Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
Arugon

Drives: Summit White Camaro SS
LOUD Ticking Noise

So I went out to eat tonight and all was fine until we went to leave the restaurant. I immediately noticed a very loud ticking almost oscillating sound that was in sync with how many rpm I was at. In other words, the higher my RMP the less time between ticks. The car has NEVER made this sound before and I am nearing 9k miles and over 1.5 years since purchase.

My first thought was that it's something with the belts but I couldn't seem to find anything out of the ordinary. It sounds like it is coming from inside the block on the drivers side and the exhaust sound at idle almost seems like a cylinder might be misfiring but no check engine light. A coworker of mine suggests that it could be a loose valve spring.

Any help here guys? I'd prefer to avoid removing my catch can in order to go the the stealership. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/qzONreJ8-kc
https://youtu.be/xqdrNOwpLrc
Old 11-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Umm! I'm afraid you may need to pull that catch can and head to the dealership. That sounds like an unwanted valve train noise - something like a push rod slapping around because of a bad lifter. If you had headers I'd say - check for an exhaust leak first for maybe a loose bolt or bad gasket. But with stock exhaust a leak is not likely. Also it sounds very much like metal to metal contact.

Does it go away or diminish once the engine is fully warmed up (like a lifter that is slow to pump up)?

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
That's a dealer service visit. Verify oil level, remove can.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Arugon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Umm! I'm afraid you may need to pull that catch can and head to the dealership. That sounds like an unwanted valve train noise - something like a push rod slapping around because of a bad lifter. If you had headers I'd say - check for an exhaust leak first for maybe a loose bolt or bad gasket. But with stock exhaust a leak is not likely. Also it sounds very much like metal to metal contact.

Does it go away or diminish once the engine is fully warmed up (like a lifter that is slow to pump up)?
I do have an aftermarket exhaust but it is only an Axle-Back system.

The noise actually gets worse as the car warms up. While driving the noise is very noticeable during acceleration but not as bad at speed. On cold start the sound isn't apparent. My exhaust is very loud so it may be getting drowned out initially though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
That's a dealer service visit. Verify oil level, remove can.
Damn. I was planning on going to a car show on Sunday for the Northern California Wildfires and I'm guessing the service department is closed till Monday for Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Arugon; 11-21-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Arugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
SSDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arugon View Post
I do have an aftermarket exhaust but it is only an Axle-Back system.

The noise actually gets worse as the car warms up. While driving the noise is very noticeable during acceleration but not as bad at speed. On cold start the sound isn't apparent. My exhaust is very loud so it may be getting drowned out initially though.
My advice is to take it in as soon as you can. Until then drive it sparingly and don't romp on it.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yea I agree with Dan definitely sounds like lifter tick.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Arugon

Have arranged for a service visit first thing Monday. Will post again when GM figures out what is wrong.

The car is at about 9k miles now, any recommended routine service I should ask for while the car is there? Was considering getting the trans fluid flushed.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
keep us posted please

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
lifter tick or bent push rod.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #10
Arugon

Alright guys, Car is safe at home once again!

The issue turned out to be a stuck check valve on one of the fuel lines inside of the intake manifold. Their Camaro/Corvette guy said that a lot of 6th Gen Camaro's have been having this issue pop up lately; so much so that they have decided to start keeping the specific part in stock at all times at the dealership.

Bad news is that they had a 3rd party do an oil change for me and the idiots lifted the car improperly and bent the driver side fender. Going back Monday to take care of the fender and they are also going to be replacing my Trunk Shocks as well, service guy said he saw some oil leaking from them so he's gonna take care of it for me as well.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #11
SSDan

Thanks for reporting back - I was curious how this turned out. I'm glad to hear it was not something serious with the valve train. Many say that these high pressure direct injection systems make a lot of clicks and clacks that mimic metal on metal contact. Your car is proof of that. I had a lifter failure on a past car and it sounded very close to the video you posted. Thus the basis for my earlier input.

That is a bummer about the fender damage though! Good luck and I hope that is an easy repair too.

476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 11-29-2018, 04:21 PM   #12
Arugon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Thanks for reporting back - I was curious how this turned out. I'm glad to hear it was not something serious with the valve train. Many say that these high pressure direct injection systems make a lot of clicks and clacks that mimic metal on metal contact. Your car is proof of that. I had a lifter failure on a past car and it sounded very close to the video you posted. Thus the basis for my earlier input.

That is a bummer about the fender damage though! Good luck and I hope that is an easy repair too.
Sure thing, hope this helps someone else later down the road. I towed the car to the dealer because I was afraid of a valve train issue and causing more harm to the internals. In this case it wasn’t necessary.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 PM   #13
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Well glad to hear it was something much less serious. Aside from the fender issue, seems like you have a good dealer.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Thanks for the update

Happy motoring
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote