Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #43
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES

Borla Headers and ATAK.. 1st Track day with all the MODS.. I need a Brake sponsor now as I lost brakes end of 2nd 20 min session!

The car sounds amazing the stupid Galaxy 5 doesnt do it any justice plus it was windy as heck!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #44
aa406079

Drives: New : 2017 SS 1LE Old: 2012 TTRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa@Borla View Post
BORLA's 2017 Camaro SS features Brand New Borla Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips!! It's on its way to SEMA now and will be displayed in the BORLA Booth! (Booth # 23243) Will we see you there?

Here's a sneak peek:

Attachment 829560
Attachment 829562 Attachment 829561

Let us know what you think!

BLACK OUT THAT SILVER LINE OF METAL and it's good.... leave it as is and it looks cheesey...
aa406079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #45
Lisa@Borla

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Fo12ce View Post
I went to the Borla Tech Day at Cunningham Motorsports yesterday. It was a pretty good event and I thought I'd share some stuff. Related to this thread, they had the same car there from SEMA in the original post above. It had a Vortech supercharger, and full cat-less long tube header back exhaust (same silver/carbon tips). It also had an awesome Brembo upgrade too that I was drooling on.

(PIC)

Lisa the OP was there and told me the carbon tips will be available very soon. I told her a few of us though it would look better with a black interior. She said they were aware of the feedback and decided to go with black for the production piece. It looks anodized. Bravo to them for listening to customers, I thought it looked way better and much more subtle now. They had a sample there:

(PIC)

No Flash:
(PIC)

Flash:
(PIC)

Stainless double walled tip below. I should have gotten a direct rear shot but you get the idea and I'm sure it's on the site. They look larger in person but I think it's the color and double wall design playing tricks on your eyes maybe:

(PIC)

Some other details I got from the Q&A while there that might be of interest:

-Whether you choose the double walled stainless tip or the carbon fiber, that inner pipe diameter is the same. Visually to me the inside tubing of the Borla "intercooled" Carbon tip looked smaller but it's an optical illusion. I doubt you'll ever notice once it gets black anyway.

-Cunningham runs the S-type on their car. That system, as well as the others, manage drone very well. That's why the owner chose it.

-David Borla explained how they identify a drone frequency and design the muffler/resonator combo to eliminate that frequency by tuning it to the inverse one.

-If you live in CA and have a concern that the exhaust may not meet the 95DB limit in the CA vehicle code they comply, so no worries. If you have NPP and set the car to the snow/ice with the NPP compatible versions it will be under for sure.

-(I already knew this but) Any cat-backs do not need a CARB# in CA because they are after all the emissions equipment (the cat being the last emissions part in the system).

-Stainless systems have a lifetime warranty and although they can discolor will not corrode or rust. They can be hand brushed or polished if you are into that. I asked about coating and the marketing guy said that's usually for inferior metals and may not be a good idea due to the expansion and contraction of stainless.

-I asked David Borla and his dad if they had an opinion as to why most exhaust for domestic cars use a slip fit or clamp system as opposed to flanges and gaskets like most Japanese or Euro cars. They agreed it may be partly tradition but said they like the clamps for weight savings and adjust-ability.

-They mentioned that they make in house plenum and valve covers in carbon fiber. They were on the SEMA car but I forgot to get a picture. They looked pretty good. They are made at the TN location. They are a gloss finish while the tips are more a semi gloss (which I happen to like because it looks more like real structural dry carbon made in an autoclave).

-I mentioned the one thing that strikes me about the stock "suit case" muffler is that it is very flat and covers the void under the back of the car. It sort of goes with the what GM tried to do in other areas of the under carriage it making it flat to reduce lift and possibly aid mileage. I said it would be cool if they offered something like a diffuser or cover for the void left by going to dual mufflers. He said that would be cool especially with their carbon abilities now, however, they have offered a similar product before and it didn't sell well. I think it may have been for the Corvette??? I guess you can't have everything.

From memory I think that's it.

A cool little story at least for me personally. At one time I worked for a pretty well known Japanese performance company called HKS. They made exhaust among other things. The "H" and long time president Mr. Hasegawa and Mr. Borla (the Dad) were friends. Mr. Borla got him into planes and commented about what a nice man he was (Mr. Hasegawa passed away a few years ago). It made sense to me why in the old HKS catalogs they had one random picture of a supped up small plane with the company logo. Both David, his dad and the other staff were very friendly. When ever I decide to pull the trigger on an exhaust I'll be giving the S-type a really hard look. Really nice quality and sound level for what I want. The tip design will be a hard choice but I don't think you can go wrong now. Unless they offer titanium

PS. Lisa if you read this titanium can be bolted on just like your carbon tip

It was nice to meet you on Saturday, G Fo12ce. Thanks for coming to our Camaro Tech Day at CMS! (Also, nice write up! )

Yes, we have in fact decided to also offer Carbon Fiber Tips with a Black interior in addition to the Silver interior ones shown on our Borla Camaro. That said, you will have both options to choose from. Thank you to everyone for your input on our Carbon Fiber tip design. We really appreciate all the feedback and hope you all will like the new black interior option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Fo12ce View Post
So I noticed the tips actually had screws holding them to the inner structure. I asked Lisa if she knew if the screws were the final production or if they will be riveted, because I've seen that on other systems. She wasn't sure.

I'm not sure how the stainless tip mounts, but if it's on the piping between the tip and the muffler maybe they attach in the same spot. Hopefully she'll come here and answer.
I have received confirmation that the intercooled/interior part of our Carbon Fiber Tips will be riveted onto the pipe, and the Carbon Fiber will be screwed onto the intercooled/interior part.
Lisa@Borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #46
Lisa@Borla

A big THANK YOU to everyone that came out to the Borla Camaro Tech Day at Cunningham Motorsports! We greatly appreciate all the support we've received from the Camaro community.

Full Event Photo Album here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/BorlaExh...54541649072362

Please feel free to let us know your thoughts on the event, and share your photos and videos with us!

Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7426.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  200.1 KB Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7368.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  227.8 KB Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7436.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  195.6 KB Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7366.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  198.3 KB Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7407.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  189.4 KB Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7399.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  131.3 KB
Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #47
Lisa@Borla

Borla Exhaust Systems for the 2016-2017 Camaro SS with Carbon Fiber Tips have finally been released!

Name:  Borla - CMS Tech Day - 4-8-2017_7342.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  161.7 KB

2 Options are available: Silver Center or Black Center. (Silver Center shown in above photo.) Check them out below and let us know what you think!

NPP with Valves (4 tips; valves)

NPP without Valves (4 tips; valve delete)

Non-NPP (2 tips; no valves)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 04-15-2017, 01:15 AM   #48
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
$2000 for an axle back? That's a hard pass for me.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #49
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I can't believe how much they ask for axle back Exhaust for our cars as a whole.
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #50
david borla

Drives: Ford GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Totally understand your skepticism but I'm not sure if you're aware that you can find Borla axle-backs for less than $800 here - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-11923

We offer many different configurations for the Camaro 6 at a broad spectrum of prices starting at under $800.

NPP is a $900 option from General Motors because dual path mufflers, with valves, add significant complexity and cost to an exhaust system.

As you might imagine, the NPP option adds a similar cost to our systems which include this function.

Add 4 carbon fiber tips to the NPP option and the systems become costly.

Anyhow, as I mentioned you can find Borla axle-backs for less than $800.

You won't find a no drone axle-back with NPP (dual mode, valves), carbon fiber tips, made in The USA from T-304 stainless steel (not 400 series), with a million mile warranty at a more affordable price.

And as I mentioned above - We offer many different configurations at a broad spectrum of prices starting at under $800.
david borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 PM   #51
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
To each their own but these tips are not very attractive. AT ALL!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #52
david borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
To each their own but these tips are not very attractive. AT ALL!!!
Thanks for your input. I'm sure you know we offer T-304 stainless steel tips as well.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #53
LesBaer
FMPG

Do they come with a special Philips head screw driver so we can quickly change up the look?
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #54
david borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
Do they come with a special Philips head screw driver so we can quickly change up the look?
Tips are welded to the system so this is not possible. However, just about any reputable muffler shop can swap tips out for you.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #55
LesBaer
FMPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post
Tips are welded to the system so this is not possible. However, just about any reputable muffler shop can swap tips out for you.
Sorry, that was not intended as a serious question. If I were to ever purchase an exhaust it would probably be yours, but I would keep my black slant cut tips.

I'm not a fan of how these look from the back.

ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #56
Bigdave18629

Drives: 2016 White 2SS Vert A8 Maggie S/C
Looking for the retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by david borla View Post

Have the stainless tipped axel back ATAK, want the retrofit carbon tips for my Maggie charged 2ss..
Bigdave18629 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
borla, borla exhaust, camaro, carbon fiber, exhaust