Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 10-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Not your normal PF64 vs M1-113 Oil Filter thread

OK so we all know the PF64 is the OEM filter for the 2016+ SS. We also know the PF48 and UPF48R OEM filters (from LS2/LS3/LS7) technically fit but are not the right filters.

We have also seen that some people claim you can use them if the PF64's are not available for whatever reason. This brings me to my next thought.

The Mobil1 M1-113 oil filter is the suggested filter by Mobil 1 for the LS2/LS3/LS7 and now the LT1/LT4. So I thought, why would GM specify a different filter but the aftermarkets not? Even PureOilater Gold filters recommend the same filter for the LSx and LTx motors.

I happen to have an extra M1-113 and a couple of PF64's. I can't see if there are any internal differences such as bypass valve pressure ratings, but when I look at the outside I wonder if there could be a big problem NOT using the PF64.

Specifically look at the size of the holes around the perimeter. Could the smaller and fewer amount of holes on the M1-113 cause any sort of issue? Such as less oil flow? Anyone have any thoughts?

M1-113 on top
PF64 on bottom
Attached Images

Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Dunno,my m113 worked fine for 9 months...changed to a FRAM...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Slem

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS (Auto) Loaded
In the two filters you show you can tell a difference in the amount of holes. I know not all filters are created equal and they perform differently and are matched to your engine for best operating performance in pressure as well as to properly lubricate. I can tell you this , I had a oil change done at mr lube with Mobil 1 and gm filter. On my drive home I noticed the oil pressure was acting different as well as a new ticking noise, I got under the car and looked at the oil filter to see they used a PF48E, I called them and gave them shit and they said it shows in there book it's cross referenced and ok to use, they ordered me the proper filter , once installed all was normal again.
Slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I know that a lot of people use and swear by various brands and types of oil filters, and that some have used "Filter X" for years in various cars. That's all well and good; it is your car, after all, to do with as you wish. No argument from me.

However, when it comes to me and my vehicles, the LAST thing I want to do is take any kind of chance with my oil and its filter; the lifeblood of my engine. I will stay with the stock OEM filter until some years have gone by and there is a track record of others being used.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
In those pictures, it looks like the Mobil 1 filter has a silicone anti-drainback valve and the OE filter has a Nitrile rubber. The silicone anti-drain back is good because it can withstand higher temperatures and for a longer period of time. Both have a Nitrile rubber sealing ring. The OE filter does look to have more intake holes and maybe slightly larger holes.

Some filters will have PTFE infused sealing rings or silicone sealing rings. This is nice, but not something I make a main decision maker.

I typically buy Wix, but sometimes I'll deviate to a Motocraft or Purolator. The first thing I look for is the silicone anti-drain back valve. Then, I look at the intake holes of the filter. I pick the one that has the silicon valve and the largest, best shaped or number of holes (the one that looks to have the least flow resistance).

Between that Mobil 1 and the OE, I'd chose the OE. But I am sure someone else makes one similar to the OE, but with a silicone anti-drain back and maybe even a silicone sealing ring. I forget what the Wix I have on car looks like in regards to the intake holes...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

I'm curious if the size and number of holes make a difference. It has to affect flow one way or another. If the oil pressure flows into the threaded part and then after the filtration comes back out via the holes in the perimeter, are the smaller holes enough to cause any problems? When I get home I'm going to take another look at them. Maybe there are more flow passages on the very rim of the inside as well. I did not happen to look a them but just noticed while checking the pictures.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I'm curious if the size and number of holes make a difference. It has to affect flow one way or another. If the oil, from the pump, flows into the threaded part and then after the filtration comes back out via the holes in the perimeter, are the smaller holes enough to cause any problems? When I get home I'm going to take another look at them. Maybe there are more flow passages on the very rim of the inside as well. I did not happen to look a them but just noticed while checking the pictures.
The actual flow is reverse of your thinking. Oil flows, from the pump, into the filter via the holes in the main base plate, through the filter, out the large middle hole, and then into the engine block.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
Just because the Filter screws onto the housing does not mean it is a good fit so to speak. You are correct in your thinking the amount of holes (flow) will definitely make a difference in restriction.
One thing I would not want is a restriction in my oil flow. That being said. Will using the Mobil filter necessarily harm your car? Maybe not today, or next month.... For the insurance ill choose the recommended filter.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #9
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I have been using those Mobil 1 filters for years now. When I changed the oil for the first time on my '16 SS, I used one. My 2005 Chevy Silverado has been getting one for the past years when I change the oil in it and my Gen 5 2010 LS3 got one every time I did an oil change to it. I haven't had a single problem with the Mobil 1 filters yet and I will keep using them as long as they are made. The Delco filter I took off of my '16 just didn't seem to have the same level of quality as the Mobil 1 does. I did put Valvoline synthetic 5W30 in the '16 when I changed it 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
The actual flow is reverse of your thinking. Oil flows, from the pump, into the filter via the holes in the main base plate, through the filter, out the large middle hole, and then into the engine block.
This is where my thoughts make me think there is less flow volume due to the smaller amount of holes in the Mobil1 filter. But is it enough to make a difference or to be a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
I have been using those Mobil 1 filters for years now. When I changed the oil for the first time on my '16 SS, I used one. My 2005 Chevy Silverado has been getting one for the past years when I change the oil in it and my Gen 5 2010 LS3 got one every time I did an oil change to it. I haven't had a single problem with the Mobil 1 filters yet and I will keep using them as long as they are made. The Delco filter I took off of my '16 just didn't seem to have the same level of quality as the Mobil 1 does. I did put Valvoline synthetic 5W30 in the '16 when I changed it 3 weeks ago.

I stuck with the PF64 for now. Still have a mobil 1 laying around though.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE

Last edited by Rnovrit; 11-04-2018 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Old thread boo boo.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:18 AM   #12
SuperSnake1972

Drives: 2020 chevrolet camaro 2SS
oil filters

I just changed my oil and used the mobile 1 M1-113a filter and my next oil change will be the same which will us up my stock of oil filters. After that it's wix xp oil filters for me.
SuperSnake1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 08:19 PM   #13
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
I can't really understand why people would not use the OEM. Price wise, they are all really cheap. Obviously GM didn't select the filter based on price, and its consumable anyway. My guess is they selected it on providing the best protection to the engine they could adopt, to minimise failures and warranty claims.

Not a single one of the filter companies has done the same R&D as GM did when developing this engine, and deciding on the filter choice. ** Now if you're highly modified, sure, go for it. You've potentially moved off the engineering of the OEM engine.
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote