Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #1
razorwired

Drives: None
Help an Old Man Buy a Car

Let's see how this goes.

First off, I'm 59 years old and heading towards retirement.

My script always said, when you have time to enjoy it (retirement) - you'll buy a Corvette and that's it.

Well - times change. Although I appreciate the new Corvette, it's definitely outgrown my tastes. It seems to me that the Corvette is now more of a European Super Car than an American sports car. I want an authentic American sports car.

An Authentic American Sports car is now (in my mind - sorry Dodge) the Camaro or the Mustang.

I'm not going to ask anybody on this forum what they think about the Mustang - I can get that from a Mustang Forum.

What I'm looking for is some dialog on two different versions of Camaro's that I have configured.

Before - anyone says - "it's your car - just buy what you want" - I appreciate it - but that's not dialog. I'm looking for folks who share interests and want to swap ideas.

I'm an admitted car idiot - I've driven trucks and SUV's all my life. However, I do like fast motorcycles - I currently own a BMW K1600 and a FJR1300. I didn't know anything about motorcycles before I jumped into a FJR forum years ago. I learn fast.

Generally, here's my two builds - totally different for sure:

Build 1: $61K
White Convertible 2SS - Every Option

Build 2: $73K
Shadow Grey Metallic ZL1 - Every Option

Will I ever track the car - hell no.

Will I drive the car in a very spirited manner - hell yes. Just like the motorcycles - when it's just me at risk and I learn the cars limits.

Let me know what you think.
razorwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
OPTION 2: ZL1 no questions asked. I am not a fan of the soft top convertible and their unique set of issues versus a traditional coupe.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
22SS1LE

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE 6M
Build 2.
I am not a fan of convertible on anything.
8/24. IT HAS ARRIVED at the dealer
8/25- It is in the Garage
ACS ZL1 Sideskirts, 20% tint, CAI Intake
22SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #4

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Build 2, but make it a convertible. Once Camaro ends, hi hp, hi-option models will be the most sought after. Good luck.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #5
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1ornothing View Post
OPTION 2: ZL1 no questions asked. I am not a fan of the soft top convertible and their unique set of issues versus a traditional coupe.
I'm retiring to the Ozarks from Dallas/Ft Worth. Wife and sister are big convertible fans - I've never owned one. I do like the "idea" of one though. If you could elaborate on the issues with convertibles (not tracking the car) that would be great!
Old 10-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #6
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SS1LE View Post
Build 2.
I am not a fan of convertible on anything.
Is that from a performance perspective? I'm not going to track the car - just drive the hell out of it (hopefully)- once I learn it.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:52 PM   #7
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Build 2, but make it a convertible. Once Camaro ends, hi hp, hi-option models will be the most sought after. Good luck.
Appreciate that input! Didn't expect to have to make this decision now but I can read the writing on the wall.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
razorwired

What about a sunroof in a ZL1?
Old 10-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
PJS57

Drives: 2023 Cadillac CT4
The SS is plenty fast for the street and I like the semi-decent fuel mileage. The ZL1 is enough to get my license revoked quickly - I see no need for it on the street. On a track I bet it's a hoot though.

My 71 year old father enjoys the hell out of his ZL1, and being a motorcycle guy you know the deal with owning something like that. I'd suggest build 2 - SGM is a super nice color.
PJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #10
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS57 View Post
The SS is plenty fast for the street and I like the semi-decent fuel mileage. The ZL1 is enough to get my license revoked quickly - I see no need for it on the street. On a track I bet it's a hoot though.

My 71 year old father enjoys the hell out of his ZL1, and being a motorcycle guy you know the deal with owning something like that. I'd suggest build 2 - SGM is a super nice color.
SGM on the ZL1 looks fantastic!

On the convertible the white looks better too me - I'd pair it with the adrenaline red interior - just a softer car.

I'm not a fan of Alcantara "leather" which would predominate the ZL1 build. The convertible would be "real" leather.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:09 PM   #11
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwired View Post
I'm retiring to the Ozarks from Dallas/Ft Worth. Wife and sister are big convertible fans - I've never owned one. I do like the "idea" of one though. If you could elaborate on the issues with convertibles (not tracking the car) that would be great!
I don't own a convertible soft top because they simply don't last trouble free. The components wear prematurely and their weatherproof worthiness deteriorates rapidly vs a coupe. Increased wind noise at speed always annoying. No thank you, if you want a high end convertible experience, buy a hardtop convertible that is highly rated.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:13 PM   #12
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS57 View Post

Totally agree that the SS is more than enough for the street.

However - There's a bit more to this though. The "end of an era" is factoring in. Owning one of the "last super charged cars in the world" resonates to me. Not for the bragging rights - but just because something is ending - for good.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #13
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Will it be your daily driver? Or just a fun car?
Are you hoping to be able to resell it/trade it at a high value, or drive it for many years? If I was looking for a weekend car I could trade in in a few years, I'd go with the ZL1. I'm not a convertible guy, but understand the allure. My wife had convertibles, and they come with their own set of drawbacks, but a top down cruise can be nice.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:18 PM   #14
razorwired

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1ornothing View Post
I don't own a convertible soft top because they simply don't last trouble free. The components wear prematurely and their weatherproof worthiness deteriorates rapidly vs a coupe. Increased wind noise at speed always annoying. No thank you, if you want a high end convertible experience, buy a hardtop convertible that is highly rated.
Agreed - a hardtop convertible is the way to go - but then my supplier went all Ferrari on me I do not like garage queens - I drive all my vehicles - alot - I'm lucky enough to have garage space 100% of the time when parked.