#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 02-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Question Holy Brake Dust!!!

I have a new 2020 2SS with the Brembos, I have about 250 miles on it so far, please tell me the brake dust lessens after the brakes are worn in a bit???

If not, are there much better pads out there (for street use) that don't create anywhere near as much dust???

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I have a new 2020 2SS with the Brembos, I have about 250 miles on it so far, please tell me the brake dust lessens after the brakes are worn in a bit???

If not, are there much better pads out there (for street use) that don't create anywhere near as much dust???

Can I ask was it difficult to install your hero smoked reflectors? It looks to me like you have to remove the complete bumper
Justcruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcruising View Post
Can I ask was it difficult to install your hero smoked reflectors? It looks to me like you have to remove the complete bumper
It wasn't bad, a short Philips #2 and a little patience... Took about 20 minutes total, no bumper removal at all... Just reach around outboard of the exhaust and you can get to the single Philips on each reflector... They are tight because they are self threaded into the plastic, but some persistence will get it done...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Nope the brakes dust doesn't get better, those are best pads .
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

If you want full SS braking performance, then as mentioned by others, stock pads are it. But they dust just from looking at your brake pedal! Judging from most of the reviews on this board, it looks like you can get 80-85% of that braking performance but a 95% reduction in brake dust by going with the Powerstop Z26 pads. I’ll probably go that route myself.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
Justcruising

Quote:
It wasn't bad, a short Philips #2 and a little patience... Took about 20 minutes total, no bumper removal at all... Just reach around outboard of the exhaust and you can get to the single Philips on each reflector... They are tight because they are self threaded into the plastic, but some persistence will get it done...
Maybe we have different diffusers i can’t get to my screws from behind

Last edited by Justcruising; 09-26-2020 at 02:04 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:47 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe we have different diffusers i can’t get to my screws from behind
We have the same difusser... You can certainly get to the screws... There is only 1 screw on each reflector right above the outboard exhaust pipe on each side... You just need a short #2 Phillips screwdriver...

Old 02-16-2020, 04:03 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:

Powerstop Z26. Zero dust. You'll give up a bit of initial bite.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #9
Justcruising

Quote:
We have the same difusser... You can certainly get to the screws... There is only 1 screw on each reflector right above the outboard exhaust pipe on each side... You just need a short #2 Phillips screwdriver...

Thank you sir I will give it another shot
Old 03-04-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Well I ordered a complete set of PowerStop Z26 pads from Amazon, going to install them tomorrow, hope they help a lot...

I would think with only 400 miles on my car, I'm fine not doing anything to the rotors...

Old 04-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #11
COmatt27

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Hey did you ever install the brakes? I am doing that exact same install and I am having a heckuva time with getting the new rotors and new brakes on the front. Any tips or suggestions?
2016 Escalade ESV (6.2L), A8, Black Raven, Gibson Racing Headers - CURRENT People Mover
COmatt27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:50 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by COmatt27 View Post
Hey did you ever install the brakes? I am doing that exact same install and I am having a heckuva time with getting the new rotors and new brakes on the front. Any tips or suggestions?
I installed the new pads at 400 miles, had some squeaking and lines on the rotors, pulled them off and lightly sanded everything and put them back together, work great, no noise and no dust! Nice even marks on the rotors now...

Old 04-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
nope the brake dust will only get worse alot of guys swap to the powerstop z26 pads if its just a street car aka no track use to get less dust they work !
Old 04-23-2020, 06:00 PM   #14
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmatt27 View Post
Have you seen this video:

lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote