Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Thinking my clutch is going?

Ok, so I've had plenty of manual cars, but I always traded them before I needed a clutch.

The engagement point is nearly at the top of the pedal, no slipping yet. this is recent and I really noticed it after the dealer replaced my rear brakes. I know the clutch and brake system share the same fluid, etc...not sure if that points to anything. Only have 48k on the clock

So if it seems to be the clutch...what do you guys suggest? I like the stock feel, firm but not stiff enough to give me a workout. I have no plans at the moment for increasing HP and would like to keep my stock warranty.

Thanks
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
My car has 38k on it. My engagement point is definitely higher than it was when I first got it. You can always wait until it starts to slip to get a new one. If you like the stock clutch then that is your best option for a replacement.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
My car has 38k on it. My engagement point is definitely higher than it was when I first got it. You can always wait until it starts to slip to get a new one. If you like the stock clutch then that is your best option for a replacement.

Kids got you up early this morning lol.

How's the car been running?
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
edgehead2000
2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0T

Drives: Nemesis
You said they changed your brakes? Did they happen to also bleed them thoroughly inside and outside of calipers?

Same thing happened to me so I bled them myself and voila, my clutch was firm and back to normal. I don't think they knew about the interior bleeders.

I'm a 57k miles and the clutch is still good.
edgehead2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
If you find out the clutch is the problem as the engagement would be lower if there is air in the system and you decide to replace it, take a look a look at our Level 1 clutch which will hold more power than a LS7 yet only increase pedal effort 8%. Are you the original owner of the car? Clutch life is the same as brakes or tires, it really depends on the driver. If you have any questions don't hesitate, Chris 817-750-2000
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Ucantctchme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
Kids got you up early this morning lol.

How's the car been running?
Car is running great, thanks. The kids are kickin' ass in every sense. I've learned to go to bed early because once 4am hits there is nothing I can do to keep them sleeping. Congrats on the new car purchase!

To the op: my concern for your car and clutch replacement is longevity. I will be in the market for a clutch in about a year. I understand that there is no "free lunch" and I love my stock clutch when I'm driving to and from work every day but want to set the car on fire whenever the clutch pedal sticks to.the floor at the track. I figure my stock clutch will get me to 50-60kmiles. I'd be happy with a performance clutch that lasted 25k miles. The clutch company's don't really seem to get into longevity due to many variables in driving. I am an auto guy and this is my first manual trans car. I'm also a tech and have replaced many stage3-5 type clutches of varying brands after the customer has killed it with street driving after 8-10k miles. At my dealership we will install what you bring us or will gladly install an ls7 or stock clutch.
Vararam, XS Power longtubes and exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers, 1LE gears, Vengeance Racing spec'd comp cam with all supporting valvetrain upgrades, Melling Pump. QTP cutouts. 480rwhp.http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h179/ucantctchme/d5c3102c.jpg
Old 09-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Ive noticed with 30000 kms on my car that my clutch as seems to be slipping. It burns and stinks a lot, but It will hold the car on a hill. What concerns me is that if I try to do a burn out and pop the clutch, the tires will burn but so does the clutch....it really stinks.....not sure why this is happening.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Ucantctchme

I'd replace clutch, slave/actuator and the flywheel.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by meSSohappy View Post
Ive noticed with 30000 kms on my car that my clutch as seems to be slipping. It burns and stinks a lot, but It will hold the car on a hill. What concerns me is that if I try to do a burn out and pop the clutch, the tires will burn but so does the clutch....it really stinks.....not sure why this is happening.
How much power are you making?
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
SmokiNstripes6913

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
Are your rpms increasing even though your speed is staying the same while on the throttle?
SmokiNstripes6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
meSSohappy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Making 420 rwhp and rpms and speed are proportional to each other. I am confused by this as I don't ride it and I don't do burn outs very often....sure I have smoked it once or twice in stop and go city traffic on steep hills, but it is not a habit. Was playing with 2 other cars on the weekend that are evenly matched and we all performed the same. My clutch is at the top of the pedal and always has been...which is where I like it.
DAVENPORT STAGE 2 PLUS - 2" ARH ceramic coated headers - 3" ARH catless exhaust - Stock NPP mufflers - Kong ported SC - Katech 103 ported TB - Rotofab 5" Big gulp CAI - 22.5% lower pulley - ATI Harmonic balancer - Cordes SC expansion tank - MSD hi temp ignition wires - Koolsox spark plug insulators - custom tunes - 660hp/725tq pump - 713hp/763tq race

meSSohappy is offline   Reply With Quote