Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
daltron

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS
Smile Tomorrow is the big day. What are some do's and dont's?

I get to pick up my 2SS vert tomorrow after a year and a half of looking and was just wondering as somebody who has never driven a V8 before, if there are things I should be cautious about? It might be worth mentioning that I am by nature a very careful driver (some would probably say too careful for a car like this) but didn't know if there were some things to watch out for? I use to drive a V6 camaro as a DD almost 10 years ago so I understand snow/ice is a big no no but is the V8 a whole different animal?

Also, what are the best do's?!
daltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltron View Post
I get to pick up my 2SS vert tomorrow after a year and a half of looking and was just wondering as somebody who has never driven a V8 before, if there are things I should be cautious about? It might be worth mentioning that I am by nature a very careful driver (some would probably say too careful for a car like this) but didn't know if there were some things to watch out for? I use to drive a V6 camaro as a DD almost 10 years ago so I understand snow/ice is a big no no but is the V8 a whole different animal?

Well... It looks like you are in Illinois, an SS comes with "Summer Only Tires", when they are cold they are like hockey pucks (hard and not much grip), so be careful and allow for additional stopping distance and easy on the throttle... If it is wet or snowy out, delay delivery until the roads are dry...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Just be gentle with the skinny pedal and you'll be fine, especially since you said you'd swap the tires to all-seasons immediately after delivery. Brand new tires are extra slippery for the first 2-3 miles, so don't forget about that, and also you'll probably want to do a proper break-in anyway during the first couple hundred miles. I'm sure you're already aware of obvious general guidance such as waiting for the oil temps to reach 150-160 °F and tire temps to come out of "COLD" or "COOL" into at least "NORMAL" before romping on the pedal and such things.

Don't worry, the V8 isn't some kind of unicorn, you'll feel much more torque much lower than in a V6, but it won't be scary if you don't go crazy with the gas. Keep her in tour or snow/ice mode for this drive, then later when temperatures are "proper", you can go into sport mode and it'll feel like that car has 200 more hp

One thing to note, especially whenever the weather is wet and crappy, the rear may want to break loose earlier then you'd instinctively think, max torque is at 4400 rpm, not at redline.

...last but not least, CONGRATULATIONS and DON'T FORGET TO ENJOY YOUR AMAZING NEW CAMARO

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Congratulations!

If I followed your other thread correctly, this is a brand new car. So I’d suggest not using cruise control for any amount of time. Break-in wants a varied RPM. Good choice on the all-season swap out.

Do check all of the fluids.

Do make sure to set your outside mirrors correctly. You should find driving a lot better when you don’t see the side of the car in the mirror.

Enjoy your ride home!

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:23 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Congratulations on your new Camaro and you will be fine!��
Old 01-17-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I agree with @Trochoidal you will want to drive at various RPMs if possible, although maybe not a high RPM unless it's warm enough for the Summer Only tires. Some people will insist that you need to baby it for the first few thousand miles. I'm from the school of "if it's going to break, I'd rather it break during my warranty than outside of my warranty" so I drive it during the break-in period the way I am going to drive it outside of the break-in period. I don't drive it excessively hard, but I try to give it a few WOT applications here and there. As I said, I'd rather it break during the warranty than me baby it excessively and then after the warranty is expired, it breaks.

Oh and the other thing is take as many pictures as you want, as it'll never be "new" again.
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
daltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCSSU View Post
I agree with @Trochoidal you will want to drive at various RPMs if possible, although maybe not a high RPM unless it's warm enough for the Summer Only tires. Some people will insist that you need to baby it for the first few thousand miles. I'm from the school of "if it's going to break, I'd rather it break during my warranty than outside of my warranty" so I drive it during the break-in period the way I am going to drive it outside of the break-in period. I don't drive it excessively hard, but I try to give it a few WOT applications here and there. As I said, I'd rather it break during the warranty than me baby it excessively and then after the warranty is expired, it breaks.

Oh and the other thing is take as many pictures as you want, as it'll never be "new" again.
I don't plan on hot-rodding this thing so going over 4000 RPM won't be a problem for me. However, I am a little worried about driving at various RPM's right away as my maiden voyage back is 275 miles of interstate. What can be done in this situation?
Old 01-18-2022, 07:32 AM   #8
chevybill

Drives: 1994 z-28, 2017 2ss 6spd
Photos would be nice, if possible.

Best wishes on your new Camaro.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I don't plan on hot-rodding this thing so going over 4000 RPM won't be a problem for me. However, I am a little worried about driving at various RPM's right away as my maiden voyage back is 275 miles of interstate. What can be done in this situation?
Vary speed, downshift and upshift.

Hope you'll give it the beans at least after the break-in (many believe in hard break-ins and have evidence, too, but I won't start that discussion here). This ain't a prius, don't drive it as if it were one

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
Quote:
Take the back roads.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #11
daltron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Vary speed, downshift and upshift.

Hope you'll give it the beans at least after the break-in (many believe in hard break-ins and have evidence, too, but I won't start that discussion here). This ain't a prius, don't drive it as if it were one
Sorry if this sounds stupid but it is an automatic. Are you suggesting to drive it in manual and/or use the paddle shifters?
Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #12
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Sorry if this sounds stupid but it is an automatic. Are you suggesting to drive it in manual and/or use the paddle shifters?
Not necessarily but you could play around with manual mode if you want. The important thing is to not drive at a constant speed (like using cruise control for several minutes) but vary your speed for the first few hundred miles.

Enjoy that new ride!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:43 AM   #13
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Definitely want to keep the top up, choose a time of day where you won't run into morning or afternoon traffic congestion. Leave plenty of space between you and others. Use caution when trying to vary rpm during break in, be smart and don't attempt to vary rpm unless the car is pointing straight and going straight. There is a ton of torque at 2000 rpm compared to a v6 so keep that in mind.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #14
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
Quote:

You can vary how much/little you give it gas. Just keep in mind that if it's below 40 degrees, the Summer Only tires may suffer. I'd almost say not to worry about engine speed until you're in a warmer climate. The main concern would be taking it easy with the Summer Only tires, and then worrying about break-in when the weather permits.

I would probably make sure that you're comfortable with the paddle shifters as my first time using them, I forgot which was the upshift and downshift paddle. I wound up revving the hell out of the engine because I grabbed the wrong one.

Oh and most importantly, enjoy!
TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote