Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Need advice on clutch vs OEM based on price

Dealer quoted me 1700 for OEM clutch/labor. Said parts and labor where 50/50

Not looking for anything outrageous, but can I get an aftermarket clutch that is better than OEM for that or better price? I'm not looking to add much power over stock, might do exhaust and a tune in the future but that's about it.

Thanks
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
You can get a good single for $500.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
I wish you were closer to us! I'll shoot you a pm as we're not allowed to discuss pricing publicly.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

I replied to your pm, let me know!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Thanks for the pm, I look forward to your call Monday, you can't go wrong with the LT1-S unit from us!

Have a safe weekend!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Another happy LT1-S customer - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post7249270
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
badkarma

Thanks for all your help Steve, hopefully I can get it installed before the end of the year. Will report back then. I'm sure I'll love it.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma View Post
Thanks for all your help Steve, hopefully I can get it installed before the end of the year. Will report back then. I'm sure I'll love it.
Not a problem at all!
Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Just an FYI -

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post7274523

Also, see post #10 in that thread that gives you insight on rebuilds for these units.

BY FAR the best deal out there, period!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
badkarma

Well, got it put in yesterday along with some redline fluid. Keep in mind I've only owned cars with stock single disc clutches (04 WRX and 04 GTO). First impressions are the pedal feels exactly like stock, take offs are killing me though, not smooth at all but that's probably between my muscle memory and it not broken in yet. Subsequent up shifts are smooth as butta and I can really tell a difference in the shifter feel...I'm lovin the redline fluid so far. It also seems to rev a bit faster but that could be my imagination.

Now the part that kinda ticks me off. The reason I was looking for a new clutch was the stock engagement point was getting up to the top of the pedal and everyone told me that the clutch was on it's way out...even the dealer who drove it themselves. Well the installer actually gave me back my clutch....I said why?....he said it had plenty of miles on left on it and didn't want to just chunk it. Hopefully the new one will put enough grins on my face to forget about that.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well, got it put in yesterday along with some redline fluid. Keep in mind I've only owned cars with stock single disc clutches (04 WRX and 04 GTO). First impressions are the pedal feels exactly like stock, take offs are killing me though, not smooth at all but that's probably between my muscle memory and it not broken in yet. Subsequent up shifts are smooth as butta and I can really tell a difference in the shifter feel...I'm lovin the redline fluid so far. It also seems to rev a bit faster but that could be my imagination.

Now the part that kinda ticks me off. The reason I was looking for a new clutch was the stock engagement point was getting up to the top of the pedal and everyone told me that the clutch was on it's way out...even the dealer who drove it themselves. Well the installer actually gave me back my clutch....I said why?....he said it had plenty of miles on left on it and didn't want to just chunk it. Hopefully the new one will put enough grins on my face to forget about that.
When you say not smooth what do you mean?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
badkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch View Post
When you say not smooth what do you mean?
Best word I can think of is jerky..I'm used to slipping it a bit more. But like I said, it's probably me. When I was 17 I broke my back and lost a bit of feeling below my knees. I rely heavily on muscle memory, so when the clutch feel changes the slightest, I am very aware of it. I took it out for a long drive today and it (and me) is smoothing out. I'm enjoying quite a lot , it feels a lot more "hooked up" and responsive than stock.

BTW, the guy who installed it actually works with a few NASCAR teams on their transmissions and he said it looked like a really nice solid kit.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #13
STSL
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ZR1 Camaro
Quote:

Maybe some grease on the unit ? A twin should be very very smooth
and with that being a stock clutch it should be perfect..Also there would be no break in with a stock clutch so it shouldn't get better .Hopefully it had a little something on it and it will burn off and give you that smooth driving your after.
STSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Best word I can think of is jerky..I'm used to slipping it a bit more. But like I said, it's probably me. When I was 17 I broke my back and lost a bit of feeling below my knees. I rely heavily on muscle memory, so when the clutch feel changes the slightest, I am very aware of it. I took it out for a long drive today and it (and me) is smoothing out. I'm enjoying quite a lot , it feels a lot more "hooked up" and responsive than stock.

BTW, the guy who installed it actually works with a few NASCAR teams on their transmissions and he said it looked like a really nice solid kit.
That makes sense, you had me worried for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSL View Post
Maybe some grease on the unit ? A twin should be very very smooth
and with that being a stock clutch it should be perfect..Also there would be no break in with a stock clutch so it shouldn't get better .Hopefully it had a little something on it and it will burn off and give you that smooth driving your after.
It's different in a sense of point of engagement and the way it engages. The clutch itself is smooth.