Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-30-2018, 03:47 AM   #15
corsa636

Drives: Ford Focus
I have heard "rumors on the internet" that there is a new version of the torque converter?
(That hopefully finally sorts out the shudder issue...)

Do you Guys konw something about it?
(Part number oder vs. New)
corsa636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
My understanding is that it's the same converter the 2018's have.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #17
verdicaysen

Drives: 18' 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I was looking at getting a 2018 Camaro with 21k miles on it that has an a8. Should this keep me away from it?
verdicaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:05 PM   #18
FL Scooter

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdicaysen View Post
I was looking at getting a 2018 Camaro with 21k miles on it that has an a8. Should this keep me away from it?
I had a 2017 2SS and have a 2018 2SS and both have shuddered. I traded my 17 because they changed the TC and the night I drove it home the left bank catalytic converter and O2 senors went out. Setting up to be like my 1999 Camaro Z28. So the wife and decided on trying the 2018. Having the same TC issues. Coming up on 15K and waiting to see what GM has up their sleeve to fix the shudder once and for all. You could try it but drive it for about 50 miles and see if you notice any shudder no matter how slight, walk away. Hope this helps

Last edited by FL Scooter; 10-01-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: mispelled word.
FL Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #19
Rob99
I’m Magik a physco dog

Drives: '15 1LT/RS & '23 3LT/RS
thoughts on this

Iv had the flush done haven't put a lot of miles since to see if shudder comes back but am getting close to the end of 3/36, anyone have experience getting a second service done (another flush, TC replaced) after warranty expires, or do I need to purchase a ext warranty to protect myself?
TIA,Rob
2015 1LT Ashen Grey
2016 1LT Blue Velvet
My entire life has been 'A Midlife Crisis'

Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #20
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Well GM changed something alright.

My vehicle has been with the dealer waiting for the TC they received to be put in and the negative/ground cables replaced. This morning the dealer emails me to say that as of 10/08/18, GM is no longer covering claims to replace the TC on the 8L90 and that a different fix will be released sometime in 2019. Even though my car and the TC are both at the dealership, it will not be installed. They offered a 4th flush to evacuate the latest collection of metal floating in the fluid.

Would like to see if anyone else gets the same line from GM this month. It's pretty crap that they are telling people to just deal with it until 2019, when most people will be out of B2B warranty and may or may not have any powertrain coverage left by the time this "new fix" is released to service departments. Not happy.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
KingLT1

Just have written documentation proving that you took the car in during the warranty period, so that when the new fix is released it will still be covered. Aside from that, the powertrain warranty is 5yrs 60k miles, or 6yr 100k miles for CPO. So most Camaros from 2016 present should still have warranty remaining unless you drive it more then 12k miles a year.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #22
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post

My vehicle has been with the dealer waiting for the TC they received to be put in and the negative/ground cables replaced. This morning the dealer emails me to say that as of 10/08/18, GM is no longer covering claims to replace the TC on the 8L90 and that a different fix will be released sometime in 2019. Even though my car and the TC are both at the dealership, it will not be installed. They offered a 4th flush to evacuate the latest collection of metal floating in the fluid.

Would like to see if anyone else gets the same line from GM this month. It's pretty crap that they are telling people to just deal with it until 2019, when most people will be out of B2B warranty and may or may not have any powertrain coverage left by the time this "new fix" is released to service departments. Not happy.
If I were you, I'd be pissed too. You ( or I should say "we") have to wait for a fix while some of our cars shudder themselves to pieces? I don't know how bad your issue really is, but that sounds like pitiful customer service, if true. I'd ask the dealer for something in writing denoting the torque converter replacement TSB's and indicating they're no longer valid. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to sell your car private party, this issue would be a real thorn in your side. And what the heck does sometime in 2019 mean? I think the dealer owes you something a bit more definitive than that...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #23
FL Scooter

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Well that sucks badly! See a class action lawsuit in the near furture!
FL Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #24
KingLT1

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=154
Old 10-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Interesting...wonder what else is being done, so sounds like new torque converter, but one that is already being used. Wonder if that is the one with the riveted plate instead of the welded ones. I am really hoping GM gets their crap together soon, because this issue is really making this car not fun to drive anymore!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #26
Realcarfreak

Drives: 2017 Red SS Coupe
WTF JaxChris? Can't believe they ordered parts, took your car in for service then called the install off? I would not be happy either... Tell them you would rather drive a loaner ZL1 until they figure it out instead of the lame 4th flush offer

What is really interesting to me is that they ordered a ground cable for you. I have a 2007 escalade and the battery cables cause lots of strange issues due to poor or intermittent connections.

I have an appointment to have my 2017 1SS flushed tomorrow at a nearby dealer. The car has 28K miles and is shuttering very often

They do some good volume at this service center and I spoke with the service advisor yesterday about the process. He claims they do the flush and have not had any come back after. but if it does, they would do the torque converter change.
He also said I need to leave it because the process takes awhile since they have to let the car cool down after the flush to verify the proper trans fluid level.

I guess my journey begins too.
Realcarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
By the time the "new fix" is made available, there won't be much left of my 1st and reverse bands in the transmission. Unfortunately, I'm at 32k miles now and I don't think I can do less than 4k miles between now and "sometime" in '19. Wondering whether I should get the GM extended warranty plan now. Between the transmission and battery/electrical services it has faced, I'm not happy.

GM's final resolution better be pretty comprehensive and treat all owners as if it was still covered under B2B (loaner, wash, oil change, etc), regardless of their mileage or in-service date.

I think GM can make everyone's car whole and we'll fall in love with the total experience all over again if they can do the following:
Remove/disassemble/inspect gear pack
Clean gear pack and casing of debris
Replace worn clutches and bands (especially on the lower gears)
Reassemble gear pack, verify fit and clearances
Replace transmission filter
Replace torque converter (GM never rebuilds these, the new pendulum style could be nice)
Reflash TCM to remove lockup programming in 1st and reverse (cause of jerking at low speeds)
Reflash TCM to adjust slip tables (cause of shudder)
Extend powertrain coverage to 100k for repaired vehicles

Replacing entire transmissions is unnecessary and far more expensive than the above list of actions to address the problem. It's just a pisser that GM played this game for so long when even their idiot customers had the causes figured out for quite some time. Enough of the placebo's GM, time to cough up an actual resolution.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #28
Realcarfreak

Drives: 2017 Red SS Coupe
Quote:
By the time the "new fix" is made available, there won't be much left of my 1st and reverse bands in the transmission. Unfortunately, I'm at 32k miles now and I don't think I can do less than 4k miles between now and "sometime" in '19. Wondering whether I should get the GM extended warranty plan now. Between the transmission and battery/electrical services it has faced, I'm not happy.

GM's final resolution better be pretty comprehensive and treat all owners as if it was still covered under B2B (loaner, wash, oil change, etc), regardless of their mileage or in-service date.

I think GM can make everyone's car whole and we'll fall in love with the total experience all over again if they can do the following:
Remove/disassemble/inspect gear pack
Clean gear pack and casing of debris
Replace worn clutches and bands (especially on the lower gears)
Reassemble gear pack, verify fit and clearances
Replace transmission filter
Replace torque converter (GM never rebuilds these, the new pendulum style could be nice)
Reflash TCM to remove lockup programming in 1st and reverse (cause of jerking at low speeds)
Reflash TCM to adjust slip tables (cause of shudder)
Extend powertrain coverage to 100k for repaired vehicles

Replacing entire transmissions is unnecessary and far more expensive than the above list of actions to address the problem. It's just a pisser that GM played this game for so long when even their idiot customers had the causes figured out for quite some time. Enough of the placebo's GM, time to cough up an actual resolution.
JaxChris, are you within 24 months of taking vehicle delivery?
Here is why I ask: ~30 years ago, my father served on the Chrysler arbitration board as the independent mechanic for the state. The purpose of the board was to meet once a month in Orlando to review consumer cases where customers were not getting an agreeable resolution from the dealership. The board was able to review the case and recommend solutions that would range from no further action to replace parts under warranty, to give the customer a new car.

I did some searching and found that they still have similar programs here in Florida including a manufacturer sponsored program for General Motors. Here is a link to the Florida Attorney General page that describes the program and process: [URL="http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/7629400e4ef8a25285256cc9005c5a5b[/URL]

There is a statement on the page that reads "DO NOT DELAY! You must apply with the manufacturer-sponsored, state-certified program within 60 days after the expiration of the "Lemon Law rights period," which is 24 months from the date of delivery of your vehicle to you."

JaxChris, you are a good guy and it makes me mad when good guys get the runaround.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Realcarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote