Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 04-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #337
Mgsouthwest2001

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS 8A Hyper Blue
I posted a few pages back that I thought I felt the shudder in my 18. Well, today I took the car on a 2 hour road trip up the mountain and back. So the transmission got some work in going up and down. I felt it shudder a few times today for sure. Each time it was still really quick, like just 2 or 3 seconds and then back to normal but it felt like rumble strips and I wasn't running over any in the road. For what its worth, I am running a range so the car was in V8 mode. For the past few weeks, I have also had the rear end groan on the first couple of turns when it has been colder out. Just a couple of turns and its gone too. What do you guys recommend? Do I take it in to the dealer now or will I have to wait for the shudder to get worse before they do the flush? Right now it is so quick and infrequent, I seriously doubt it would do it when the tech drove it. But, I would sure love to go ahead and get both issues addressed and fixed before they get bad . Car only has 3500 miles.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #338
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
All of this has me hypervigilant for evidence of the shudder. I don't think I have it (yet), but I want to clarify the signs of it. I know it's supposed to be like rumble strips - is it pretty obvious? Is it usually brief as described by Mgsouthwest2001? Is it felt mostly through the whole car, or the pedal, or the steering wheel? Does it usually occur when cruising at a steady speed? Are there other signs?

There are times where I feel some roughness which I've assumed has been the pavement.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #339
Mgsouthwest2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
All of this has me hypervigilant for evidence of the shudder. I don't think I have it (yet), but I want to clarify the signs of it. I know it's supposed to be like rumble strips - is it pretty obvious? Is it usually brief as described by Mgsouthwest2001? Is it felt mostly through the whole car, or the pedal, or the steering wheel? Does it usually occur when cruising at a steady speed? Are there other signs?

There are times where I feel some roughness which I've assumed has been the pavement.

I have been hyper vigilant too. And yeah, there have been times when I have been uncertain and wondered if I was just feeling rough pavement. The first time it happened, I even turned around and came back down the road over the same place to test and I didn't feel the same thing. So, that was when I first got concerned. Now, after today I am pretty much certain that the brief vibration I felt a few times was the shudder and not the pavement. From what others have said, it often starts like mine but then gets progressively worse. I don't want mine to have to get bad before it gets fixed. I think I am going to call my dealer and set up a time to take it in, first of the week.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #340
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post

On my car, I originally thought it was rough pavement. Once I read about it on this forum I started to pay attention. The best way to describe it is like mild rumble strips.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:36 AM   #341
HyperBlue2017

Drives: 2018 Camaro Hyper Blue 2SS
Taking my 2017 to the dealer on 4-10-19 to have them confirm that it has it, I know it has it.
HyperBlue2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #342
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgsouthwest2001 View Post
I posted a few pages back that I thought I felt the shudder in my 18. Well, today I took the car on a 2 hour road trip up the mountain and back. So the transmission got some work in going up and down. I felt it shudder a few times today for sure. Each time it was still really quick, like just 2 or 3 seconds and then back to normal but it felt like rumble strips and I wasn't running over any in the road. For what its worth, I am running a range so the car was in V8 mode. For the past few weeks, I have also had the rear end groan on the first couple of turns when it has been colder out. Just a couple of turns and its gone too. What do you guys recommend? Do I take it in to the dealer now or will I have to wait for the shudder to get worse before they do the flush? Right now it is so quick and infrequent, I seriously doubt it would do it when the tech drove it. But, I would sure love to go ahead and get both issues addressed and fixed before they get bad . Car only has 3500 miles.
Take the car in now...most likely they will do the new flush, probably a TCM reflash and be on your way...The rear end groan, there is nothing they can do to make it go away for good. Mine does it when cold out, goes away after a few left turns...and keep using the Range, that is what I do even after the new flush/reflash.

Where in the mountains did you drive? I am always up in the mountains, Smokies, Blue Ridge, etc. I am planning on a spring mountain ride soon somewhere in NC, love the roads here!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #343
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post

Where in the mountains did you drive? I am always up in the mountains, Smokies, Blue Ridge, etc. I am planning on a spring mountain ride soon somewhere in NC, love the roads here!
We're planning on doing the Back of the Dragon, Snake, Dragon, BRP and Cherohala Skyway in July on the way to Camarofest!
Old 04-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #344
bdavies11

Quote:
Take the car in now...most likely they will do the new flush, probably a TCM reflash and be on your way...The rear end groan, there is nothing they can do to make it go away for good. Mine does it when cold out, goes away after a few left turns...and keep using the Range, that is what I do even after the new flush/reflash.

I just had mine done with the new fluids. So far no shudder but still too early to tell if its gone for good. Will probably take at least a few thousand miles to have a good idea. I Plan on going up to the blue ridge as well once the weather gets warmer. Have you ever gone up the Diamondback - NC 226A? It's just north of Marion and goes right up to the Blue Ridge. Something like 190 curves in 12 miles. I plan on doing that real soon for a little test to put some miles on the new fluids.
bdavies11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 PM   #345
Mgsouthwest2001

Quote:

Thanks. I called the dealer. They are going to give me a call back and hopefully we can get a time set up to take it in. I have decided not to worry about the rear end. That sound is quick too and its gone after the first left turn or two. After what you have said and reading other people's experiences with the groan, I am inclined to believe it is probably just the nature of the beast. If it gets worse I will deal with it. No big deal right now. But, I want the shudder checked. I drove from Morganton up to the town of Newland yesterday. Newland is in Avery County. I went up Hwy 181. Don't know if you have ever been on that road but it is one big curve after another. It was a fun drive.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #346
ponder3

Drives: 2017 2SS
2017 2SS 6800

Yes just started. MFG 2016
ponder3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #347
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
I just had mine done with the new fluids. So far no shudder but still too early to tell if its gone for good. Will probably take at least a few thousand miles to have a good idea. I Plan on going up to the blue ridge as well once the weather gets warmer. Have you ever gone up the Diamondback - NC 226A? It's just north of Marion and goes right up to the Blue Ridge. Something like 190 curves in 12 miles. I plan on doing that real soon for a little test to put some miles on the new fluids.
Yup been up there a few times...I take the Devils up (80), off of 221 from I-40, then cut across the BRP and usually stop in Little Switzerland for lunch, the Inn is a real nice place to eat, especially in nice warm weather outside on their patio....then take the Diamondback on the way down, only 100 miles or so each way, so definitely a nice day trip.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #348
SSport16

Quote:
Thanks. I called the dealer. They are going to give me a call back and hopefully we can get a time set up to take it in. I have decided not to worry about the rear end. That sound is quick too and its gone after the first left turn or two. After what you have said and reading other people's experiences with the groan, I am inclined to believe it is probably just the nature of the beast. If it gets worse I will deal with it. No big deal right now. But, I want the shudder checked. I drove from Morganton up to the town of Newland yesterday. Newland is in Avery County. I went up Hwy 181. Don't know if you have ever been on that road but it is one big curve after another. It was a fun drive.
No haven't been up there, have to check that out. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM   #349
Allez

Quote:
I have been hyper vigilant too. And yeah, there have been times when I have been uncertain and wondered if I was just feeling rough pavement. The first time it happened, I even turned around and came back down the road over the same place to test and I didn't feel the same thing. So, that was when I first got concerned. Now, after today I am pretty much certain that the brief vibration I felt a few times was the shudder and not the pavement. From what others have said, it often starts like mine but then gets progressively worse. I don't want mine to have to get bad before it gets fixed. I think I am going to call my dealer and set up a time to take it in, first of the week.
I don't know. Sometimes when I drive it I think maybe . . .

I have to get the steering recall done, so maybe I'll just have the dealer see what they think.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #350
Mgsouthwest2001

UPDATE: I took the Camaro in to the dealer this morning. I went ahead and unplugged my range for the drive to the shop. That made a big difference. My dealer is about 25 minutes from my house. The shudder became worse and more noticeable on the way to the shop when the car was in 4 cyl mode and I was giving it light throttle. They confirmed that I do have the TC shudder and are doing the flush with the new fluid on the car. It won't be done until tomorrow morning as they are backed up. The service tech I spoke too said this new fluid is a guaranteed fix. Yeah, we will see I guess. To be honest, I have never been much of a believer in miracle in a bottle fixes. For what its worth, my car is a late build 18. Built in 6-18. This really stinks that the problem has been going on for so long and has affected so many GM vehicles.