Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-13-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
ThatGermanGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Coupé
P0300 - but only after cold starts

Hey guys, hope y´all doing well!

So i have a 2016 2SS 6MT Camaro and i truly love it.
However, i have encountered a few issues in the last month.

I live in germany with harsh winters and also periods with really bad weather where i don´t want to drive the car, so it tends to sit from time to time and only get used when weather is good.

A few month ago it started acting up and giving me a "Service Stabilitrak" notification aswell as (sometimes) a CEL.
However, only if it sat a few days/weeks and only on the first cold start.
The Stabilitrak fault usually goes away after rolling just a few feet but the CEL stays.
It only turns off after unhooking the battery and putting it back on.

Also, it likes to cough up rather dark smoke from the exhaust, but only on the cold start.

I don´t know if the plugs got pulled/replaced yet and the car has about 40k miles on it by now.
Other than that it runs fine! Without any other issues.

I was thinking about pulling the plugs and replacing them but also wanted to adress the hive mind in the forum if i might be on a completely wrong path....

Do you think that the Sparkplugs might be done? Or is it maybe an issue with the battery, which is also still the first from the factory? Or maybe even something completely differen?

Thank you guys and Greetings from Munich!
ThatGermanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:03 AM   #2
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I wouldn't unhook the battery - I would get a good trickle charger. When I first got my 2016 I had all kinds of problems the first couple years storing it with the battery unhooked (like I had always done with previously owned sports cars). They all went away when I put it on a trickle charger over the winter. Low voltage causes weird things to happen on these cars.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:40 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Seconding the trickle charger idea instead of regularly disconnecting the battery. I started with the OEM branded CTEK charger that GM sells as an accessory, then switched to a much more refined Tecmate Optimate 6 unit, and never had any issue, it keeps the battery in great condition.

Also, spurious codes after battery disconnect/reconnect events occur regularly with my car, too, I had to clear random electrical "faults" that never returned almost every time I disconnected with the battery (I always do that when installing parts anywhere near airbags, for example).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:06 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I would put a voltmeter on the battery and see what you get.
If this is the original battery in a 2016, it is 8 years old. That's pushing it even for an AGM. You could also remove it and get it load tested, but I would hesitate to reinstall an 8 year old battery even if it tested fine.

Not sure your problem is due to the battery, but it is so old you have to take a look there first.

I have a 2017 Acura MDX still on the original battery. i got an emissions code last week, which was probably related to driving through some deep water. Code went away and did not return, but when I put a meter on my "fully charged" battery (also happens to take a group 48 AGM), I got 12.3 volts!
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote