Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
KonigWolf

Drives: 2016 2SS A8
Diff Code Decode?

Is there a cheat sheet or way to decode the sticker on the diffs?

I've attached these photos of a few diffs I've come across on eBay, but would like a way to confirm what diff I am looking at ratio wise and if it has a LSD.
Attached Images

DIY Hpt Tune - DR - 1.75-60' - 7.47@95 - 11.56@120 with +2676DA
KonigWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
the middle is a 2.77 lsd. same as the bottom.

the top number is the gm part number. just have to do some google searching/ebay or gm parts sites..

not sure on the top.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
KonigWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
the middle is a 2.77 lsd. same as the bottom.

the top number is the gm part number. just have to do some google searching/ebay or gm parts sites..

not sure on the top.
All three tags are supposed to be from SS cars which means they are supposed to have the LSD. I put the listed ratio by each tag.

Anyone could ask the google machine each line of numbers and Maybefigure it out, but I was looking for a Much quicker way. Kind of like decoding a car's VIN. Fifth number in the third line, if its a 9 its a LSD or if its a 6 its a open kind of deal. At first glance you can't tell much of a pattern between the three diffs. The second and third lines are the same between the three codes, and the first and fourth lines are different. The 2.0T and 3.6 might have another pattern to them.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigWolf View Post
All three tags are supposed to be from SS cars which means they are supposed to have the LSD. I put the listed ratio by each tag.

Anyone could ask the google machine each line of numbers and Maybefigure it out, but I was looking for a Much quicker way. Kind of like decoding a car's VIN. Fifth number in the third line, if its a 9 its a LSD or if its a 6 its a open kind of deal. At first glance you can't tell much of a pattern between the three diffs. The second and third lines are the same between the three codes, and the first and fourth lines are different. The 2.0T and 3.6 might have another pattern to them.
short of calling up, or visiting a local dealer, unless you have the parts catalog, just gotta do the research. that's literally the route I went and prob the quickest. short call to the parts counter. what I had to do when swapping from an open to LSD diff.

2.0 and 3.6 in auto will be a 2.77 open.

if you narrow It down to a v8, then really all you need to possibly find is whether it was an auto or manual.

the 2.0 and 3.6 auto diffs are smaller and lighter and don't have the cooling capabilities.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
KonigWolf

A 3.27 from a 3.6 1LE is what I am after as it has a cooler, but otherwise one of the other 3.27s with LSD from the manual 2.0T or 3.6 would work.