Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-10-2018, 05:22 PM   #29
DJ127

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Let me translate AL speak for you guys.

You are stuck with the BOG, Rumor that the 18's getting different software was just BS, We only entertained Travis by putting a box in his car, We knew exactly what his car was doing before we even installed the recorder.

There is a weak link somewhere in the tranny-driveshaft-rearend. ( I'm not allowed to tell you what it is or I will lose my job).
Remember when we released actual 1/4 runs with the 5th gen ZL1? Yeah well, We have videos of the 6th gen ZL1 1/4 runs but we are ashamed to release them.

You will NEVER get a sub 2.0 0-60 so don't bother trying. The imaginary BOG is there on purpose. NEXT QUESTION!!
I appreciate Al taking the time to answer but this is the most complex “you’re shit out of luck” response I have ever seen. To be honest I have to give the camaro team HUGE credit for this issue. Whether it was intentional or not it is actually a GENIUS move by Chevy. Build the system to overly protect itself and limit the driver to save on warranty repair costs. Knowing most enthusiasts will do anything to get rid of this bogging/nanny BS by tuning which will then void their warranties and also save their warranty repair costs on those cars. Bravo Chevy, Well played!!!
DJ127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #30
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ127 View Post
I appreciate Al taking the time to answer but this is the most complex “you’re shit out of luck” response I have ever seen. To be honest I have to give the camaro team HUGE credit for this issue. Whether it was intentional or not it is actually a GENIUS move by Chevy. Build the system to overly protect itself and limit the driver to save on warranty repair costs. Knowing most enthusiasts will do anything to get rid of this bogging/nanny BS by tuning which will then void their warranties and also save their warranty repair costs on those cars. Bravo Chevy, Well played!!!
I agree with you that its a smart move by Chevy, but the issue i (and i think most people) have is that chevy advertises quarter mile times that are just impossible to achieve without voiding the warranty on the car. They want to have their cake and eat it too. Its fine of they want to limit drivers to protect driveline components to save on warranty work but that needs to be reflected in the times they advertise. Instead of just flat out lying to everyone about it.
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringtheory View Post
I agree with you that its a smart move by Chevy, but the issue i (and i think most people) have is that chevy advertises quarter mile times that are just impossible to achieve without voiding the warranty on the car. They want to have their cake and eat it too. Its fine of they want to limit drivers to protect driveline components to save on warranty work but that needs to be reflected in the times they advertise. Instead of just flat out lying to everyone about it.
Can you not hit their advertised times in your 1SS 1LE?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #32
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ127 View Post
Think it was around 2013, I told myself, I don't believe a word that AL.O says.
Felt that way ever since. This only cements my beliefs now.

That said....

It's too bad really, The Camaro Team ALMOST built the perfect ZL1 this time.
Only 2 gripes on the almost perfect car. The sound system and M6 bog issue.
I'm worried that this issue might effect the resale value on the M6...sucks
People may think I'm a little too harsh on AL, I say well, I have owned 3 new Camaros since 2010, I have that right!!

They almost had the perfect car....

See guys!! I give credit when credit is due...
Old 02-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
So time for Poll #4... of the questions out there what do you guys want to see?
Old 02-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #34
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I’d like to see the suspension question answered!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42 PM   #35
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Think it was around 2013, I told myself, I don't believe a word that AL.O says.
Felt that way ever since. This only cements my beliefs now.

That said....

It's too bad really, The Camaro Team ALMOST built the perfect ZL1 this time.
Only 2 gripes on the almost perfect car. The sound system and M6 bog issue.
I'm worried that this issue might effect the resale value on the M6...sucks
People may think I'm a little too harsh on AL, I say well, I have owned 3 new Camaros since 2010, I have that right!!

They almost had the perfect car....

See guys!! I give credit when credit is due...
OK, I'm going to think out loud on this one.

I'm thinking Al is a stand up guy.
I would love to hang out at the track with him and play cat and mouse until we've burned 100 gallons of fuel and corded our shoes. Hang out afterwards and sip some fine Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey and share some war stories. Then let our mama's drive us home (I'm blessed, mine can trailer a car or a boat). I'd be stoked on some precious life well spent.

That won't happen, but I'm confident that if any of us were able to do that, we would walk away understanding that it is not personal. It's just business.

Al is living the dream. What a gig! However, he still has to answer to corporate upper management, corporate upper level accountants and corporate upper level attorneys. Pretty much like the rest of us, at whatever level we are on the ladder. If you have worked for a living you get it. I'm almost positive that if it were up to him, that the Camaros we drive would be capable of apex levels of performance (specifically at launch) with all of the nannies off. He and his team are car guy like us, but they still have to pay the bills...like us. Family and kids and mortgages like us.

There are unfortunately way too many variables involved to allow the aforementioned corporate types let that happen. Variables you ask? Let me name just a few; inexperienced and immature kid with a rich daddy that has his own corporate lawyers, street racers, the drunk guy in his new ZL1 that killed his best friend in the passenger seat after an epic launch. On and on. In the litigious society that we live in, you had better believe that someone is gonna lawyer up against Al and Chevrolet and GM.

With that said, the all around performance levels of the G6 ZL1 are unparalleled in the modern pony wars. What we have at our disposal is unprecedented (USA made) in the modern sports car genre, especially when you consider the amount of dollars we spend to access this level of power and performance. When you consider the sh*t that was manufactured by the big three between 1973 and the last 10 years this becomes blatantly obvious. We are living in amazing times my friends.

Bottom line; I have invested way too much money in my ZLE to scatter my gear box or my motor or my diff all over the track/road by doing something irrational or stupid. As are most of us. I am experienced and mature and I don't have a rich daddy with a powerful lawyer in his back pocket. As are most of us. For the record, I am extremely proficient in the operation of a manual transmission. The learning curve here is abbreviated at best. I am extremely disappointed that there will not be a solution or a software flash to remedy the "bog".

On 12/10/17 I expressed these thoughts and asked these questions;

Quote:
It is understandable that Chevy legal is concerned that an inexperienced driver may create a scenario that may potentially damage or compromise the longevity of the powertrain. I personally am a big fan of warranties. I completely understand that there may be concerns about warranty claims that may be a result of insufficient TQ management.

However the ZL1 is a high performance car. Bog on launch seems to negate an aspect of that, and in some cases our ability to compete. Are those of us who are mature, experienced and capable enough to manage the power of this car being restricted by the weakest links in the chain? Perhaps so. I would hope that some middle ground might be found to keep Team Camaro, her legions of performance enthusiasts (both experienced and inexperienced) and GM legal happy.

Is (or has) a flash to modify existing TQ management algorithms being considered to address launch bog? I don't believe that we are looking for Chevy to compromise any trade secrets. Is there anything that we can do to keep the interaction between the ECM, the ELSD and the LT4 from becoming excessively restrictive on launch, while still protecting the integrity of our powertrains and (realistically) in some cases our lives and precious property?
The answer is; no there is no compromise...corporate upper management and attorneys and accountants always win. I get it...I'm good with that.

I'm also OK with Al and Team Camaro.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07 AM   #36
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
OK, I'm going to think out loud on this one.

I'm thinking Al is a stand up guy.
I would love to hang out at the track with him and play cat and mouse until we've burned 100 gallons of fuel and corded our shoes. Hang out afterwards and sip some fine Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey and share some war stories. Then let our mama's drive us home (I'm blessed, mine can trailer a car or a boat). I'd be stoked on some precious life well spent.

That won't happen, but I'm confident that if any of us were able to do that, we would walk away understanding that it is not personal. It's just business.

Al is living the dream. What a gig! However, he still has to answer to corporate upper management, corporate upper level accountants and corporate upper level attorneys. Pretty much like the rest of us, at whatever level we are on the ladder. If you have worked for a living you get it. I'm almost positive that if it were up to him, that the Camaros we drive would be capable of apex levels of performance (specifically at launch) with all of the nannies off. He and his team are car guy like us, but they still have to pay the bills...like us. Family and kids and mortgages like us.

There are unfortunately way too many variables involved to allow the aforementioned corporate types let that happen. Variables you ask? Let me name just a few; inexperienced and immature kid with a rich daddy that has his own corporate lawyers, street racers, the drunk guy in his new ZL1 that killed his best friend in the passenger seat after an epic launch. On and on. In the litigious society that we live in, you had better believe that someone is gonna lawyer up against Al and Chevrolet and GM.

With that said, the all around performance levels of the G6 ZL1 are unparalleled in the modern pony wars. What we have at our disposal is unprecedented (USA made) in the modern sports car genre, especially when you consider the amount of dollars we spend to access this level of power and performance. When you consider the sh*t that was manufactured by the big three between 1973 and the last 10 years this becomes blatantly obvious. We are living in amazing times my friends.

Bottom line; I have invested way too much money in my ZLE to scatter my gear box or my motor or my diff all over the track/road by doing something irrational or stupid. As are most of us. I am experienced and mature and I don't have a rich daddy with a powerful lawyer in his back pocket. As are most of us. For the record, I am extremely proficient in the operation of a manual transmission. The learning curve here is abbreviated at best. I am extremely disappointed that there will not be a solution or a software flash to remedy the "bog".

On 12/10/17 I expressed these thoughts and asked these questions;

The answer is; no there is no compromise...corporate upper management and attorneys and accountants always win. I get it...I'm good with that.

I'm also OK with Al and Team Camaro.
After reading the above....
End result is my old 2010 2ss M6, 2013 ZL1 M6 launched just fine.
My 2017 ZL1 M6 launch is broken!!
I'm supposed to be happy and write it off to GM politics and lawyers?

Fix the god damn software!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #37
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:

I feel you brother.

I agree with what you are saying. The response is disappointing.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Your experience makes me think that tire differences was a significant factor.

Norm
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #39
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So time for Poll #4... of the questions out there what do you guys want to see?
A8 shudder please

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #40
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Serious question and it may have been answered in one of the posts: Can't you just completely turn off TC and Stabiltrak for better clutch control of the launch? I know it's apples to oranges, but in the 5th gen ZL1, the launch control is way too intrusive even with stock hp and tires. On the street I need to slip the clutch for the best launch and 0-60, but at the track slipping it will just bog, so you have to side step the clutch (not dump it) and use the gas pedal to control it.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #41
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

Here's my take on AL's response:
  1. The ZL1 is a heavy car and its LT4 makes lots of low end torque
  2. We can't guarantee the skill level of every m6 owner so we had to build in safeguards
  3. We found sub 2.0 second 60 ft times and a warranty for track use don't mix.
  4. Learn to deal with it or trade-in your m6 in for an A10.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #42
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I’d like to see the suspension question answered!
Link? I didn't see this one unless it was #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
A8 shudder please
This one did get a lot of responses...