Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
Texas 6Gen

Drives: Future 6th Gen Owner
Cross Shop with s5?

I am looking at maybe purchasing a new car soon and have been leaning towards a Camaro for awhile now. However, I've recently started looking at something like a 2013 Audi s5. I know that this is a bit of an odd comparison, but I was interested if any of you had any insight/opinion on this topic.
Texas 6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:42 PM   #2
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Have you driven both? If not; do so and let us know what YOU think.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Get well acquainted with a good Audi mechanic who cuts you good deals. Maintenance queen them Audis are. And nowhere near the BIG brass balls of an SS, 1LE, or ZL1, with a full factory warranty backed even on-track. Just my humble opinion.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
Cross Shop with s5?

I cross shopped with the S5 and the M4. Test drove all three extensively. Chose the Camaro.

And I am someone who has never bought American (except for a pickup to tow my old track car).

You will not be disappointed. When you test drive them you will see. The Audi and BMW interiors are nice, the Camaro to me is like 80% of the refinement to those, but the driving experience is completely different.

They are turbo charged engines. The Camaro is just a brutal V8 monster that can turn unbelievably well with MRC. Honestly, after I drove the Camaro the other two just felt gutless, which is crazy given that performance wise they are within a couple tenths of a second to each other.

I will say though that the S5 is a pretty sweet looking ride, however, the problem for me is that it's hard to tell the difference between one and an A5 and well, like beamers, EVERYONE in LA has an S5 and an M4 and they are all the stereotypical douchebag.

If you are looking for a luxurious car that isn't too loud and brutal but can get on it when need it then go with the S5. If you want a nice refined car that can be a monster but then a comfy highway car, get the Camaro. It honestly comes down to your preference. This isn't your dads Camaro. These cars are serious contenders, and from a lifelong BMW guys (with an EvoX in between) do yourself a favor and go with a fully loaded 2SS and save yourself some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #5
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I would get the Camaro hands down.

I owned a S4 Avant - V8 / Manual. Great car. Loved it. But it's not in the same league as the SS. I would compare it more with a vette or RS4 or M3/4.

I have owned a bunch of vettes and bmws plus that one Audi - oh and interestingly enough also had an evoX, which I hated. Plus a ctsv.

Even after 8 BMWs I am completely impressed with the SS in all areas - it's the complete package and honestly competes well with the German stuff.
Also my DD is an E39 M5.

Given all that - Camaro hands down no contest.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I prefer the S5 interior/exterior but the Camaro for everything else. The driving experience (especially with the manual) is very hard to match IMO.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:06 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Audi makes a wonderful car. Fit, finish and materials are the industry standard for luxury cars so you are paying that. Compared t o the Camaro, you are also getting a 4 year warranty so know your mechanic for deals isn't an immediate need.

The 2016 S4 is SC V6 that makes a lot of torque. I believe in 2017, they went with a turbo that makes a bit more HP and torque. You'll find it much better than a Camaro V6 in many regards, but IMO, not worth the 20 to 25 grand more you'll pay.

But as c4racer points out, the S5 isn't an SS competitor. It would be a 100 hp down on an SS. The real competitor would be the RS5 which is upwards of $70,000.

I owned an S4 before my SS (sedan) and it was the nicest car I've ever owned. But it has no where near the character of an LS3 powered SS. And the little time I've spent with a Gen6, you will likely find that same comparison to hold true.

I miss my Audi at times. But my right foot can generally fix that pretty quick.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
c4racer

If I had to choose between selling my M5 and the SS vert the Camaro would lose.
If I had to just have one car it would be the M5 hands down. But that said I would never pick an S4 or even M3 over the Camaro SS as a sports coupe. I would have before I owned the SS. But the 6th gen is a great car - perfectly blends a vette with an M3.

The one area the S5 wins is the seats. Those recaros in Napa are worlds better than the Chevy seats. But just about everything else in the interior is pretty comparable - especially the steering wheel and shifter - the things you touch.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
I have had numerous Audi's including a couple of S4's, they drive beautifully but I have had major mechanicals, bad trans (2), broken timing chain guide that required engine pull. I wont be buying anymore audis. I know these things happen, but they are unbelievably expensive. In fact, I was able to repair a trans on a 911 (bought it that way) cheaper than I could on the S4. Unless you are in love with it, keep looking.
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #10
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
If I had to choose between selling my M5 and the SS vert the Camaro would lose.
If I had to just have one car it would be the M5 hands down. But that said I would never pick an S4 or even M3 over the Camaro SS as a sports coupe. I would have before I owned the SS. But the 6th gen is a great car - perfectly blends a vette with an M3.

The one area the S5 wins is the seats. Those recaros in Napa are worlds better than the Chevy seats. But just about everything else in the interior is pretty comparable - especially the steering wheel and shifter - the things you touch.
Yup
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
Texas 6Gen

Drives: Future 6th Gen Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1 View Post
I have had numerous Audi's including a couple of S4's, they drive beautifully but I have had major mechanicals, bad trans (2), broken timing chain guide that required engine pull. I wont be buying anymore audis. I know these things happen, but they are unbelievably expensive. In fact, I was able to repair a trans on a 911 (bought it that way) cheaper than I could on the S4. Unless you are in love with it, keep looking.
Thanks for the feedback. Reliability definitely will play a major role on my decision.
Texas 6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #12
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
If yiu are shopping for a s5 price wise, I would cut the SS out the picture and look at the zl1
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
DocZenith

Drives: Mazdaspeed6
Could anyone tell me something about the difference in road noise and engine noise in the Camaro SS compared to the Audi S5?
DocZenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
c4racer

I have a vert. It's louder than my B6 S4. But not by much. I would guess the hardtop version is going to be close to an S5. Very well isolated car - far better than any GM car I've owned even a CTSV.