Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
'11 BadaSS/RS

Drives: all over the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
hey dude, find some who wants to trade with you, I'm sure there are plenty with 2012's who will decide they like the old wheel better..... maybe get the dealership to do the whole swap on both cars since you'll be saving a boat load of money anyway not having to buy anything,

but first make sure it's even possible,

They may have added buttons in 2012 and then ofcourse it may totally not work. so First check pictures to see if any of the buttons changed between years,

if the buttons are exactly the same and they didnt add any airbags between the years I dont understand why it wold need reprogrammed, all airbags shoudl pretty much work the same right?

And let us know what you find because we like to have this kind of stuff on record.
This is what I was thinking about today at work. Planning on posting it today.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
'11 BadaSS/RS

Drives: all over the road...
Just so anyone else wanting to do this swap will know. I installed a 2012 airbag and 1le steering wheel in my 2011 2ss and didn't have to have anything reprogrammed or any codes cleared. Everything was plug and play. I event spoke to a few dealers and accident repair shops and all said unless you replace the airbag control module no programming is required.

Thanks for everyone's help and I hope this helps anyone looking to do this swap. Oh special thanks to 2ssrs for the great 2013 1LE steering wheel.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Casper954

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Airbag needs to be programmed.
on different thread you said it didnt need to e programmed and her you said it does. just curious which is the right answer

Appearance: Blacked out tail lights, Oracle Plasma fogs, SLP Carbon Fiber splitter, Carbon Fiber Hash Marks, Carbon Fiber ZL1 hood, 20" Giovanna Kilis rims, Eibach lowering springs

Performance: Straight-piped magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake
Casper954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper954 View Post
on different thread you said it didnt need to e programmed and her you said it does. just curious which is the right answer
The right answer is that it is plug and play. No programming needed. I did the swap myself in 20 minutes. Would be less now that I know how to remove the wheel.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
No programing, no settings of codes, plug and play
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #20
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper954 View Post
If the airbag light goes off then it needs to be cleared by a dealer. That's all I meant. It is plug and play though. So if you start the car after swapping steering wheels and no airbag light goes off, you're good to go.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
I want to change the bezel in my steering wheel with a carbon fiber. I've done 90% of the work on my car. But I'm not ashamed to admit it terrified me of the Air Bag going off. I've read at least 5 different way to do this. And am still not sure. Any body have a 100% save procedure on this except taking it to dealer. Please feel free to post comment. By the way I have a 2011 1SS/RS.

Last edited by BLU DUCE; 12-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
BLU DUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #22
HeavyChevySSRS

Drives: 2010 SSRS
Wow this helped a lot. I was totally looking to do a wheel swap to the newer style and now I know I can
Thanks guys. Also, anyone wanna trade a 10 wheel for a 12 ��

10' ls3 2SS/RS, gfx pkg, stainless headers, 3" stainless exhaust, rotofab cai, custom stage 3 cam, 4:11 gears, wall tuned

HeavyChevySSRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering, steering wheel, swap, wheel