Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
buckyss

Drives: '19 Camaro SS
Not as loud after new engine....

2019 Camaro 2SS
Bone stock
New engine and transmission.

It is not nearly as loud as it was prior to the engine blowing up. It hardly ever pops or crackles on over runs when it was almost embarrassing how often it did it before..any possible reason for this? I run it mostly in sport mode, and yes the actuators are open. Just wondering what might be a reason for this. Last week I drive it, putting away for winter this coming weekend.

I have 420 miles on a new engine...still breaking it in. any help appreciated...any criticism is not necessary.

Thanks.
buckyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyss View Post
2019 Camaro 2SS
Bone stock

It is not nearly as loud as it was prior to the engine blowing up. It hardly ever pops or crackles on over runs when it was almost embarrassing how often it did it before..any possible reason for this? I run it mostly in sport mode, and yes the actuators are open. Just wondering what might be a reason for this. Last week I drive it, putting away for winter this coming weekend.

I have 420 miles on a new engine...still breaking it in. any help appreciated...any criticism is not necessary.

Thanks.
I don't have an answer for why it crackles and pops less with the new motor. The good news is that there are tuners available with tunes that will crackle and pop as much as your heart desires.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #3
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Supposedly GM dialed up the crackles and pops in the tune at some point. Maybe you have an earlier version of the tune?
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
buckyss

are you saying I can take to dealer and explain it and see if there is a different tune for it??? I never heard of this...
Old 10-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
are you saying I can take to dealer and explain it and see if there is a different tune for it??? I never heard of this...
They changed the tune in 2019 to give it a lot more snap, crackle & pop... I agree, your "new" engine, may have the pre-2019 tune...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:40 AM   #6
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
You do realize popping and cracking mean the engine is not running right.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
Grimlock212

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, Volvo V70R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
You do realize that Chevy programs popping and crackling into the tune, right? Otherwise, my engine is running *REALLY* poorly!
Grimlock212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #8
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Incorrect. The popping and crackling is an effect triggered after stabbing the throttle and abruptly letting off while in gear. The result is that an unburnt fuel mixture post combustion ends up igniting within the exhaust, thus creating said popping and crackling. It is a unique "feature" GM chose to use and can either be eliminated or exaggerated by adjusting the tune.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:57 AM   #9
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Unless the ECM was recalibrated after the engine was replaced the engine itself has no effect on the snap,crackle,pops assuming it was replaced with an OE engine. Check your RO form the dealer if that is where work was performed and see if an ECM recalibration is listed.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:58 AM   #10
buckyss

any information I can share with my Chevy dealer as to what the tune is? Numbers, codes etc? They have never heard of such a thing. Thanks for your help and input.
Old 10-25-2022, 11:07 AM   #11
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
2019 Camaro 2SS
Bone stock

Thanks.

Could it have to do with the engine being super low miles and needing to break in before that portion of the tune is activated?
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:14 AM   #12
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
2019 Camaro 2SS
Bone stock

Thanks.
Whoever installed your engine probably did you a favor and got rid of the sound tube that isn’t needed. That would make it quieter in the car.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I swear that after I got my rear-diff re-calibrated last year the car popped more under these conditions, a 2018. But IDK. Some of this is getting way out of control with the popping, to the point of just being dumb. I saw an RS3 the other day that was just annoying.
Diff changes would change the load on the engine so that could cause it to pop differently from when it was stock.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #14
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
They changed the tune in 2019 to give it a lot more snap, crackle & pop... I agree, your "new" engine, may have the pre-2019 tune...
I favor this explanation.
It is all about unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust. probably going to be hard to get a dealer to give you the exact tune you want to get this back.

My bias, assuming the new engine is running fine, would be to NOT mess with it.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote