Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #15
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i was gonna get gm one then i heard u need to drop the tranny lol im good
Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I have the hurst with the pistol grip type handle. It is the best mod I've made. The trans does not have to be "dropped", it does have to be lowered in back a good amount, still not "dropped". Just saying.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 AM   #17
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i was gonna get gm one then i heard u need to drop the tranny lol im good
+1

It took me 20 minutes in my '01 SS to put an SLP shifter in because I just had to remove the center console and unbolt the shifter. I'm watching the install video like ...exhaust?... Drive Shaft?!?...TRANS?!?!? Yeah...no, I'm good!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 AM   #18
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
+1

It took me 20 minutes in my '01 SS to put an SLP shifter in because I just had to remove the center console and unbolt the shifter. I'm watching the install video like ...exhaust?... Drive Shaft?!?...TRANS?!?!? Yeah...no, I'm good!
It really is like anything else on the car. It sounds much worse than it is. Everything is that way lol.

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM   #19
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The install is not that bad and as stated above, it's not dropping the trans altogether, but rather lowering the rear of the trans by about 3" with a floor jack. I wouldn't let that discourage anyone from getting a Hurst shifter. It really is a solid improvement over the stock unit.

With that said, nothing beats the 4th gen shifter setup that's direct mounted with no linkage and very easy to install. It's too bad the engine/trans couldn't have been shifted back ~6" inches in the 6th gens to have a similar setup!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:46 PM   #20
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Ok, you guys talked me into putting this back in the " To Be Determined" folder!
Old 11-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
If you are looking for a big improvement in the shifter throw, then you are looking at the Hurst.

If you want to "fine-tune" the throw, the 1LE/GM Short throw shifter is what you're after.

I've read some people claim they feel zero difference between the stock SS and SS 1LE shifter. Maybe it's a lack of seat time back-to-back or just not actually paying attention, but when I went from my 2016 SS to my 2017 SS 1LE, the shifter is one of the first things I noticed being different (from a driver-interaction perspective).

Again, it's not "OMG! THIS THING IS SHORT!"-type of change. It's a, "hmm, the throws feel nicely shortened-up and engineered to sporty perfection!"-type of change.

Keep in mind, if you are at all sensitive to notchy shifting and/or un-familar with the fact that you typically cannot shift manual transmissions at the same shift speed, hot and cold, a short-throw shifter, at such a rate as the Hurst, is going to make matter worse for you.

As for installation, like said, the transmission just needs to basically have the cross-member un-bolted and the rear of the transmission lowered so that you can access the shifter base-to body fasteners and the fasteners at the top-rear of the transmission to remove the shift from the transmission. It is a simple, straight-forward process, but just takes a little time to do. Maybe not worth it if you are "happy enough" with whatever stock shifter you have. But if you really want significantly shorter shifts, for drag racing or the similar, it isn't a terrible process. Just make it a weekend garage-beer session of it.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote