Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Are we positive the GM CAI isn't made for the 18 V6 yet? I really want to give it shot since it doesn't effect the warranty
Best bet would be to contact your dealer. However, I would caution you to make sure that the dealer contacts tech support, or whoever actually knows, to verify whether or not GM ever released the re-flash for the 2018 V6.

I know it was a massive cluster when I bought and installed mine, only to be told by the dealer that GM had not released the Re-flash for the 2018 V6. The dealer finally contacted someone, and was told that they did not have a date for release, nor could they tell the dealer if it would ever be released. I chose to remove the GM CAI and return it, as I saw no use in causing myself headaches with CELs, due to the lack of availability of the Re-flash.

If they could have even given me a time frame for the re-flash to be released, I would most likely have held onto the CAI, as I'd have preferred to keep everything GM, so I wouldn't risk any warranty concerns.

It sounds like plenty of other members are having great luck with other aftermarket CAIs, so there are other options, if you don't feel like waiting for GM to pull their heads out of their butts.
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I'm waiting for a phone call from GM with more information on this. The complication with the 18 is its different OS.
Attached Images

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker75 View Post
Best bet would be to contact your dealer. However, I would caution you to make sure that the dealer contacts tech support, or whoever actually knows, to verify whether or not GM ever released the re-flash for the 2018 V6.

I know it was a massive cluster when I bought and installed mine, only to be told by the dealer that GM had not released the Re-flash for the 2018 V6. The dealer finally contacted someone, and was told that they did not have a date for release, nor could they tell the dealer if it would ever be released. I chose to remove the GM CAI and return it, as I saw no use in causing myself headaches with CELs, due to the lack of availability of the Re-flash.

If they could have even given me a time frame for the re-flash to be released, I would most likely have held onto the CAI, as I'd have preferred to keep everything GM, so I wouldn't risk any warranty concerns.

It sounds like plenty of other members are having great luck with other aftermarket CAIs, so there are other options, if you don't feel like waiting for GM to pull their heads out of their butts.
Yeah your experience sounds like a real pita. All over a damn CAI of all things lol. I actually talked to my dealer about this the other day. Of course they had no idea about this or any helpful info to give. All they said was that I should call GM directly to find out. They said if the CAI does in fact come with the reflash for my car, that they would need to do the install for my warranty to be 100% in tack. I'm gonna call GM here soon and find out
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #18
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I'm waiting for a phone call from GM with more information on this. The complication with the 18 is its different OS.
Which department did you contact if I may ask?
Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #19
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Which department did you contact if I may ask?
GM SPAC

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #20
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

I will have an update in 48 hours with the next step on this.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #21
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I will have an update in 48 hours with the next step on this.
Good deal. I'm gonna wait and see what they say to you first. Definitely keep us posted please
Old 12-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

So this is from engineering:
The CAI kit for the 2018V6 has not been set up for service at this time, nor is there any indication that it will be anytime in the near future.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 12-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #23
HCI2000SS

Well this sucks. Just another GM failure apparently.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #24
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Booooo. I guess GM decided to follow Roto-fab's lead and give the big old finger to the V6 crowd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #25
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The CAI's just bolt into the stock inputs and outputs. All you're getting is a snazzier looking air box and a filter with hopefully more surface area to make up for the different filter media that tends to clog up faster than paper (freeer flowing).

Most of the benefit can be had by just dropping in a K&N or similar drop-in filter. However the other boxes that have been made for the V6 offer cone filters ...which tend to have more surface area than the drop-in.

The main difference is you end up having to clean the drop-in more often than you would the cone to maintain the same air flow rate. That's it. It's sucking air from the same snorkel and the air bridge is basically the same (since the air box and TB positions are the same as stock and the diameter is kept the same so no tune would be needed).

So dont feel too bad. You're not really missing out on much.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #26
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The CAI's just bolt into the stock inputs and outputs. All you're getting is a snazzier looking air box and a filter with hopefully more surface area to make up for the different filter media that tends to clog up faster than paper (freeer flowing).

Most of the benefit can be had by just dropping in a K&N or similar drop-in filter. However the other boxes that have been made for the V6 offer cone filters ...which tend to have more surface area than the drop-in.

The main difference is you end up having to clean the drop-in more often than you would the cone to maintain the same air flow rate. That's it. It's sucking air from the same snorkel and the air bridge is basically the same (since the air box and TB positions are the same as stock and the diameter is kept the same so no tune would be needed).

So dont feel too bad. You're not really missing out on much.
This^

I have yet to see the I4 or V6 stock air intake's become a power restriction with full bolt-ons.

The GM calibration would have been nice, but a full tune would be better.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 12-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #27
Cristios

Drives: 2017 2lt 1le
0-60 pre and post GM Perf CAI (w/ tune)

Pre: 0-60 5.7, 5.9

Source: Dynolicious app

Ran two runs on a rural road outside. Started at exactly the same point and launches at about 2200rpm. Outside temperature was 39 when I ran the 5.7 prior to installation and 45 when I ran the 5.4.

Subjectively there is a deeper growl post tune and I feel like there is notably more pull below 4000rpm.

Dynolicious suggested a gain of 4hp and 19pf.
Cristios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:20 PM   #28
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristios View Post
Pre: 0-60 5.7, 5.9

Source: Dynolicious app

Ran two runs on a rural road outside. Started at exactly the same point and launches at about 2200rpm. Outside temperature was 39 when I ran the 5.7 prior to installation and 45 when I ran the 5.4.

Subjectively there is a deeper growl post tune and I feel like there is notably more pull below 4000rpm.

Dynolicious suggested a gain of 4hp and 19pf.

How accurate is the Dynolicious app in general? You ran that app for both the before and after?