Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 01-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
slvrsrpnt

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
1st time autocross attempt this morning

My local autocross club has a novice class. Had some fun today. Looking forward to going again and being confident enough to actually put some pedal into it!

Last edited by slvrsrpnt; 02-05-2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: edited video to remove dead time
slvrsrpnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
jwisjw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
My local autocross club has a novice class. Had some fun today. Looking forward to going again and being confident enough to actually put some pedal into it!
Looking good, keep at it! It gets so much better and it will help familiarize the limits if you ever go to a track event.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
jealous of your weather! hah

Keep it up!
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
HyperspaceTurd

Drives: 17 1SS 6MT, 09 Tacoma TRD Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
jealous of your weather! hah

Keep it up!
+1

You’re screwed now bud. Shoulda tried heroine instead. Less addictive, cheaper.
HyperspaceTurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
ajr6thgen

Drives: Arctic Blue '18 1SS 1LE
So true. All it takes is once and you're hooked for life.
ajr6thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
slvrsrpnt

It was a great time, even on the little course they set up for the folks that never did it before. I wanted to do a 2nd novice class before doing the actual timed racing they do on Sundays but the wife made and paid for plans for the weekend in February.
In March they have no Novice classes but two full weekend SCCA Match Tour events.
That would leave April as my next shot out....gonna be a long wait!
Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsrpnt View Post
That would leave April as my next shot out....gonna be a long wait!
Does your region not allow novices to run the regular events? If it's SCCA they should.

Run the Match Tours anyways, nobody cares how fast/slow you run, get that seat time in!!
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
slvrsrpnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
Does your region not allow novices to run the regular events? If it's SCCA they should.

Run the Match Tours anyways, nobody cares how fast/slow you run, get that seat time in!!
I was hoping to have another few practice runs, I'll see if I can get to the Sunday run in February.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #9
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
By 'novice class' do you mean 'school'? If you are looking for help from an instructor, there may be other autocross schools near you besides the ones done by this particular club. Try searching out the local clubs, you might find some more opportunities.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Dive in head first. Do the Match Tour, tell people you're new and they'll go out of their way to help you out. Don't worry about your finishing position, just have fun and see some cool cars go fast.

Follow the links to pre-reg at scca.com.

Info here- https://www.scca.com/events/1990236-...ers-match-tour

Edit: Looks like the schedule is already posted- https://www.scca.com/downloads/39422...te-and-bristol

Another edit: I see they have the "EVO Advantage" program available at the event. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND doing this. It's a combination of novice orientation (show you how the event works) and driving instruction.

Last edited by rotis; 01-09-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Links
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
That looks like GCAC.

The have a Novice class at every event (even if you are the only car).

Consider registering for the EVO School on 2/17-18 @ Brooksville.

I will be down at GCAC for the ProSolo in March.

If you think AutoX is fun, you should come join us at Sebring on 2/9 for a Track day.

http://evoschool.com/#8F70F446-942C-...3489CC3989295E

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
slvrsrpnt

I'm not entirely new to F-Bodies or Vettes, but new to actually doing more than minor public jack assery. Figured my local autocross club would be a great bang for the buck to have some fun. I read some about SCCA and NASA - both groups and track days here in Florida...looks like a blast, just a bit more cash and more tires! (Gave up playing hockey to make up for car payment difference.....think annual cost for tires will surpass the $1200 a year for hockey!)

wnta1ss - my local autocross club has meets once a month with Saturday having 2 smaller tracks set up. One for novices like me where they walk the course, explain some basics and have an instructor ride along. The other for test/tune runs. Sunday is the full track with the times events. (Not sure if everywhere does this, it seems like a pretty good way to run things.)

rotis - I more than likely will go to the regular times run in Feb (even though I didn't get the course worker part thing done, had plans for wife car shopping and dinner with friends that night) I would imagine solo run match and "EVO Advantage" program requires me joining SCCA to participate. I'll read up on it. Thank you.

MatthewAMEL - Yes, Gulf Coast Auto Cross. We had 20 cars for the Novice class this past Saturday. (also where I did the driver training at the local Police Academy and my city during my brief law enforcement gig.....worst job ever!) I was checking out the NASA HPDE for Palm Beach next month. Wasn't sure how the SCCA group did their newbie instruction. Looks amazing, but I think I need to take some baby steps with Auto crossing before hitting those real tracks (and changing my break fluid!)

Thank you everyone for taking some time to reply to this old fart newb!
Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
There are a couple of fairly big differences between autocross and HPDE, and I think they're worth mentioning at this point. Since it is timed, autocross is by definition competition among drivers, either directly (same class) or indirectly via PAX factoring. HPDE is not timed unless you bring your own datalogging equipment, and even then there is emphasis on not running any harder or faster than what you're comfortable with (especially at the novice level where everybody starts out). First time out, this could be 15 seconds slower on a track that you'll eventually run 1:40's at, with top speeds at least 10 mph slower than you'll eventually see. If it matters, I was 64 when I ran my first track event.

Autocross is brief durations of activity that borders on being "frantic". HPDE is much longer durations at a relatively relaxed pace. I'm talking about your control inputs here, steering, shifting, and pedals. There have been times when not in traffic that I'll get a few laps in a row that feel a lot like a brisk drive out in the country (only I know intellectually that I'm going faster). There isn't time enough to think like that at autocross.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you don't need to be too apprehensive about trying out a track day as long as you've got the good common sense to stay within your comfort zone.

Norm