Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-04-2023, 11:21 PM   #1
Shane_XR

Drives: 13' Camaro RS / 18' Camaro RS
New purchase, oil leak.

So, I totaled my 5th gen unfortunately. Just purchased a 6th gen yesterday and today notice its smoking. Lovely, right? Well luckily theres a 30 day return period because its with Carmax (probably where I went wrong). I plan on dropping this off to them tomorrow and complaining big time.

However, Im hoping its simply just a valve cover leak which it appears to be and probably has been leaking for some time. Anyone seen anything similar or experienced this themselves? Its a 2018 (V6) and I'm at 76k miles and another thread mentioned this happening around that time frame but I havent found much else. Both sides appear to be leaking but the driver side SIGNIFICANTLY more and onto the exhaust.

I wont even get into the mismatched painted front bumper.

Pics attached below.

Shane_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Its a used car that's why they give you time to find small problems to fix. They will fix it getting in someone's face will only kill the good will. Salesmen have no idea of the condition of the car that's your job.

Last edited by Jeb114; 05-05-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #3
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Most 6th gens have the mismatched bumper paint issue.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:29 PM   #4
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
I'd return the car. If they didnt find that in their 100234234 point inspection, then god knows what else there is. There are plenty of 6th gen v6s available for sale. I'd get one with the 10 speed if its auto, I think they began with those in 2019.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
rst08tierney
Account Suspended

Drives: '23 2SS Rapid Blue
76k miles on the clock and you didn't get the car on a lift before buying? Get your money back while you can and run.
rst08tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
My 21 v6, 50k , only oil I can see is a very slight bit on driver's side cam cover at what I think are cam sensors. Let us know what happens. I keep engine cover off.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:32 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get your money back and find another Camaro with less miles is my advice.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #8
Shane_XR

The sales manager after "digging deeper" in the history pulled up the front bumper was repainted at the last carmax location (I had it transferred). I pulled off some painters tape near the lower grill. The entire thing was painted very poorly as they didnt even remove the bumper to repaint it.

Both side valve covers are leaking. I was given a loaner and everything will be replaced/repainted in the next two weeks. However if I find another camaro they have listed I will simply be exchanging it because I aint bout this life right now.... We will see how the repairs turn out.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:28 PM   #9
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_XR View Post
The sales manager after "digging deeper" in the history pulled up the front bumper was repainted at the last carmax location (I had it transferred). I pulled off some painters tape near the lower grill. The entire thing was painted very poorly as they didnt even remove the bumper to repaint it.

Both side valve covers are leaking. I was given a loaner and everything will be replaced/repainted in the next two weeks. However if I find another camaro they have listed I will simply be exchanging it because I aint bout this life right now.... We will see how the repairs turn out.
Based on what you just said I do believe the repair was done poorly. Do yourself a favor and before picking up the car again go to the photos section on this forum and select the color that your camaro is and carefully examine the pictures that show the side of the car so you can see the bumper vs fender paint. On a lot of 6th gens the bumper colors will be slightly different. It will never match perfectly on the metallic colors (if that’s what you got). The non metallic colors seem to match much better. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to get them to match perfectly.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #10
Shane_XR

As long as it comes out even SLIGHTLY better than this, ill be satisfied. I almost didn't even notice this to be honest.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:54 PM   #11
jcharm

Drives: 2021 LT1 Camaro
Pretty sure good shops won't just paint the bumper panel but will blend the paint into the front quarter.
jcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 04:20 AM   #12
79 TransAm that never was

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 6.2 MT6
Expecting a shop to match the entire car with a mismatched front fascia would throw the color of the whole car off. A good paint shop would look for a front fascia that matched and call it a day.
Drop it off and run. With that many miles on the clock and with having two big problems right off the bat (oil leak and mismatched paint) I'd say the hell with fixing it, demand my money back, count my blessings, and look elsewhere for a low millage vehicle. Who knows what could go next.

There's plenty of vehicles out there, be patient and be particular. Camaro's tend to be abused, don't settle for a vehicle that already has known problems at the time of purchase.
If it ain't perfect, walk away and consider yourself fortunate!

Last edited by 79 TransAm that never was; 05-06-2023 at 04:58 AM.
79 TransAm that never was is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:44 PM   #13
Shane_XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 TransAm that never was View Post
Expecting a shop to match the entire car with a mismatched front fascia would throw the color of the whole car off. A good paint shop would look for a front fascia that matched and call it a day.
Drop it off and run. With that many miles on the clock and with having two big problems right off the bat (oil leak and mismatched paint) I'd say the hell with fixing it, demand my money back, count my blessings, and look elsewhere for a low millage vehicle. Who knows what could go next.

There's plenty of vehicles out there, be patient and be particular. Camaro's tend to be abused, don't settle for a vehicle that already has known problems at the time of purchase.
If it ain't perfect, walk away and consider yourself fortunate!
Im kinda playing the waiting game at this point. Ive been told if I find anything else I would prefer that they have listed, they will ship it here for free. So I'm going to give them time to make these repairs because I really did like how the camaro drove, I truly believe it was simply just a bad valve cover gasket. Things happen, so if they can fix it (PROPERLY) as far as the gasket and repainting go, ill be fine. However, if in the meantime I find something else Im going to 100% have them ship it so I can check it out.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:59 PM   #14
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
With CarMax you need to buy the most extended and longest service warranty you can get. Also, you need to pay on your own (est. $150) and have it inspected by a reputable shop (best money ever spent) that knows Camaro's. Without doing this, you may regret it.
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote