Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-29-2023, 04:58 AM   #29
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
ZL1 all the way. My SS is procharged with 603 ponies to the rear wheels had a Mustang GT with 460’ish engine HP (similar to 1LE ) and enjoy the added horse power weekly. I do however feel unless you track it you will not get the benefit of the 1LE suspension.

And worrying about it being railed on. Most people who spend that money are gonna take care of there cars and baby them.

Lastly worried about “wrong attention”. Most see a Camaro as a Camaro and as you have noted most don’t know the difference from an RS to a ZL1. Most but a 1LE for looks. Unless your tracking you will way more enjoy the power and prestige of the ZL1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:31 AM   #30
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Hmm, far more impressive? On the street? I must not be that perceptive, or maybe because my Z didn’t have ELSD…Is it the ELSD that’s helping? If so, the SS 1LE has ELSD. My LT1 has 305’s and kicks out, but it’s much easier to know when it’s going to happen, as opposed to the vert ZL1. I’m not a fan of relying on traction control to save my ass. It works until it doesn’t, physics has a way of doing that.
Yes… on the street. Probably is the eLSD. Or maybe the fact that the Goodyears are terrible street tires in anything other than dry California weather, I scrapped mine immediately upon purchase. I definitely would never consider not buying a vehicle because I was scared of what happened when I stepped on the go pedal

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:55 AM   #31
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
If I were buying another GM car (I’m not) it would be a ZL1 1LE. Personal preference and I have a high tolerance for a ‘firm’ ride.

If I were in your shoes, as I understand them from your post, I would buy as much car as I could pay off in one year. I don’t like debt and will not take out multi year auto loans.

I would not under any circumstances buy a used high performance vehicle. New only.

My two cents and probably worth what you paid for it.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:06 PM   #32
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Jeez, this accumulation of wisdom has forced me to put my 2 cents in. You sound like a young, but very wise for your age, man. Young guys often buy cars thinking they're gonna keep them forever- but they never do. However you do sound atypical (the wise for your age thing) but if the next shiny thing comes along and you think you gotta have it and trade in your "old" car don't get a ZL1.

Yes, test drive the SS. You'll love it and its all the vehicle any of us needs for the street and more. Test a ZL1 to compare. A used one will be fine. Chevy has engineered the begeezus outta these cars and they will last. Of course, if you can find one previously owned by the proverbial little old man who just drove it to church, so much the better.

Bottom line, IMHO the ZL1 is the absolute best automotive investment currently on the market, and if you hold on to it for a while you will make money (probably the only vehicle you'll ever own that will do that). I mean you saw the '81 Z28 for $98K. That car is less than nothing compared to the ZL1 and I owned a '81 Firebird (the James Rockford car- whatta PIG, but I was young and dumb).

If I could afford a ZL1, it would be in my garage.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #33
PKG4U

I’m 27. I wasn’t going to pass on this opportunity in life. Last I’m going to add on this topic. It wasn’t the absolute pinnacle of financial investments. I simply don’t care. I pay more for this car then I do my house and I love every minute of it. My houses value has also more than doubled since I purchased it 5 years ago for what that’s worth. Happy purchasing and either way you will be pleased with the value for your $

Old 01-29-2023, 03:31 PM   #34
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorforschool@gmail.com View Post
Yes… on the street. Probably is the eLSD. Or maybe the fact that the Goodyears are terrible street tires in anything other than dry California weather, I scrapped mine immediately upon purchase. I definitely would never consider not buying a vehicle because I was scared of what happened when I stepped on the go pedal
What? My decision has nothing to do with being scared. It’s more about practicality and what’s fun for me, which is having the ability to ring a car out. Doing that in a Z is extraordinarily limited based on where I live / typically drive. I couldn’t utilize the power and it wasn’t fun, other than having bragging rights. And really, that wears out fast. But, everyone’s different…some people like to talk about how superior their car is (makes them feel better about themselves and their purchase).

I also prefer the base cloth seats, no side skirts and a leather steering wheel. The Good years are awesome tires for someone that uses them in as I do, dry warm weather. I use the crappy LT1 run flats for the cool weather…..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:37 PM   #35
PKG4U

Quote:
What? My decision has nothing to do with being scared. It’s more about practicality and what’s fun for me, which is having the ability to ring a car out. Doing that in a Z is extraordinarily limited based on where I live / typically drive. I couldn’t utilize the power and it wasn’t fun, other than having bragging rights. And really, that wears out fast. But, everyone’s different…some people like to talk about how superior their car is (makes them feel better about themselves and their purchase).

I also prefer the base cloth seats, no side skirts and a leather steering wheel. The Good years are awesome tires for someone that uses them in as I do, dry warm weather. I use the crappy LT1 run flats for the cool weather…..
It’s funny the way you like to use your words and pretend you aren’t taking jabs. Happy motoring brother!

Old 01-29-2023, 04:01 PM   #36
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:

I was able to ring my MX5 out regularly. It's a bit more difficult to do that with my 1LE, but I much prefer the 1LE, in fact it's not even close.

I'm not accusing you of doing this, but it's been my experience that the people on this forum most likely to talk about how superior their car is are those who purchased an LT1 and are eager to explain how much better it is than an SS. I can't recall seeing someone with a ZL1 putting down someone else's Camaro.

Maybe it's happened and I missed it.

Either way the OP will be getting a very nice car, one worth keeping.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:18 PM   #37
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
It’s funny the way you like to use your words and pretend you aren’t taking jabs. Happy motoring brother!
Same to you brother
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:57 PM   #38
grgus73

Drives: 2024 Silverado 2500, 2018 Trax
Quote:
Weird, I have way more fun in my ZL1 than I did my LT1. I’ve never been to a track or drag strip, or been street racing. I must be an oddball
I cannot speak to ever driving a ZL1, but guessing it is a complete blast.

I got the brief opportunity to drive a McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, M4 coupe, and 2 911s. My brother-in-law owns a 911.
Got to say the Ferrari was my favorite, and the Lamborghini was my least.

Loved my older ATS-V, but the naturally aspirated V8s just sounds cool.
grgus73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 05:44 PM   #39
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
650 HP sounds way better.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:40 PM   #40
MPowered

Drives: cam of course
When I was shopping for a ZLE and it looked like I was never going to get one, I did entertain getting a different Camaro. I looked into the SS 1Le and not the regular ZL1 because I like the handling prowess of the 1Le package. Sure, 650hp is nice but I prefer better handling and luckily my ZLE has both. I understand people wanting to ring out a car with less power and it's fun, but there's something to be said about having so much easy power on tap. Same goes to having so much handling that you're not sweating it in curves.

OP, get the 2SS 1Le as it's a better overall car, and if you ever need more power, 200 horses is not difficult to add.
MPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:27 PM   #41
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
[QUOTE=MPowered;11277552]When I was shopping for a ZLE and it looked like I was never going to get one, I did entertain getting a different Camaro. I looked into the SS 1Le and not the regular ZL1 because I like the handling prowess of the 1Le package. Sure, 650hp is nice but I prefer better handling and luckily my ZLE has both. I understand people wanting to ring out a car with less power and it's fun, but there's something to be said about having so much easy power on tap. Same goes to having so much handling that you're not sweating it in curves.

I've been wondering what is about a 650hp LT4 that makes some people think it's essential to have for road use. For those that have this view (LT1 level HP/torque is not enough) and wouldn't mind trying to explain it:

1) Do you actually go WOT for more than a few seconds at a time such that you're into triple digit speeds? If so, what kind of road (highway pull? empty backroad?, etc?)

2) Is it maybe more about the torque that you crave (being pushed back into the seat) as you hit the accelerator, rather than running the engine out to a high RPM and rowing through the gears?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:37 AM   #42
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
For me it was wanting to own a supercharged Camaro done by the factory engineers. Sure I could have spent $12,000 to mod and supercharge my 2016 2SS back in 2019 but I found the used low mileage 2 year old ZL1 priced right and actually I would have had more money invested in my SS after it was all said and done so it made more sense for me to get the ZL1.