Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
16silverSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2ss A8
16 Camaro ss A8 ENGINE FAILURE

Well, add me to the list of complete engine failure. My car has 19800 miles on it never tracked. Mods are SW dual mode axleback, secondary cat delete and the new GMPP intake with Gm tune. Absolutely love the car and ran strong with no signs of what was to come. About 8 days ago I noticed on the highway in cruise control cruising at 70 a slight fluctuation in RPMs around 300 to 500 but no speed increase. Then getting off the highway it seem to quickly go down hill from there. At the first trafffic light while in D it seem to shutter and shift erratically. So I immediately started to think of people who posted on the board here that I could possibly have a defective torque converter. So I parked my car at this point and made an appointment with my dealer ship to have it checked. As I'm pulling into the dealership and pulling up to the service lane my engine starts to make a loud ticking sound. So loud that my service advisor can hear as I'm pulling up. He advised me that it sounds like I might have a possible lifter failing as well. So he writes me up and takes my car right back to service. Gives me a loaner car and tells me he should know what's going wrong with my car in one to two days. So after two days of waiting and wondering I get the call still thinking it's my transmission and maybe a lifter. He advises me it's a engine failure. He said after inspecting and taking my motor apart they found lots of metal fragments that is beyond repair. So they ordered me a brand new motor from GM which should arrive in 3 to 5 days. Another two days to do the install and then he wants to drive it to see if the transmission is going too lol. I'm going to try to get a better explanation of what actually failed in the motor tomorrow and I may hire a lemon law lawyer.
16silverSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Sorry to hear, glad they are taking care of you though. Why the lemon law lawyer? These things happen and that's what warranties are for.. I understand if they can't fix the issue and you have multiple problems but give them a chance to make it right.

I'm very curious to see what failed, hoping they will explain to you in depth as well.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Nearly 20k miles, that's way outside "infant mortality".

Please keep us posted with regards to what failed.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Rickster1001

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Had this issue at 1k miles. Man trade it in. Giving all the guys advice, I went through this 8 months ago. Car was never the same, had some airbags deploy with no body damage a month later. Blamed it on a "tire airbag sensor" LOL.
Rickster1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Sorry to hear man. Really interested in what happened?

Did you have the oil pickup tube completed?
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
16silverSS

Yep it's sucks. I'm assuming it was done prior to me purchasing the vehicle. It only had 3 miles on it when I took delivery and no recalls noted other then transmission cooler line which has been done. Dealership still hasn't updated me with what exactly happened to my motor. I'm am pretty pissed off since after the new motor was installed they are only doing the Gm tsb 3 flush to my trans. Which the head mechanic who installed my motor and test drove it after said no way just flushing the trans is going to fix it. He agreed with me with possibly the torque converter. But the head service manager prick said only flush it and give it back to the customer. It's been at the dealership for 20days as of today.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
reeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16silverSS View Post
Yep it's sucks. I'm assuming it was done prior to me purchasing the vehicle. It only had 3 miles on it when I took delivery and no recalls noted other then transmission cooler line which has been done. Dealership still hasn't updated me with what exactly happened to my motor. I'm am pretty pissed off since after the new motor was installed they are only doing the Gm tsb 3 flush to my trans. Which the head mechanic who installed my motor and test drove it after said no way just flushing the trans is going to fix it. He agreed with me with possibly the torque converter. But the head service manager prick said only flush it and give it back to the customer. It's been at the dealership for 20days as of today.
Thank you for the update.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
16silverSS

Motor failure dealership write up

UPDATE : So I finally picked my car up yesterday. Mechanics did a ok job installing the new motor. Scratches in multiple places which dealer replace by taking off parts from another brand new Camaro ss sitting on the lot lol. So if your missing parts this is probably why 👍 The transmission issues which is why I originally took the car in for was only serviced with the BS 3 flush GM tsb. So I'm sure I'll be back for a torque converter. Car with new motor and trans flush seems to be running very smooth. I have noticed I don't hear the ticking like I did with the original motor from day one. I thought it was normal from reading on here. So be aware if you can hear it pretty good from the inside of your car it's probably not the direct injection like most say. Take it in quick
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
StakEmUp33

Drives: Equinox
What was the reason for putting in the rear body fuse block?
StakEmUp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
reeper

Congrats on getting it repaired. I'd hate to see $ signs on the right side....
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Old 08-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
UPDATE : So I finally picked my car up yesterday. Mechanics did a ok job installing the new motor. Scratches in multiple places which dealer replace by taking off parts from another brand new Camaro ss sitting on the lot lol. So if your missing parts this is probably why �� The transmission issues which is why I originally took the car in for was only serviced with the BS 3 flush GM tsb. So I'm sure I'll be back for a torque converter. Car with new motor and trans flush seems to be running very smooth. I have noticed I don't hear the ticking like I did with the original motor from day one. I thought it was normal from reading on here. So be aware if you can hear it pretty good from the inside of your car it's probably not the direct injection like most say. Take it in quick
I wouldn't be too upset with the dealer for only doing the flush on the trans. They are just doing what GM approved to pay them for. Hopefully you won't have to back for the converter, but if you do, just keep in mind this is all part of the escalation process. The really sad part is now you have to do the engine break in all over again.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
If you babied the original motor while breaking it in, then run this one hard
Old 08-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
AFM lifter gets another one.? ..Saw a 5.3 Sierra at my friends shop today. 108,000 miles. Valve covers off. One cylinder the pushrod not moving. AFM lifters. Looking at 2,400-3500 $s depending on which way you go.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #14
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
UPDATE : So I finally picked my car up yesterday. Mechanics did a ok job installing the new motor. Scratches in multiple places which dealer replace by taking off parts from another brand new Camaro ss sitting on the lot lol. So if your missing parts this is probably why �� The transmission issues which is why I originally took the car in for was only serviced with the BS 3 flush GM tsb. So I'm sure I'll be back for a torque converter. Car with new motor and trans flush seems to be running very smooth. I have noticed I don't hear the ticking like I did with the original motor from day one. I thought it was normal from reading on here. So be aware if you can hear it pretty good from the inside of your car it's probably not the direct injection like most say. Take it in quick
Depending on the type of tick, the head gaskets on your old motor may have been on backwards. There is a bulletin about this. One of the symptoms is a "tick" noise.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote