Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-26-2023, 06:12 AM   #1
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
CONVERTIBLE COCKPIT COVER

Any knowledge of a company that makes a soft, flannel type material cover for just the "cockpit" of a Camaro 6 Vert ?
Just something to toss over the open interior that grabs the windshield while the top is down.
This would while garaged, so it doesn't need to be secured.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
I seem to recall a similar thread some time ago, with little in the way of results. But if you're only doing it inside your garage, does it not seem like it could be done with a big, soft cloth, like a bedsheet, just tucked behind the rear seat "headrests", and then perhaps clipped to the sun visors?

Other issue, though, if I'm imagining this correctly, is that do you leave the car parked in your garage with the top down all the time? I thought I read that that is not recommended.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:09 PM   #3
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
I seem to recall a similar thread some time ago, with little in the way of results. But if you're only doing it inside your garage, does it not seem like it could be done with a big, soft cloth, like a bedsheet, just tucked behind the rear seat "headrests", and then perhaps clipped to the sun visors?

Other issue, though, if I'm imagining this correctly, is that do you leave the car parked in your garage with the top down all the time? I thought I read that that is not recommended.
Would love to have some insight as to why its not recommended to have your vert parked in the garage with top down. I only like to drive my vert with the top down and opening/closing the top makes zero sense while parked indoors.
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:10 PM   #4
Kevin0311

Drives: Chevy ss sedan, 22 ZL1 vert
Lines or creases in the top, my solstice vert had them seems from having top folded for long periods of time caused from the solstice fourms
Kevin0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:47 AM   #5
The Chief (tm)

xquisit, I hear U on wanting to run with the top down as much as possible! But as Kevin says, the fabric can get creased more than is ideal.

Also, there are effects on the rubber strips that run along the bottom, outside edges of the top.

Especially at (a) the first "break point" maybe a foot and a half from the windshield header, and (b) also down near the rear-most "point" of the three-quarter windows. At these spots, that rubber seal is folded, from being (a) straight, and (b) a gentle curve, when the top is up, backwards and down into a ninety-degree angle. And that's how they sit for as long as the top is down.

Now, I already use that "Gummi Stift" seal treatment to keep the rubber soft and fresh, but I still wouldn't want those seals sitting stretched at a ninety-degree bend for any longer than they'd otherwise have to be. One little imperfection in the rubber, and they'd eventually tear themselves open, and there goes your weather sealing.

YMMV of course but that's how I'd treat it.
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 05-31-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
Good info Chief and Kevin. My rationale for keeping it down was less opening/closing which would cause less failure but never did think about the creasing and rubber strip being folded.
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:42 PM   #7
The Chief (tm)

Xq,

Yeah, well, you're certainly not wrong, especially when you consider that it would have to cost a lot more to repair broken moving parts & hardware, than to fix / re-attach / do whatever to some strips of rubber. Though I'm guessing one would almost *have* to buy the OEM strips, and they might be a pain in the neck to re-attach.

BTW I just realized something: when I wrote that the strip (at each "pinch point") gets bent back into a "ninety degree angle", I was incorrect: I meant to say that it gets folded ALL THE WAY BACK upon itself, as if taking a sheet of paper and folding it in half. That can't be a good position to sit in for the "long-term"...

Probs eventually darned if you do, darned if you don't!
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 06-01-2023, 07:17 AM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
The manual does advise to not leave the top down for longer periods of storage. As mentioned, remaining in the folded / stowed position for long periods of time can impact the look of the material, could potentially prematurely weaken the top material along the fold lines, and can reduce the sealing ability of the rubber weather strips if left folded for long periods of time.
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #9
NovaSS4spdFan

Drives: 2024 2SS vert w/M6 & Dual Mode. Red
Good info, thanks all.
NovaSS4spdFan is offline   Reply With Quote