Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
My Modification Plan, thoughts/ideas

Decided to keep it as simple as possible. Tired of track tire swapping, track only car etc, etc. ZL1 A10

Brey Kraus harness bar, Schroth Hans compatible 4 pt belts, SS brake lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Pagid yellow pads (RS29), DSC Sport control unit for MRCs, aligned with as much negative camber as I can get in OEM configuration, run stock tires until used up then run R888Rs on stock wheels these will always stay on. Move traqmate from M3 to ZL1.

If I think I need more negative camber after a few track days I'll add the Moreno camber plates.

Thoughts?
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
You're already over-complicating it.

*Track alignment per the Performance Supplement, but with maxed out front camber.
*Castro SRF, yes.
*At least try the factory pads for the first day, especially on the Supercar 3's. That said I'm done shopping for pads after running Raybestos ST-43's the 2nd half of last season. They're a great match, but you'll still need a street compound.

Have you tracked the car with the stock seats and ratcheting the 3-points? I can't recommend 4-point belts because of the added submarining risk, but it's your decision.

I'd also like to know why you think you need the DSC controller. If you have money burning a hole and need to buy it, please bring the stock MRC computer with you to the track.

As for "where are all the Camaro track guys", spend some time in the 1LE sub-forum, there's a lot of good wisdom that's been dropped over the past year we've had the cars on-track.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Badgerbimmer

Not sure how familiar you are with Scroth products. The 4 pt ASM is designed to work as a typical 3 pt (i.e. without rollover protection or track shells). They are also NHTSA approved. They do a significantly better job holding you in than any form of the oem 3 poin, regardless of what you do to look it down. How do I know? I ran this in my track car until the roll protection, Cobra race shells and Schroth 6pts went in. I also won't go on a track without my Hans device, which of course you can't us with the factory 3pt.

I have used Pagid Yellows for years, first the RS19 the the RS29 replacement. After going through many, many different pads these are the best I have ever used. Good bite, easy to modulate, last forever and don't chew up the rotors. Not to mention the rear calipers on the ZL1 are the Brembo Lotus which I run on my M3 track car and I have a new set of pads for the rear sitting in my garage. They are expensive though!

Why do you think the DSC controller is not advisable? Every post I have seen here and in the Porsche and Corvette forums think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Plus its only $1,300. Which I figure is $8,500 less than putting the DSSV suspension in.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
sounds like a plan to me but i wouldnt mess with the harness bar or harnesses yet and stock pads will be fine for the first track day for sure
Old 01-30-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
OP; sent you a PM
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
+1 for not using a four point, even if it is from Schroth. If you're going to do it, do it "right" and use a proper 5/6/7 point harness and at least a four point cage.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
sounds like a plan to me but i wouldnt mess with the harness bar or harnesses yet and stock pads will be fine for the first track day for sure
Not exactly my first track day.......
Old 02-01-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Since it ain't your first rodeo, go for it. Sounds like you know what you are doing. I would say wait on the camber plates but I already know I'm going to need around -3 degrees on my non-1LE stripper for time attack. I just gotta save a little dough. MAN these wheels and tires for these mamma jammas are spendy!
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with Scroth products. The 4 pt ASM is designed to work as a typical 3 pt (i.e. without rollover protection or track shells). They are also NHTSA approved. They do a significantly better job holding you in than any form of the oem 3 poin, regardless of what you do to look it down. How do I know? I ran this in my track car until the roll protection, Cobra race shells and Schroth 6pts went in. I also won't go on a track without my Hans device, which of course you can't us with the factory 3pt.

I have used Pagid Yellows for years, first the RS19 the the RS29 replacement. After going through many, many different pads these are the best I have ever used. Good bite, easy to modulate, last forever and don't chew up the rotors. Not to mention the rear calipers on the ZL1 are the Brembo Lotus which I run on my M3 track car and I have a new set of pads for the rear sitting in my garage. They are expensive though!

Why do you think the DSC controller is not advisable? Every post I have seen here and in the Porsche and Corvette forums think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Plus its only $1,300. Which I figure is $8,500 less than putting the DSSV suspension in.
Sounds like a great plan.....and due to your significant track experience you have a good handle on what you want and what makes sense, and how to get there.

Looking forward to seeing you at the track sometime in 2018!

Only one question.....I agree on not getting on the track without a HANS device. I've had a couple of buddies hit the walls at RoadAmerica and both have commented on their HANS device making a difference. However, I thought that the ASM belts and the HANS devices were not compatible as the ASM belts are meant to stretch to prevent submarining.....and I thought that as a result they would not hold the HANS device snug enough to be effective.

You might look into that.....one of the reasons I'm going 1/2 cage and full 5 points in my car. I had wanted to use the ASM belts.....but thought that would mean no HANS. Hope I'm wrong on that....but it is what I remembered.

Have fun getting it prepped!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
Badgerbimmer

Schroth is now making HANS compatible ASM belts. The Schroth Quick Fit Pro, direct fit to buckle system and the Profi II ASM, use with harness bar, both are HANS compatible. The Schroth website has videos of crash dummy tests with HANS. Schroth does not list a Camaro compatible Quick Fit Pro although it is my understanding that there is a version that works with the GM buckle system.

There is no doubt that a half cage, race shells and a 6 pt harness are better. However given my intention with this car that alternative is not practical.

I have reconsidered the DSC controller and I am going to defer on that addition.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
That's awesome that they are HANS compatible.

You're all set....now we just need Spring to get here!

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #12
Lugnutty

Drives: 2022 2SS
Where are you getting the Pagid brake pads? I was looking all summer for them and couldn't find any. I have run Pagid Blacks for years with all the Porsche and BMW stuff and I would love a set of these for the Camaro for this year!
Lugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Miami_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
yo just google it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutty View Post
Where are you getting the Pagid brake pads? I was looking all summer for them and couldn't find any. I have run Pagid Blacks for years with all the Porsche and BMW stuff and I would love a set of these for the Camaro for this year!
Miami_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
Badgerbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutty View Post
I have always gotten them from Rennsport or Northstar Motorsports