Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Gearslammer

Drives: Z28
Camaros vs. Challengers

I have driven many 2016 SS's, 2015 ZL1 and 2015 Z28 and I have recently driven a 2016 Scat Pack 392. All had six speeds. The nice part about the Camaros are the balance of power and handling seem to be more to my liking. Both the Hellcat and Scat Pack 392 seem to have the same extremely heavy clutch that make them seriously deficient as a daily driver. All the Camaro clutches were easy to operate and I have a strong leg. The Challengers are heavy cars with more interior room than the 2016 Camaros. The seats in the Challengers are similar to the 2015 Camaros which are both more comfortable than 2016 Camaro SS standard seats. The Recaros in the 2015 ZL1 and 2015 Z28 were very comfortable on a local ride but not sure about long, 500 mile, trips. Yesterday, we saw a 2016 Challenger following a 2016 Camaro SS in traffic and the side styling was clearly better on the Camaro. The Challenger looked dated. Clearly the mileage ratings are better in the Camaros. I like the Camaros better overall.
Gearslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
One of our customers has a 2015 Challenger. He dropped it off on Friday for some (more) work, and when I hopped in to move it, my first thought was "This thing feels like a tank after driving my Camaro". It's still a nice car, but omg, compared to the Camaro, it's just huge.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearslammer View Post
Both the Hellcat and Scat Pack 392 seem to have the same extremely heavy clutch that make them seriously deficient as a daily driver. All the Camaro clutches were easy to operate and I have a strong leg.
I've rented a six speed scat pack a couple of times and thought the clutch was very easy and light; however, I've never driven a six speed gen6 Camaro so I can't compare it to that.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #4
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I've also driven a Scat Pack and thought clutch was light.. Unless my memory is wrong..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I never found the clutch to be heavy in the 2 M6 Challenger's I drove (one with the 5.7 the other with the 392).

While the styling is old-er, I'd say the refresh they did somehow managed to make the car *look* slimmer than it actually is, and it's been rewarded with (slowly) increasing sales..they reliably sell over 5,000 a month now, and have outsold the Camaro at least 3 times this year.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #6
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
I drove an auto 2016 Camaro 2SS and a 2015 Auto Scat Pack Challenger back to back one time. My impressions were that the SS was a nicer car. The SS felt much more nimble and felt a little quicker than the dodge. I liked the dodge's transmission better though as it seemed to shift more quickly. The funny thing is that I thought the Chevy was a little easier to see out of than the dodge. I felt very comfortable driving the Camaro. Basically, I liked the Dodge's transmission better and preferred the Camaro in most every other aspect.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #7
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
Interesting that there seem to be more Challenger comparisons than Mustang comparisons. The Scat and SRT Challengers are awesome. I drove the Scat and loved it, but preferred the Camaro for the total driving feel. I also prefer the Camaro's looks.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I think a lot of people compare the Challenger and Camaro now because of the similar power levels (485/455) and the 8 speed transmissions.

I don't think anyone really thinks the Challenger is in the same league with the Camaro in terms of handling performance.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I think a lot of people compare the Challenger and Camaro now because of the similar power levels (485/455) and the 8 speed transmissions.

I don't think anyone really thinks the Challenger is in the same league with the Camaro in terms of handling performance.
Handling no, acceleration without a question yes
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Challengers handle just fine. I love how people say that they don't handle at all. I wouod hate to see these same people in any 60's or early 70's muscle cars if they think any modern performance car handles bad.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #11
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Challengers handle just fine. I love how people say that they don't handle at all. I wouod hate to see these same people in any 60's or early 70's muscle cars if they think any modern performance car handles bad.
I don't think you can deny the "boat-y-ness" of a Challenger at least compared against the 6th Gen, though. One of the things that really attracted me to the 6th Gen was its diet...and the MRC.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #12
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
I don't think you can deny the "boat-y-ness" of a Challenger at least compared against the 6th Gen, though. One of the things that really attracted me to the 6th Gen was its diet...and the MRC.
They are a very nice comfortable car to drive on the street. Most people don't push any of these cars to the point the minor differences in performance to even matter. I like power and performance as much as the next guy, but for a driver, I look at the over all package. That is the main reason I gave up my GT500 for a ZL1. It's over all a more comfortable car to live with everday.

It's really about what you want out of a car as to which one to purchase. They are all pretty good these days.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
Jimtasteek

Drives: S197 Mustang
Just curious - how does the Challenger interior compare to the 6th gen Camaro (which I very much like). Materials, quality, flashiness/sense of occasion and all that. I've only had chance to drive a 2013 Challenger here in the UK and I hear the new ones are a step up.
Jimtasteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimtasteek View Post
Just curious - how does the Challenger interior compare to the 6th gen Camaro (which I very much like). Materials, quality, flashiness/sense of occasion and all that. I've only had chance to drive a 2013 Challenger here in the UK and I hear the new ones are a step up.
IMO here's a quick analogy:

Camaro = jet fighter cockpit, all the stuff you really touch is soft but some hard plastics still there but they don't look cheap like before

Challenger = more like a Bently GT (minus the ridiculous lavishness), soft touch material everywhere, plush seats, retro, sense of isolation from the environment (both good and bad).

Both cars definitely have the high tech feel, quality and design. But the Challenger is more like a Gran Tourer in terms of the interior, while the Camaro is more sports/driver oriented.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote