Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have 285's on mine now, it is not so much the width as the increase in weight from the larger tire. I have gone from 245-275-285. My 285 combo is lighter than my original 275 setup(Pirellis on a stock 20x9 5 spoke wheel). No issues with turning.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I have run 305/30/19s on the 5th Gen since 2009. There should be no issue with steering effort. No ne. Geez, I have an 11 on 325/30/19s with no issues.

Check your belt, change the fluid and see how it feels.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The 1LE option on the SS comes with 285's also.
My point is they were designed for the wider tires . I'm guessing with out knowing much about the 1LE that is was designed for the wider tires also . If not I'm wrong .
Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
JusticePete

The steering rack is the same in a 1LE as it is in an SS. There is NO reason for the wheels and tires to cause a heavy feel.

There is some other issue. PS pump, rack, low idle, slipping belt...
Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 PM   #19
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The steering rack is the same in a 1LE as it is in an SS. There is NO reason for the wheels and tires to cause a heavy feel.

There is some other issue. PS pump, rack, low idle, slipping belt...
Do the SS , 1LE, ZL1 and the Z28 have the same alignment settings? I have a feeling that may be where the difference is . Think some one else mentioned this .

Different tire widths and tire compounds are going to feel different . I hate the feel of snows tires on my car compared to the BF Goodrich tires . Going from a narrower tire to a wider softer tire is going to be noticeable to some . More friction .
Old 06-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE View Post
Could be air in the PS line?
How would there be air in the power steering line? No repairs were done.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Do the SS , 1LE, ZL1 and the Z28 have the same alignment settings? I have a feeling that may be where the difference is . Think some one else mentioned this .

Different tire widths and tire compounds are going to feel different . I hate the feel of snows tires on my car compared to the BF Goodrich tires . Going from a narrower tire to a wider softer tire is going to be noticeable to some . More friction .
There is a difference, depending on the suspension package the Camaro list several FE versions when aligning. Since the 1LE suspension came out after the ZL1 I am running FE6.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithson68 View Post
I now have 275's on the front and at idle speeds or while at very slow speeds such as in parking lots or driveways it is hard to steer. Feels like the power steering is having a hard time until the engine RPM is raised. I do not recall having this problem with the 245's. Any ideas? Is there a smaller pulley for the pump so it will run faster at idle?

2010 SS/RS

Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
My point is they were designed for the wider tires . I'm guessing with out knowing much about the 1LE that is was designed for the wider tires also . If not I'm wrong .
Quote:

The steering rack in a SS, 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 are all the same by model year. The factory alignment specs are similar. The problem is NOT in the tire size or alignment.

The OP has a problem with the PS system. The low engine idle, belt is slipping, the pump is going bad, the rack is going bad, low fluid, filthy dirty fluid (a real stretch)... The OP needs to trouble shoot the PS system.

FYI -- air if the PS lines cause a shudder

And after all this discussion, where is the OP
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #23
BlueStreakHouTX

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithson68 View Post
I now have 275's on the front and at idle speeds or while at very slow speeds such as in parking lots or driveways it is hard to steer. Feels like the power steering is having a hard time until the engine RPM is raised. I do not recall having this problem with the 245's. Any ideas? Is there a smaller pulley for the pump so it will run faster at idle?

2010 SS/RS

Any help would be appreciated.
2012 2SS here, with 12.5K miles, put 10" wide F41s with 285s on front about a year ago, and no noticeable change in steering wheel feel... other than now being able to change lanes instantly with just one twitch of the wheel
BlueStreakHouTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard to turn, larger tires, steering