Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-27-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
Blakells

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
What do you guys think will happen to the (largely american) higher-end v8 sports/mus

With the "electrification" of cars, many v8-v10-v12 internal combustion cars are getting discontinued.
What do you guys think happens to their valuation in say 5 years from now granted they don't make any more?
Will they go up in value and be seen more as a "collector's" car?
Or will nobody really care?
The best thing I can think of is the dodge viper. Limited runway, and they went way up because as time went on they became more and more rare (and being americas best performing sports car definitely doesn't make it any worse).

So what happens to the limited runway, small supply american high-end sports/muscle cars?
Things like the camaro zl1 1le, the corvette c7 zr1 (or even z06), the ford gt500, etc...
And especially, the ones that are manual? I already see manuals charging a hefty premium.

Are those super-gritty, visceral, big block american cars truly going to just die in a poof, or will the market price them at a premium as they become more sought after and everything switches to electric and small displacement forced induction?
Blakells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:20 AM   #2
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
all depends on the price of fuel
they could end up being like old steam locomotives....
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:22 AM   #3
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Is gas $10/gallon (or more)? If so, I think nobody cares and virtually nobody wants them. Some rich folks will have a colletion of them sitting in their warehouse (personal show room). The rest will sit and rot away or someone will take what they can get for it trading it off on whatever their next purchase is.

Is gas still reasonable? If so there will remain an enthusiest crowd for them, but only the rare ones will go up in value.

Just my $.02
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #4
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
5 years is way too short thinking.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #5
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
I'm with farmerfran....

electric cars, new or used, are still WAY out of reach for most when you consider the price of the car, the cost of replacement batteries on used models and watching the apartment to house ratio being built here in sin city, imagine trying to approach your apartment manager and ask to install a charger in the parking lot....

there also seems to be some schools of thought that believe hybrid with small displacement engines are a better short term outlook than electric.

all of this will keep ice engines and gas around as the primary mode of people movement for at least the next 15 years.

all imo.....
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #6
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I agree with others saying 5 years is way too short a timeframe for that to happen. I believe GM is coming out with a gen vi small block in 2026. Ford is bringing out the gen 4 coyote in MY 2024. If manufacturers didn’t think there would be demand for v8’s for at least the next 10-15 years they wouldn’t have invested in these new engines.

The way fuel economy/cafe standards work is they are more lax towards SUV’s and trucks. So gas should still be at a reasonable cost in the near future as if it wasn’t projected to be the manufactures wouldn’t invest in these engines.

I don’t see the value of V8 sport coupes going up in the next 5 years HOWEVER they may not depreciate at all much or any from their msrps.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:27 AM   #7
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
It's impossible to know, given that the federal government is so capricious in its actions. They are waging an ideological war against petroleum, yet practically speaking, we can't stop using petroleum for decades going forward.

On the other hand, the feds or the states could simply outlaw ICE cars by forbidding re-registration, tax gas to the moon to suppress its use, and that's the end of the line for enthusiast cars.

If I was going to buy a Camaro that would appreciate in value, I would buy a manual ZL1-1LE, and store it away. It would be worth a lot of money in the future, or would be worth almost nothing.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:41 AM   #8
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
They will come up with some alternative fuel... They also need to come up with alternative to plastic before killing off oil. I am sure we are fine. One way or another.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 11:44 AM   #9
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
It's impossible to know, given that the federal government is so capricious in its actions. They are waging an ideological war against petroleum, yet practically speaking, we can't stop using petroleum for decades going forward.

On the other hand, the feds or the states could simply outlaw ICE cars by forbidding re-registration, tax gas to the moon to suppress its use, and that's the end of the line for enthusiast cars.

If I was going to buy a Camaro that would appreciate in value, I would buy a manual ZL1-1LE, and store it away. It would be worth a lot of money in the future, or would be worth almost nothing.

If the states only do it that won't work with the prices of new cars especially EVs people can just rent or get property in rural places in another state and register their vehicle there. People do that already my home state of Connecticut. People are registering cars in Maine legally that way and it's one of the worst kept secrets. At least in Southeast CT. Makes me wonder where else it is happening.

Back on topic though I don't think the future is as clear at the moment if things go on track sure but lately I have been dumping a lot more money into savings because I don't know where the economy is going. In regards to both ICE and EVs people might end up having trouble getting both in the higher price ranges which means the least expensive vehicles get bought more which is Subaru crosstreks, Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas or other vehicles like them in that price range and they are all ICE. Depends on how the banks are in time. EDIT: Fixed a sentence error

Last edited by Devstrike; 04-27-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
~30 years ago people endured oil embargo's/OPEC, emissions standards, Unleaded fuel, yet he are.

Im unconcerned and otherwise just don't care about sports/muscle cars/ICE.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #11
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Gas will be available but if the gas powered enthusiast cars are no longer in production the existing ones will only go up in value. Example Dodge Viper.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 02:25 PM   #12
TheEnthusiast

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1SS
If ICE gets outlawed, guess I'll be an outlaw then. An over reaching Gov can suck it.
Old 04-27-2023, 02:35 PM   #13
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
They will come up with some alternative fuel... They also need to come up with alternative to plastic before killing off oil. I am sure we are fine. One way or another.
Here is the stupidity of our "leaders": A barrel of oil is 45% gasoline, and 29% diesel fuel. If you want plastics, jet fuel, lubricants, and any of the other millions of sometimes miraculous products made of the remaining 26% of the oil, you have to make gasoline and diesel.

In the future they will probably send it overseas to be burned up in Bangladesh at $.50 per gallon, while YOU have to buy carbon-offset synthetic gas at $18 per gallon to fill up your Camaro, only to have to drive on shit roads that look like they belong in Bangladesh.

This headlong rush to the electric utopia is all about you and me learning to live with less, while the elite still live their charmed lives.
Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 03:26 PM   #14
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post

This headlong rush to the electric utopia is all about you and me learning to live with less, while the elite still live their charmed lives.
Where do you get this from? That's not what this is about at all.

Most of the developed world day to day existence is dependent on fossil fuels, and it's these same fossil fuels that are contributing to a global warming phenomenon that will likely massively alter climate patterns, ability to grow food, and destroy life in the seas. Scientists have been warning about this more or less since the 1990s, but nobody has listened. The proof (ice caps melting at alarming rates and glaciers receding everywhere) is now clear. Several governments (including the US) are now finally acting to try to prevent a catastrophy, and essentially forcing the changes on the populous by phasing out ICE engines.

It's being done because the average US individual doesn't care enough about the environment or the future of human race to modify their personal behavior (conserve energy). You need only look at how many people leave their car idling for extended periods while they sit in a parking lot waiting for a family member or a pick up order to draw that conclusion.

One can easily argue that it's not the best thought out plan (you'll need an electric infrastructure to take it's place), but it's not being enacted to "control YOU" for the sake of exerting control.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote