Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2020, 11:54 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ih560 View Post
After watching those videos it sounds dead on like what it is. I had worried that could be a possibility but was hoping that I was wrong. I hate that I have to remove the head to get to the lifters and verify it. I will pull the valve covers this weekend and see if the noise is much louder when they are removed. I purchased the upgraded GM performance lifters from Texas Speed when I did the Cam Swap /AFM delete. I was really hoping I would avoid this issue in the future.
Just be careful how much you let the car idle right now or when testing so as to save the cam and the lifter bore. Like I said above, hopefully I am wrong. Best of luck and let us know what you find.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:17 AM   #16
ih560

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I am trying to run it as little as possible. I will probably pull the valve covers Saturday morning and make sure the noise is louder with them off and then start digging in. I would have rather it been a blown head gasket.

I'm half tempted to just put a stock LS cam back in it and return the car to stock tune (minus the emissions stuff that is removed). The transmission tune is terrible, the shop who dyno tuned it said that was the best it could be and for the last few years I've been dealing with a nose dive/lean pop everytime I roll into the throttle at certain shift points. For instance if I am slowing down to a stoplight and then it turns green before I come to a stop and I roll back into the throttle, the car will nose over, pop and then blow the tires off, if I don't get out of the pedal fast enough.
ih560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I can see you're very frustrated with your situation and who wouldn't be?!? After you trouble shoot the problem I would say step back from the project and let it sit for a few weeks. Mull over in your head the direction you want to take the vehicle. DEFINITELY find a better shop to help you with your tune. It appears to me you made all the correct decisions on your build, you just got a bad (new) component AND a tuner unfamiliar with your setups. While your car is in garage "time out" page through this forum and gather info and ideas. There are some very knowledgeable individuals here who will be more than happy to give you guidance.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:21 AM   #18
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
It does sound like a bad lifter, or something in the valve train like a bent rod or loose rocker.
When my L99 engine died, I had a similar noise for about a month before it grenaded itself.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #19
ih560

I would love for it to be a bent pushrod or loose rocker. That would make me very happy but after reading and watching tons of videos on this exact issue and comparing the sound to mine, it definitely sounds like the lifter on the cam. Even following GMs TSB on the subject pretty much confirms it. I will tear into it tonight or tomorrow morning and let people know for sure.

If I had not already done the cam swap and AFM delete a few years ago I would take this opportunity to upgrade the cam and stuff, but this just sucks having to buy the same parts again, just adding it up it's going to be about $1,100 in parts and consumables to fix it. I bought the entire cam and AFM delete kit from TSP a few years ago on sale for around $1300-1400. Of course at the same time as that I also did full length headers, 3" exhaust, ported intake and throttle body, CAI etc, so it ended up being a pretty good sized chunk all it at once.

Does anyone know a tuner that is good with the 6 speed automatic in or around central KY? If I can't find someone who can guarantee they can make this car shift right, I will just buy the stuff and learn to tune it myself, I've tuned engines (mainly ford with SCT PRP) before but never a newer automatic transmission.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:34 PM   #20
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Dynosteve can remote tune it. Mine shifted like a beast . I chirped up to 4th gear.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
Dynosteve can remote tune it. Mine shifted like a beast . I chirped up to 4th gear.
Not anymore unless it's low lift. He won't remote tune anything over .600 lift, unless that's changed recently. I know he used to tune larger cams remotely though. I was hoping to have Steve tune mine at first when I was camming it back in March since I already bought 2 bolt on tunes from him and the second tune was a 'lifetime' tune (One for the L99 another for the LS3), so I figured I would save on tuning and a new device. He referred me to GPI. But it was all good, he spoke very highly of GPI which I thought was cool. But now I have an SCT X4 and an Hp Tuners MPVI2 lol.

But that kinda leads into what I was going to say. ih560, have you considered going with maybe a low lift baby cam, LS3 Hot Cam, Howards Cam or similar this time? Something easier on the valvetrain and which will allow you to run something like PAC beehives but that will still be a big improvement over stock? This is the perfect opportunity to change things up.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #22
Machh5
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
It maybe a leaking exhaust gasket, the sound is very is very similar to a squeaking lifter. You could try a little engine oil squirted into the intake while its running and see if it blows smoke out of the header gaskets. Wouldn't be the 1st time I heard them sound like this.
Machh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #23
ih560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machh5 View Post
It maybe a leaking exhaust gasket, the sound is very is very similar to a squeaking lifter. You could try a little engine oil squirted into the intake while its running and see if it blows smoke out of the header gaskets. Wouldn't be the 1st time I heard them sound like this.
I already changed the manifold gaskets and put new ones in on Tuesday. The small exhaust leak that I had went away and the chirp is definitely not an exhaust leak. I was really hoping it was something less expensive to fix. I will pull valve covers off and verify that the noise is deeper. I like my engine combo and it made plenty of power, I just hate the trans tune. The engine sounds awesome and had a good lope at idle, but it still very driveable, minus the shifting issue that I've been driving around for 3-4 years.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #24
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

I just listened. That's lifter chirp. Sorry man, I know you didn't want to hear that.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #25
ih560

I pulled the valve covers off and ran the car and it is not any louder or any easier to hear where it is coming from. I even tried the step in the GM TSB where is said to press down on the lifter side of the rocker with a wooden handle hammer to see if the sound changed but this didn't work on mine. It just started and has ran for less than an hour since it started doing it, so maybe it's now bad enough for this test to show anything yet. I'm going to let it cool down for a few and then start draining everything and take the top end off.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #26
ih560

OK I have one head off and I've already found 2 broken lifters and can tell that the cam is damaged looking through the lifter bore. So far there is one bad lifter on the driver's side and one bad on the passenger side that I can already see.

I'll post pictures shortly
Old 10-03-2020, 07:50 PM   #27
ih560

Both heads are off, two lifters total are broken and missing a section and the cam is scored. Both rear cylinders (7 and 8) had damaged lifters on the exhaust lobe of the cam.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 08:14 PM   #28
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

That sucks. Sorry this happened. Perfect excuse to put in a nice cam though