Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
NightRunner417

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Dead audio jack and problems connecting bluetooth transmitter to car stereo...

Hi Folks,

So, here it is. I have a 2017 V6 RS LT1 Camaro and uhhhhhhh I kinda like to play with hobby electronics. Like, it's a bit of a rabid hobby of mine. Anyway, long story short, I had designed a simple wideband radio receiver and connected it's output into the Camaro's console audio jack. All seemed fine and I had a ball for the afternoon, driving around and intercepting various radio signals, listening to them over the car speakers. I was also doing a lot of changes to the design as I drove around, and something apparently went wrong because sometime during that day, the audio input simply quit working. I kinda assume I overloaded the input and killed it, but of course I'm not really sure that's the case. I tried a few things to work out the problem but was unsuccessful. That's problem #1, and if anyone knows if there is a simple solution that I haven't thought of, please let me know.

Second issue, I got a small bluetooth transmitter/receiver for similar projects such as these. Part of the reason I got it was so I could wirelessly listen to whatever I cook up to pass through it, but also it occurred to me that *just maybe*, I could work around the car stereo jack problem by passing the audio from whatever project into the bluetooth transceiver in TX mode, connect the car stereo to it by bluetooth link, and play the live audio without risking the far more expensive car stereo ever again. The worst that might happen is the loss of the little $30 transceiver, totally survivable.

Problem is, when I try to pair, the transceiver's light goes into pairing mode, and then the car stereo's display pops up with, "Connection to Bluetooth device lost while pairing." I know it's directly responding to only the Bluetooth transceiver because I turned Bluetooth off on all my other devices, and besides that you can clearly tell the little transceiver is trying hard to connect by how the mode light changes behavior on it while the car stereo is busy failing to connect.

My assumption is that they are simply not compatible devices - the transceiver is most likely expecting a headset or similar receiver, and the car stereo is like, "What the heck are you and what do you want with me?"
Has anyone here got any experience with playing a live, bluetooth fed stream over such a setup, and if so, how did you do it? I'm not talking about playing MP3 music from a phone or tablet; I can do that all day long. I'm talking about something like a guitar, or a microphone, or a police scanner, or a CB radio, etc, connected to the Camaro's car stereo and playing it over the speakers in real time using specifically Bluetooth. And yes, I do have an FM transmitter that works great for this sort of thing, but connecting a highly sensitive and very wide band radio receiver to an FM transmitter is pretty much a headache waiting to happen with all kinds of crazy feedback issues. I need Bluetooth or hard wiring because either are immune to such problems with the radio receiver device.

I know it all sounds a little odd, but that's me. Everyone's got their thing; mine just happens to be a little alien to most people. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, I will be eternally grateful for them.

Thanks and have a great day!

Rick
NightRunner417 is offline   Reply With Quote