RPM wise or moving light display wise, something you do not have to do with a shift light which is for drag race purpose's primarily. Something not really needed for road course racing.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Might try this.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
TheRedhead

Someone didn't like my answer...

Built!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
lt4camaro

Quote:
Someone didn't like my answer...
Its not that I didn't like your answer, its that you cannot even compare HUD to a good programmable shift light for drag racing manual cars.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
TheRedhead

I've been drag racing for 20 years, and have never used a shift light. I dunno.

As far as the HUD, it does have a progressive shift indicator, just like Ferrari and Porsche use.

I guess it all depends where you want to mount the unit.

Built!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #8
lt4camaro

Quote:
I've been drag racing for 20 years, and have never used a shift light. I dunno.

As far as the HUD, it does have a progressive shift indicator, just like Ferrari and Porsche use.

I guess it all depends where you want to mount the unit.

I have not seen a well sorted, competitive, consistant manual car with out a shift light. I thought Porsche and Ferrari were primarily DCT trans cars and how may do you see at drag strips?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
A light flashing, even off to the side, will be very noticeable without the driver having to glance at it. Unless the HUD can imitate that flash, IMO, it won't be as noticeable and might require more attention from the driver.

I'm just speculating somewhat here as I don't have the HUD, so clueless about the features.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
TheRedhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
I have not seen a well sorted, competitive, consistant manual car with out a shift light. I thought Porsche and Ferrari were primarily DCT trans cars and how may do you see at drag strips?
Now you have.

I listened to the engine and had an eye on the tach.

Even with the higher end auto, sometimes they'll use the paddles. Same scenario.
Attached Images

Built!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
A light flashing, even off to the side, will be very noticeable without the driver having to glance at it. Unless the HUD can imitate that flash, IMO, it won't be as noticeable and might require more attention from the driver.

I'm just speculating somewhat here as I don't have the HUD, and don't really now what features it has.
Exactly, you don't have to glance at it or read it or watch some series of moving lights or changing colors to determine when to shift all while always looking out the windshield un distracted. HUD is not adjustable . Timing a powershift is different from one person to the next. One guy may need a shift light to pop on 600 rpm before redline, another 400 rpm before redline to make up for the delay it take us humans to process the light flash to a powershift.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
TheRedhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post

I'm just speculating somewhat here as I don't have the HUD, so clueless about the features.
The HUD is fantastic because you can keep your eyes pointed. I guess it's hard to explain. You look through it. The colored dots fill toward the center, green, yellow, red.

Most of the time, shift lights are for modified dashes, which don't have a clear tach. See photo.

I mean, if you guys are hard core, by all means. Most of the units aren't worth the wiring time.
Attached Images

Built!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #13
TheRedhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Exactly, you don't have to glance at it or read it or watch some series of moving lights or changing colors to determine when to shift all while always looking out the windshield un distracted. HUD is not adjustable . Timing a powershift is different from one person to the next. One guy may need a shift light to pop on 600 rpm before redline, another 400 rpm before redline to make up for the delay it take us humans to process the light flash to a powershift.
I'm curious. What modifications have you done?

Built!
Old 05-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
lt4camaro

Quote:
The HUD is fantastic because you can keep your eyes pointed. I guess it's hard to explain. You look through it. The colored dots fill toward the center, green, yellow, red.

Most of the time, shift lights are for modified dashes, which don't have a clear tach. See photo.

I mean, if you guys are hard core, by all means. Most of the units aren't worth the wiring time.

So you have to read or monitor the different color DOTS , just give me one bright blast of light when its time to shift and that would have to be adjustable. The shift light I am referring to is a plug in at the diagnostic port for 96 and newer cars and can be mounted anywhere. No wiring necessary and that is why I even considered one. To wire a shift light in any late model is a nightmare as you indicated.