Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Name:  294681811_474131841380132_1754496492753251626_n.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  78.7 KB
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #58

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Looks like rare-earth materials needed for EVs won't change much at least through 2030. I guess this is "good news" for gm at least. Didn't see any mention of cost, or costs coming down (for consumers) as years go by...

https://insideevs.com/news/600534/ge...athode-supply/

GM Ultium Platform
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:22am ET
By: Steven Loveday
Today, July 26, 2022, General Motors officially announced two new deals that will help "fuel" its electric vehicle efforts going forward. The automaker shared that it has signed long-term battery-related agreements with both LG Chem and Livent. The company also noted that both deals will focus on GM and its suppliers working to localize production.

Industry experts and CEOs have made it clear of late that raw materials may become a big issue for automakers amid the transition to electric cars. Tesla CEO Elon Musk is gone so far as to encourage people to get involved in mining.

While there are plenty of battery materials out there, someone has to mine them and refine them, not to mention turn the raw materials into actual battery cells, which eventually make up electric vehicle battery packs.

Some automakers appear to be scrambling to get a leg up on rivals by securing battery materials well into the future. According to Automotive News, GM said it already has suppliers lined up for all battery-related materials, such as cobalt, lithium, and nickel, along with cathode active material. The company went on to say that it's confident it will be able to meet its goal of producing 1 million electric cars per year in North America by the end of 2025.

GM shared that the new deal with LG Chem will provide a supply of some 968,000 tons of cathode material. The material will begin to come in later this year, and the multi-year contract will run through 2030. GM said the total supply is enough to produce 5 million electric vehicles between now and 2030.

The publication goes on to explain that cathode material comprises some 40 percent of the cost of a single battery. The material comes from processed lithium and nickel, as well as other various materials.

The second deal is with Livent. According to GM, it will last six years, beginning in 2025. The supply agreement refers to an unspecified amount of battery-grade lithium hydroxide.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM   #59
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
2024 EV Camaro

Don't know if the rumors are true, but another report of an EV 4 dr Camaro.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...price-on-sale/
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:47 PM   #60
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Well they did mention they were planning on making a EV Camaro but it seems they are following Ford's route with the Mach E but trying to keep it as a car but 4 doors..... great....
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #61
Dan82679

Drives: 2017 ZL1
No thanks. I'm a master Electrician and believe me EV is not the future. Our power grid does not have the capacity to charge the entire populations electric cars. It can't even keep up when everyone AC is running. We don't have the charging system infrastructure in place so basically you cannot drive cross country in a EV. The electricity used to charge the EV comes from Coal power plants and all the machines used to dig for the battery minerals use lots of diesel fuel.

Now lets forget about all that and think about all the Toxic waste that the batteries produce at the end of there lifecycle. This honestly is a step backwards.
Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:55 PM   #62
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree Dan with your post!
Old 07-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #63
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan82679 View Post
No thanks. I'm a master Electrician and believe me EV is not the future. Our power grid does not have the capacity to charge the entire populations electric cars. It can't even keep up when everyone AC is running. We don't have the charging system infrastructure in place so basically you cannot drive cross country in a EV. The electricity used to charge the EV comes from Coal power plants and all the machines used to dig for the battery minerals use lots of diesel fuel.

Now lets forget about all that and think about all the Toxic waste that the batteries produce at the end of there lifecycle. This honestly is a step backwards.
Do you think these battery recycling plants they are planning will work? Will they help save money or just add more cost?

Also, what would it take to upgrade the grid to support this EV future they have planned? Is it even possible if they through enough money and resources at it?
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:21 PM   #64
Dan82679

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Do you think these battery recycling plants they are planning will work? Will they help save money or just add more cost?

Also, what would it take to upgrade the grid to support this EV future they have planned? Is it even possible if they through enough money and resources at it?
Let me tell you about solar panels when they came out in the late 80's. The crooked politicians promised that 90% of the toxic solar panel waste would be recycled. Today less than 10% gets recycled because of the cost.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #65
Vigilante375

Quote:
Let me tell you about solar panels when they came out in the late 80's. The crooked politicians promised that 90% of the toxic solar panel waste would be recycled. Today less than 10% gets recycled because of the cost.
Very true but if the Government put time and effort into it then it would be a lot better.

Like hydrogen production. It's a simple process to get pure hydrogen but we make it very complicated.

Same for computer parts. A lot of wasted in the recycling because the only material people want is the gold. Of the other parts were beneficial then it would be a great process.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #66
Dan82679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Very true but if the Government put time and effort into it then it would be a lot better.

Like hydrogen production. It's a simple process to get pure hydrogen but we make it very complicated.

Same for computer parts. A lot of wasted in the recycling because the only material people want is the gold. Of the other parts were beneficial then it would be a great process.
The government wants to control you that's why they want you to have electric cars so they can shut you down either by the power grid or by a a wireless signal disabling your electric car.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:50 PM   #67
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:

I assume you're right on all those points and I respect your credentials as a master Electrician. But I'm not sure what you mean by "EV is not the future".

Do you mean that the plan to transition to EV will fail in terms of market adoption, or that when the major mfrs like GM make this transition, the infrastructure will collapse and leaving us with an economic and environmental disaster?

Are you factoring in how the infrastructure itself is also changing and capable of more change, and at a different rate of change, like the electric vehicles that are being designed and built? Or do you believe that parallel transition of vehicle and infrastructure technology is impossible?

It seems clear that the significant R&D and engineering investment by all major global mfs is going into electric. Even after the recent decline, Tesla market cap is greater than or equal to all the other major mfrs combined--and they're all investing mostly in electric.

I'm a die hard ZLE owner and our other 2 cars are ICE (Acura and Lexus), but every time I drive a Tesla I'm amazed by the acceleration, smooth handling and technology throughout. Next car will be a Tesla, keeping the ZLE. There will always be a significant need for ICE/Hybrid vehicles, I would never go exploring, camping, hunting, etc in a remote region like the mountains or jungle without an ICE engine and extra containers of fuel.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #68
Dan82679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I assume you're right on all those points and I respect your credentials as a master Electrician. But I'm not sure what you mean by "EV is not the future".

Do you mean that the plan to transition to EV will fail in terms of market adoption, or that when the major mfrs like GM make this transition, the infrastructure will collapse and leaving us with an economic and environmental disaster?

Are you factoring in how the infrastructure itself is also changing and capable of more change, and at a different rate of change, like the electric vehicles that are being designed and built? Or do you believe that parallel transition of vehicle and infrastructure technology is impossible?

It seems clear that the significant R&D and engineering investment by all major global mfs is going into electric. Even after the recent decline, Tesla market cap is greater than or equal to all the other major mfrs combined--and they're all investing mostly in electric.

I'm a die hard ZLE owner and our other 2 cars are ICE (Acura and Lexus), but every time I drive a Tesla I'm amazed by the acceleration, smooth handling and technology throughout. Next car will be a Tesla, keeping the ZLE.

The only reason car mfrs are planning on producing electric cars is because the Government is forcing them. It will fail because it will not get adopted nor is it sustainable. Once the right politicians get in office and take back this country then it will become more clear.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:59 PM   #69
Vigilante375

Quote:
The government wants to control you that's why they want you to have electric cars so they can shut you down either by the power grid or by a a wireless signal disabling your electric car.
And it's not like they can't do the same with natural gas or oil or gasoline. Didn't recently someone hacked the gasoline pipe line and pretty much shutdown the whole East coast?

If you have solar panels then you can still have electricity. The Government can't block out the Sun.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:01 PM   #70
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
This thread is very interesting, and a lot of things are being said of which I agree with.

Following...!
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote