#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #57
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazmXylam View Post
My solution was some BMW 5 series take offs. Yup, they fit over the SS 1LE sized brakes. The 245/45R18 size offers a wide range of tire choices at a reasonable price. They almost make the car look like a turbo or V6 variant.
That's very interesting. I'll be ordering a 1LE at the end of the year and I'm having a hard time getting a definitive answer on winter options. I'll be daily driving in Michigan (as long as it's a light snow) and I see people saying 20s don't offer many tire options. I was considering looking for stock SS 19" take offs but this may be another option.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #58
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
The 18" Camaro LT wheels fit just fine over the calipers. 18" tires are cheaper too...
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #59
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeZ NuttS View Post
I drive my 2SS 1LE every day. I am so glad I sprung for all the extras. Makes you fall in love with the car that much more. I use the sunroof and cooled seats almost every time I get in it now. The only issue for me is space, anything over 6 grocery bags in the trunk and your screwed, but then again that's why I have a girlfriend who owns an SUV
What kind of bags are you using for your groceries, exactly? Like the Hefty garbage bags meant for yard debris?! I can fit probably 30 grocery bags in the trunk, space isn't the issue at all.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #60
SpazmXylam
Because Racecar!

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K+1LE View Post
I can fit probably 30 grocery bags in the trunk, space isn't the issue at all.

yeah, trunk is quite large. Just the opening is tiny. Not to mention the back seats fold down.
SpazmXylam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #61
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
That's very interesting. I'll be ordering a 1LE at the end of the year and I'm having a hard time getting a definitive answer on winter options. I'll be daily driving in Michigan (as long as it's a light snow) and I see people saying 20s don't offer many tire options. I was considering looking for stock SS 19" take offs but this may be another option.
I daily mine in Michigan as well. Wound up buying some Drag DR37 wheels via Discount tire in 19x9.5 and running a squared 285 setup. Car handled much better than the previous set of 245s I had on the car mainly due to the wheel fitment. With the offsets I purchased the front wheels sit exactly where stock does and the rear tires only poke in a few mm from the stock 305s. Definitely didn't have any huge handling or traction losses and highly recommend this route (or something like it) if you look to get a winter setup brand new.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #62
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
The 18" Camaro LT wheels fit just fine over the calipers. 18" tires are cheaper too...

They also handle potholes and rough roads better, which you get a ton of from the plows and buckling pavement.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #63
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
I'm 64 (referencing the 'old and cranky' 45 year old poster - haha!) and while I don't daily drive mine because I have an '08 Silverado that I drive to work, I would not hesitate doing so if it were my only car.

It is a true pleasure to drive in many ways.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #64
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Its my only car. Not having the seat all the way down but up, maybe all the way up really assists the visability, its still not good and I'm 5' 9". If your head is barely visible over the door I bet you do have terrible vis problems. Having much more awareness of whos around, more spatial awareness helps me. Im happy with the Tour setting that eases some of the harshness when I want to take the edge off.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #65
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post
I daily mine in Michigan as well. Wound up buying some Drag DR37 wheels via Discount tire in 19x9.5 and running a squared 285 setup. Car handled much better than the previous set of 245s I had on the car mainly due to the wheel fitment. With the offsets I purchased the front wheels sit exactly where stock does and the rear tires only poke in a few mm from the stock 305s. Definitely didn't have any huge handling or traction losses and highly recommend this route (or something like it) if you look to get a winter setup brand new.
I agree with this.

A square setup also has the full warranty, which is 30k for a set of PA4s as long as you rotate them.

Also, we now have the option of performance winter tires instead of just regular 'ol studless Blizzaks or XIce tires. A tire like the PA4 is actually really good on cold, dry pavement, it's not dangerous and unpredictable like running summer tires when it's too cold out. This makes the car a lot more fun to drive vs narrow 18s and non-performance snow tires, which will totally hobble your car in dry conditions and make it not much fun to drive at all.

As far as width, you'll get excellent traction on snowpacked roads even with very wide tires... more edges and sipes = more traction. The downside and where you might want narrower tires, is if you have to get thru deeper snow or slush... but then you really do have the wrong vehicle because of ground clearance! 99% of the time I'll be driving in the snow it'll be packed and wider tires are fine.

For sizing winter tires in general there are actually tons of options with these cars from full size 305/20s down to 235/18s.

I would recommend, for most uses, a 265-285 width tire on 19" rims. I just got a set of Porsche-spec PA4s in 265/40/19 for $550 delivered to my door including taxes, along with an $80 rebate from Tire Rack. IMO, a 19 x 9.5 wheel with 20mm offset should work fine and there are quite a few of choices in this rim size that won't cost a fortune. This width will work fine with 265-285 width tires.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538875

As far as daily driving a SS Camaro, depends on mileage. IMO it's a bit ridiculous for a long commute every day, it simply uses too much gas and the tires cost too much. You and the entire world will be better off environmentally and financially if you lease a basic econo box for $150 or so per month. It's likely fuel savings alone would pay for your new car. Also this way your sports car will seem special and fun and the issues with visibility, more effort to get in, out, park, etc won't become tiresome. I'm lucky enough to work from home and I'm also within a mile of groceries, etc. so I normally only drive my car to visit parents and friends, go mt biking, etc... and now that I have a car that's capable, I'm looking forward to driving on track and AutoX next summer!
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #66
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I agree with this.

A square setup also has the full warranty, which is 30k for a set of PA4s as long as you rotate them.

Also, we now have the option of performance winter tires instead of just regular 'ol studless Blizzaks or XIce tires. A tire like the PA4 is actually really good on cold, dry pavement, it's not dangerous and unpredictable like running summer tires when it's too cold out. This makes the car a lot more fun to drive vs narrow 18s and non-performance snow tires, which will totally hobble your car in dry conditions and make it not much fun to drive at all.

As far as width, you'll get excellent traction on snowpacked roads even with very wide tires... more edges and sipes = more traction. The downside and where you might want narrower tires, is if you have to get thru deeper snow or slush... but then you really do have the wrong vehicle because of ground clearance! 99% of the time I'll be driving in the snow it'll be packed and wider tires are fine.

For sizing winter tires in general there are actually tons of options with these cars from full size 305/20s down to 235/18s.

I would recommend, for most uses, a 265-285 width tire on 19" rims. I just got a set of Porsche-spec PA4s in 265/40/19 for $550 delivered to my door including taxes, along with an $80 rebate from Tire Rack. IMO, a 19 x 9.5 wheel with 20mm offset should work fine and there are quite a few of choices in this rim size that won't cost a fortune. This width will work fine with 265-285 width tires.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538875

As far as daily driving a SS Camaro, depends on mileage. IMO it's a bit ridiculous for a long commute every day, it simply uses too much gas and the tires cost too much. You and the entire world will be better off environmentally and financially if you lease a basic econo box for $150 or so per month. It's likely fuel savings alone would pay for your new car. Also this way your sports car will seem special and fun and the issues with visibility, more effort to get in, out, park, etc won't become tiresome. I'm lucky enough to work from home and I'm also within a mile of groceries, etc. so I normally only drive my car to visit parents and friends, go mt biking, etc... and now that I have a car that's capable, I'm looking forward to driving on track and AutoX next summer!
I'm going to disagree with this. I bought my 2018 1SS 1LE to drive, not to look at in the garage. The same for my 2016 1SS. I average just over 1500 miles a month and I can afford the gas, tires and oil, so it's the only car I drive regularly and I love driving to every day. I hate to even get in my wife's Accord.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #67
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I'm going to disagree with this. I bought my 2018 1SS 1LE to drive, not to look at in the garage. The same for my 2016 1SS. I average just over 1500 miles a month and I can afford the gas, tires and oil, so it's the only car I drive regularly and I love driving to every day. I hate to even get in my wife's Accord.
20 years ago I'd be agreeing with you...

Now, I just don't care that much. I still love fast cars which is why the SS 1LE is my only car, but it definitely doesn't bother me to drive lesser cars and I'd be leasing a Cruze or Bolt or something if I had a long commute. 1500 miles a month isn't too bad though, just above average. Many folks drive a lot more than that.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #68
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
20 years ago I'd be agreeing with you...

Now, I just don't care that much. I still love fast cars which is why the SS 1LE is my only car, but it definitely doesn't bother me to drive lesser cars and I'd be leasing a Cruze or Bolt or something if I had a long commute. 1500 miles a month isn't too bad though, just above average. Many folks drive a lot more than that.
I only drive to work three days a week, but it's a decent distance. With my SS I look forward to the drive, with a beater I would dread it.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #69
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Fastest way for me to get bored of a car is to drive it everyday. 1SS 1LE would be weekend car only. Always feels special to drive that way. Commuting everyday would be good if I had an all star commute with backroads and no traffic. Otherwise, that's what a daily economical 4cyl is for. And I like driving all cars. I have a VW Golf TDI that's actually really fun to drive b/c it's no nimble, has DSG and paddle shifters, and crapload of torque.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #70
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Fastest way for me to get bored of a car is to drive it everyday. 1SS 1LE would be weekend car only. Always feels special to drive that way. Commuting everyday would be good if I had an all star commute with backroads and no traffic. Otherwise, that's what a daily economical 4cyl is for. And I like driving all cars. I have a VW Golf TDI that's actually really fun to drive b/c it's no nimble, has DSG and paddle shifters, and crapload of torque.
This—rocky road icecream is delicious now and then, not every day. Very subjective , of course.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote