Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-28-2023, 12:50 PM   #15
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Pretty sure 40 or 45lbs weight difference has no noticeable effect in handling.
The weight difference is 145 lbs (2SS1LE=3762 vs ZL1=3907), not 40-45.

Believe it or not, it makes a quite noticeable difference in the corners when driving on the track (maximum cornering G and speed) when you have an instructor in the seat next to vs driving solo. My friend (also an instructor) told me this early on and I had a hard time believing him (it's a 5% weight difference), until I drove the car by myself near the end of a track day after my instructor soloed me and vacated the passenger seat.

Now, on back roads you won't notice the difference because you don't reach the cornering limits of the car.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:59 PM   #16
ALMN

Drives: 2SS 1LE M6, Palisade Calligraphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper the friendly G View Post
Pretty sure 40 or 45lbs weight difference has no noticeable effect in handling.
It is more like 160 lbs weight difference. ZL1 manual is around 3900 lbs and ss 1le manual is around 3740 lbs. As for comparison, the 5th gen ss was around current zl1 weight and the 5th gen zl1 was around 4100 lbs.
ALMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 12:59 PM   #17
iupui1299

Drives: 2022 Camaro SS Convertible Indy 500
I started out wanting a 2SS 1LE. Eventually kept going back and forth about just going with a ZL1. Went and test drove a ZL1 and it’s a great car but so is the SS. For me the ZL1 just didn’t fit. Did I want it? Yes! However, I was rarely going to get to use the extra power, it got worse gas mileage, cost quite a bit more and just didn’t fit my current lifestyle. It just didn’t make sense. I ended up going with a 2SS convertible and it’s a perfect fit for my lifestyle. If I was you based on your original post……I would find yourself a nice low mileage used 1SS 1LE. It’s going to cost you quite a bit less and have the same performance as a new SS 1LE. It will look exactly the same and give you just as big a grin. Later on down the line if a ZL1 is still something you’re interested in then explore that route and pick up a nice low mileage used ZL1. Just my two cents.
iupui1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #18
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
my ss 1LE weighed 3720. all it took was basic bolt ons to match & exceed the straight line performance of a stock ZL1.

also i do not understand the "too much power" statements. the cars have a feature operated by your foot that allows regulation of the power..?
Old 01-28-2023, 02:09 PM   #19
Dardecor

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I just want to say thank you all for the input. I woke up and literally read every single comment here. Honestly, I make enough to buy a house, but I feel like I should wait another year or two for the market to fix itself a bit more. Unfortunately, I don't think I can have this patience with the Camaro since I'm 80% sure it'll be killed off soon. This may or may not raise used Camaro prices.

My savings is good. 401k investments are good. There's a lot of equity in my current v6. Honestly, I just regret not getting a v8 the first time around but the opportunity for the v6 was too good to pass up. I may see if I can do a few test drives for the SS. I will keep watching the car market
Dardecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:11 PM   #20
grgus73

Drives: 2024 Silverado 2500, 2018 Trax
I would go for the SS…
Would pass on the ZL1 for the gas guzzler tax, drawing more attention, fuel economy and higher insurance, limited or no warranty.

I am not sure of cost of ownership/maintenance either, as the ZL1 may cost more.

Had a Porsche and the maintenance costs were more than I had bargained for. $1000-$900 oil changes.
Knew some one with a Jaguar F Type sports car and sold due to the high cost of ownership as well

To me the ZL1 looks amazing and would enjoy every second of owning it, just more than I would like to spend at this time.
grgus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
my ss 1LE weighed 3720. all it took was basic bolt ons to match & exceed the straight line performance of a stock ZL1.

also i do not understand the "too much power" statements. the cars have a feature operated by your foot that allows regulation of the power..?
At least from my perspective, I don’t want to have to “feather” the throttle. In the Z, I was always conscious of / concerned with going sideways / spinning or crushing the speed limit. It just wasn’t any fun tempering my foot. Sure a highway pull is cool, but how often and long does that last? Also, I like to hear the full throttle rpm’s quickly climb to redline / feel of snapping off to the next gear. For most of us in the burbs.. doing that responsibly, in Z, is pretty limited. Everyone has their own view on this, but that’s mine.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:07 PM   #22
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I see the value of this thread, and the forum members individual posts as being able to guide the OP what he might want to consider.

We are all unique (humans) and potentially different from one another in how we would answer the question "how much power do you need," which is fine. It doesn't matter that the majority of us are currently saying 450hp is enough for the street, while others can never have enough. Instead, the OP should look inward and ask himself what kind of person he is, whether the extra power of the ZL1 will be something he can actually take advantage of in how/where he plans to drive the car, and which of the other pros and cons that have been raised are important to him to consider.

It's all good!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 03:42 PM   #23
ckt227

Drives: CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Been down that rabbit hole. Ordered a 21 2SS 1LE. Knew I should have ordered the ZL1. So I did and 7 weeks later it arrived.

Do what's best for you, get what you like and feel comfortable paying for.
ckt227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:05 PM   #24
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
I owned a 2021 ZL1, too much power to enjoy on the street. It really is over the limit as crazy as that sounds. I actually got bored restraining it around town, traded it for a CT4V Blackwing, which is a lot more fun to drive, not to mention much more usable and easier to see out of. Save your money and stick with the SS 1LE.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:16 PM   #25
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Weird, I have way more fun in my ZL1 than I did my LT1. I’ve never been to a track or drag strip, or been street racing. I must be an oddball

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:18 PM   #26
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
At least from my perspective, I don’t want to have to “feather” the throttle. In the Z, I was always conscious of / concerned with going sideways / spinning or crushing the speed limit. It just wasn’t any fun tempering my foot. Sure a highway pull is cool, but how often and long does that last? Also, I like to hear the full throttle rpm’s quickly climb to redline / feel of snapping off to the next gear. For most of us in the burbs.. doing that responsibly, in Z, is pretty limited. Everyone has their own view on this, but that’s mine.
I felt between my LT1 and my ZL1 the traction control on the ZL1 was far more impressive. I got my LT1 to step out way more sideways than I ever have my ZL1 and that was with 305s on my LT1

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #27
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I brought a 2SS 1LE because I wanted all the luxuries of the ZL1 and eventually made it faster than a ZL1. So you can get the 2SS and drive it to see if it fits your needs and if you want the power just add it.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:09 AM   #28
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
I felt between my LT1 and my ZL1 the traction control on the ZL1 was far more impressive. I got my LT1 to step out way more sideways than I ever have my ZL1 and that was with 305s on my LT1
Hmm, far more impressive? On the street? I must not be that perceptive, or maybe because my Z didn’t have ELSD…Is it the ELSD that’s helping? If so, the SS 1LE has ELSD. My LT1 has 305’s and kicks out, but it’s much easier to know when it’s going to happen, as opposed to the vert ZL1. I’m not a fan of relying on traction control to save my ass. It works until it doesn’t, physics has a way of doing that.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote