Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
To the OP don't just look to buy stuff for the name. If you're only buying stuff to say "I have the ZL1 1LE sway bars" then by all means go for it. But if your main purpose is to improve the handling of the car then research a little more and find a package. If I was you I would purchase the 1LE suspension package so you know everything was engineered to complement each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Thanks mom.........
You could have just not even responded to my thread because you don't know the answer as well, but you think I just want to say i have ZL1 1LE stuff. I know how fast i am believe me, and I want the stiffest factory bars available.

In summary just as I thought no one knows the answer.........
yes I did get angry at your assumption that I know nothing and want parts for the name.
Quote:
Thanks to all the wonderful help from this thread , I went ahead and purchased the ZL1 1LE bars........
But hey, at least I can say I have ZL1 1LE parts right!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #16
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
You really don't understand do you...
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #17
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
You realize the torsion rate on the ZL1 1LE bar is less than that of the SS 1LE bar.... right?

The ZL1-1LE bar is designed to work with a car sprung 3-4X that of the SS1LE, it doesnt need stiff sway bars.

Do you understand how suspensions actually work? Spring rate and sway bars should be thought of as one package. By forgoing GM's research and testing because you think you got it figured out is just plain stupid. Sorry. You are creating a lack-luster experience for yourself. Just sayin!
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #18
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
You realize the torsion rate on the ZL1 1LE bar is less than that of the SS 1LE bar.... right?

The ZL1-1LE bar is designed to work with a car sprung 3-4X that of the SS1LE, it doesnt need stiff sway bars.

Do you understand how suspensions actually work? Spring rate and sway bars should be thought of as one package. By forgoing GM's research and testing because you think you got it figured out is just plain stupid. Sorry. You are creating a lack-luster experience for yourself. Just sayin!
I should just let this die, but I can't. You realize that was the entire question and point of making this thread???????????? You are a new kind of forum "thatguy" that I have never come across before. The wait till the thread is over then come in with your answer and tell the OP they are wrong guy. Congrats on your new title

Yes I understand how suspensions work and that the ZL1 1LE is sprung way stiffer, but unless you know for a fact that the ZL1 1LE bars are a lower rate than the ZL1 bars, then you are just assuming. I think I'll take your trophy away for that actually, because once again no one actually knows the answer to the ENTIRE POINT OF THE THREAD! If you provide proof I'll give it back to you.

You are also "thatguy" who says blah blah blah factory GM did it best. We've all heard that guy too much, so no trophy there. Did you not notice I have a regular SS? I suppose you "know" that the SS bars are stiffer than the ZL1 1LE's too because my car is sprung softer too.

Heaven forbid I try something different for a cheap suspension upgrade. "We are all sheep must follow the herd. OMG he did something different and wasted a whole 155 outrageous dollars and he now has an adjustable rear bar to tweak!!!!"

I will tell you how a forum is supposed to work. Now that I am in possession of the ZL1 1LE bars I can go measure and compare them. I will then provide (crude) data and answer my own thread for the better of this community. I still don't have ZL1 bars to compare though, so hopefully someone else who wants to help the forum can provide me with the data for comparison. If I wasted money, hopefully I can exchange them, if not double bonus that I am showing the forum another option with actual data to back it up.

If you don't want any data I can just go post about the 18 Mustang or ask why low dust pads don't stop the car very well. Those seem like very common topics that everyone cares about.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol do you even track your car or what because we both have and he kinda sorta knows what hes talking about?
Old 12-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
I should just let this die, but I can't. You realize that was the entire question and point of making this thread???????????? You are a new kind of forum "thatguy" that I have never come across before. The wait till the thread is over then come in with your answer and tell the OP they are wrong guy. Congrats on your new title

Yes I understand how suspensions work and that the ZL1 1LE is sprung way stiffer, but unless you know for a fact that the ZL1 1LE bars are a lower rate than the ZL1 bars, then you are just assuming. I think I'll take your trophy away for that actually, because once again no one actually knows the answer to the ENTIRE POINT OF THE THREAD! If you provide proof I'll give it back to you.

You are also "thatguy" who says blah blah blah factory GM did it best. We've all heard that guy too much, so no trophy there. Did you not notice I have a regular SS? I suppose you "know" that the SS bars are stiffer than the ZL1 1LE's too because my car is sprung softer too.

Heaven forbid I try something different for a cheap suspension upgrade. "We are all sheep must follow the herd. OMG he did something different and wasted a whole 155 outrageous dollars and he now has an adjustable rear bar to tweak!!!!"

I will tell you how a forum is supposed to work. Now that I am in possession of the ZL1 1LE bars I can go measure and compare them. I will then provide (crude) data and answer my own thread for the better of this community. I still don't have ZL1 bars to compare though, so hopefully someone else who wants to help the forum can provide me with the data for comparison. If I wasted money, hopefully I can exchange them, if not double bonus that I am showing the forum another option with actual data to back it up.

If you don't want any data I can just go post about the 18 Mustang or ask why low dust pads don't stop the car very well. Those seem like very common topics that everyone cares about.
I actually have spring rate data from going to get springs tested alongside swaybar measurements and data but your attitude and responses in this thread are the kind that make me not want to help you out...ever.

Keep the trophies on your shelf.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #21
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:

Haha. Good luck !
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
lol do you even track your car or what because we both have and he kinda sorta knows what hes talking about?
I happen to have the fastest time at one of the tracks on our fast list, but I prefer not to broadcast that I'm tracking my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
I actually have spring rate data from going to get springs tested alongside swaybar measurements and data but your attitude and responses in this thread are the kind that make me not want to help you out...ever.

Keep the trophies on your shelf.
I read your stuff before posting this thread and it's great that you were willing to spend the money and time to help this community. Now I was asking a question that you didn't cover in any of your testing. It seems that no one has tried this yet, so I decided to go ahead with it and provide the community with my findings like you did. But I get called stupid for trying this. You're damn right that gives me an attitude. Perhaps I should keep my keyboard mouth shut as I love this place for all the help I get, but people not answering my question and assuming i know nothing irritates me so bad.

I would have greatly appreciated your help before everyone else gave zero help to the question at hand. Actually you already did help me out, I bought your taillights off of you. Thanks again for those! I'll PM you my swaybar measurements and weights then you can add them to your thread if you wish, this one is done. Idk where to even go to get actual rates tested so that is all I will be able to provide.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #23
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
He was being sarcastic, man.

Meanwhile you've just been a total undereducated belligerent asshole who can't admit when he's out of his depth for this entire thread, excellent self-representation!
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #24
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

This thread is becoming quite comical!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
I happen to have the fastest time at one of the tracks on our fast list, but I prefer not to broadcast that I'm tracking my car.
Proof? Doubt it. Shocking.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
He was being sarcastic, man.

Meanwhile you've just been a total undereducated belligerent asshole who can't admit when he's out of his depth for this entire thread, excellent self-representation!
MJK,

ignore this kid. i dont think he has figured out this forum is for adults. young S2k, your time would be better spent on the honda boards...where all the other juveniles play.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #27
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Says the 'adult' who threw a fit about a Valet attendant moving his car? Source considered, easily dismissed.

Please, point out on the doll where I've hurt you...
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #28
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
While I understand the SS 1LE is a great car I would like to think there could be improvements over what GM has provided.

Taking Fifty's spring data.

Non-MRC SS Rates: 137 lbs/in (Front) 577 lbs/in (Rear)
1LE Rates: 178 lbs/in (Front) 539 lbs/in (Rear)

Spring rates seem to be within the "noise". The two major variables would possibly be the MRC vs Non MRC shocks and the Non MRC SS has bumpstops that play into the suspension package vs the SS 1LE, which I don't believe it has bumpstops.

Rough Swaybar Data

Talked with a MFG and according to them the swaybars are increased ~21% in the front and 36% in the rear from the SS vs the SS 1LE

Front Bar Rate
SS - ~376lbs/inch
SS 1LE - ~457lbs/inch

Rear Bar Rate
SS - ~115lbs/inch
SS 1LE - ~157lbs/inch

From a limited autocross experience with the SS 1LE, I personally think it could improve especially with various surfaces. Transitionally it is much better than my stock SS but still a little eager in the rear, not sure if that is due to the wheel widths/shocks/swaybars. I do have a Custom Koni package that I recently installed on my SS, so I should know shortly how much that will improve the car transitionally and loading it laterally. Then I will determine if I need a front or rear bar within the next couple of events.

Looking at the overall data provided though, the SS 1LE improvements really seem to be just an OTS (off the shelf) sway bar solutions that a lot of MFG would have probably provided if the SS 1LE wasn't around. Maybe because the SS 1LE package came out, some MFG's may have changed their test mule to that package. To me it doesn't seem out of line to wonder if the ZL1 1LE offers stiffer bars.