#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 07-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Drives: M1SS1LE
Camaro SS 1LE Spoiler

Can somebody let me know what Adhesive I will need to use to Stick the SS 1LE Spoiler end Pieces?...the dealer din't stick those and wasn't sure what adhesive to use to stick them tight.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
ANy double sided tape should work perfectly fine like 3M. Clean the paint with alcohol pad.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
the end pieces should have the double sided 3M tape attached, peel and stick. Can't remember if there is an alignment/gap tool or template in the plastic bag the end pieces came in.

Last edited by nancygrl; 07-13-2020 at 12:19 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
the end pieces should have the double sided 3M tape attached, peel and stick. Can't remember if there is an alignment/gap tool or template in the plastic bag the end pieces came in.
I think mine came with an alignment guide.... worked out fine.

Also look for orange spacers in your front springs. My dealership also left those in... they keep the fender gap to like 4” and after your remove them it drops to like 2”ish. Also doesn’t make funny sounds going over speed bumps anymore lol.
Attached Images

evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
DC5

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Yes, GM provides a spacer for the installation of the spoiler extensions.
DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham001 View Post
Can somebody let me know what Adhesive I will need to use to Stick the SS 1LE Spoiler end Pieces?...the dealer din't stick those and wasn't sure what adhesive to use to stick them tight.

Thanks.
Hey Sham,

As it turns out, my pack-rat tendencies may help here. I have the GM instructions for applying the spoiler end-caps, which include the part numbers for the adhesive promoter: 3M 4298UV; and the adhesive itself: DOW Betaseal U400 HV. The spacers included in the kit are 6mm foam spacers to ensure proper gapping.

Let me know if you'd like the instructions scanned and I can either post them or send them to you directly.

JD
Attached Images

JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
IH8WNTR

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
Hey Sham,

As it turns out, my pack-rat tendencies may help here. I have the GM instructions for applying the spoiler end-caps, which include the part numbers for the adhesive promoter: 3M 4298UV; and the adhesive itself: DOW Betaseal U400 HV. The spacers included in the kit are 6mm foam spacers to ensure proper gapping.

Let me know if you'd like the instructions scanned and I can either post them or send them to you directly.

JD
Is there a part number to order this kit? My end pieces were installed by the dealer but one of them is starting to lift off.
IH8WNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
There are a number of different 3M tapes that would likely work just as well as the one mentioned above that it should have come with. Basically, you would be looking for one of a few different VHB tapes that they make. I just installed my rocker side skirts with TAPE ONLY and used the 4229P tape and they're solid.

There are some really key steps in applying the tape:

1) The side that has the red 3M protector goes towards the paint, NOT the item you are attaching. Seems obvious to many, but it's important to get this right so that the correct adhesive is attaching to each part correctly.

2) For the item being attached, be sure that it's completely clean. In the case of plastic type materials, consider scuffing it with a ScotchBrite pad and then wiping it down with IPA before applying the tape.

3) Once the tape is applied to the part, be sure to press the tape "into" (onto, really) the part with at least 15psi of pressure. This is necessary to ensure that the adhesive contacts the part and forms a solid bond with it.

4) To prepare the painted surface, consider washing with something like Dawn to remove oils and wax, dry thoroughly, then wipe down with IPA. Apply pressure after attaching the part, but you don't necessarily have to press as hard as when applying the tape to the part itself.

5) Heat works as an adhesion promoter. At regular ambient temperatures, it can 48 hours or longer for the tape to reach its full adhesion strength. If you warm the area with a hair dryer and apply pressure while doing so, it can speed up this process. Don't wash the surrounding area or get it wet in any way for at least 24 hours, longer if possible, to achieve the strongest adhesion.

There are a bunch of YT videos from 3M talking about tips and tricks, too, that might help you in getting those pieces stuck on for good.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
i used 3M VHB tape with adhesive promoter for the winglets. They been holding for at least a month, and a track night at Pocono reaching 140+mph on the longest straight.
Hops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #10
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8WNTR View Post
Is there a part number to order this kit? My end pieces were installed by the dealer but one of them is starting to lift off.
Sorry, but no. There was no part number or numbers listed for the spoiler itself.

JD
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote