Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Installing a dash camera

So I got a dash cam for Christmas and also the hardwire kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742J69SQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1

So my question is does the hardware kit need to be installed by the dealer to protect my warranty? It is simply running a power cable to the fuse box. However most of the older cars I have had have the fuse box under the steering column and I guess in my 2016 camaro I would have to run the cable through the firewall?

Anyone installed something like this and can give me some solid advice? I get 10% off on labor at my local dealership because they support the camaro club I am in, so I think I may just roll it up there. They would probably be much better at hiding the cabling and they also probably know the car a hell of a lot better then an audio shop.
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
warranty tiny print is written such that anything not intended to be connected to the car electrically, will void whatever they can argue they can void if you connect it.

A dealer may not even do a hardwire install and say in writing that your warranty is unaffected since it conflicts with the OEM's tiny print. However, if you went back to the same dealer, they would likely honor their own warranty of workmanship. I doubt you'd get similar results if you took it to a different dealer to troubleshoot issues with the install of another dealer.

In the end, it's a simple install that you can easily do yourself in 15 min if you're following a walkthru. Warranty shmarranty. Even when the law is on your side, it comes down to how much are you willing to fight someone who is refusing to honor the letter of the law. So either you do nothing to your car so you're not giving them any ammunition or you do what you want competently and choose your battles.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
SilverBlueSS

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Hyper Blue
I bought a similar system from Cobra. It just plugged into the USB port. It activates as soon as the car is started or the accessory power is turned on.

best 1/4 time - 13.14 @ 106.30

2017 2SS Hyper Blue

Best drag times.. 60ft = 1.82 1/8 = 7.82 @ 91.51 1/4 =12.10 @ 115.04
SilverBlueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
zerovisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBlueSS View Post
I bought a similar system from Cobra. It just plugged into the USB port. It activates as soon as the car is started or the accessory power is turned on.
That will totally work, but I really want to take advantage of the parking mode which seems cool on this model.

24 Hours Motion Detection Parking Mode Hardwire Dash Camera

Auto switch to Parking mode when you parked your car. Triggered by the motion detection, the dash cam will auto record once the front camera or inside camera detects motion. The camera needs a constant power supply either from an external battery pack or hardwire(Asin: B07G9WTWB9).

What I think I will do is run it and do my best to hide it and disconnect it if I have to take the car in.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
I think I would rather use a battery pack for what your trying to do. I would be afraid of the dashcam draining the battery.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
mark307

Drives: 2016 Silver Camaro 1SS
Lethal has a good vid.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57ceOYPLJY
mark307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
zerovisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark307 View Post

Thank you so much !!!
Old 12-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
hansolo017

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1-Black
Zerovisual,

What dealership do you go to? Just got into a VA area and was looking for a decent dealership...thanks!
hansolo017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Off topic but I use the same exact dash camera for my Camaro and I absolutely love it! The picture quality is really amazing and audio as well! Parking mode you’ll like for sure. I love seeing what happens when I’m away from my car.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Following.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
I have my V1 hard-wired and dealer hasn't said boo about it. I really don't think they care unless you mangle it or splice it into something you shouldn't have. Cost me $40 to have it done professionally by the same place that did my tint which is about how much it would have cost me to get the trim tools and voltage tester and all that to install it myself the proper way.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
Mine is hardwire because has parking/motion detection. car has sat over a week before and no trouble starting, the drain is minimal if measurable at all. Just run your wires over the head liner to the back, your fuse panel is in the trunk where spar tire normally goes.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #13
zerovisual

Thanks for all this wonderful information! I am closer to the VA beach area and the dealership I usually work with is Hampton Chevrolet. They sponsor the Hampton Roads Camaro club which I recently joined.

I am going to run the install the same way lethal did. My only real concern right now is getting off the side panel and getting the wire through to the engine bay, but from the video it looks simple. Or course everything looks like that until you do it. I bought the revit tool and trim pulling kit just to be safe, but if I feel like I am going to ruin something I am just going to pay for the install. I will try to get some pictures/video.

Thanks again !!
Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 AM   #14
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
Do you have an update? A vid or pics would be nice.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote