Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
Fiyero88

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro 1LT
Exclamation IOB Radio SS Cluster Upgrade No Steering Wheel Controls

I'm probably beating a dead horse with this but, I just upgraded my standard cluster with the enhanced cluster. I had the 7" IOB Radio but I took that out and installed a 10" Android Radio. Before I installed the enhanced cluster the new Android radio would turn the channels and turn the volume up and down which was great because I had to remove the entire hmi box to install the android radio.

So I thought we'll since it works and it has no HMI box certainly the steering wheel controls would still work with the Enhanced Cluster Upgrade but NOPE.

Something must talk between the cluster and the steering wheel controls and must not have anything to do with the radio or HMI box. Has anyone found a work around? My android radio has wires for steering wheel control(it has key 1 and Key 2) but Camaros as far as I know have no steering wheel wires.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has had any success in getting the sterling wheel controls back. You also lose the onstar controls when installing the new cluster which I also find weird since onstar has its own separate HMI control module....
Attached Images

Fiyero88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Your best bet would be talking to Chris at WhiteAutomotive & Media Services. If you didn’t know they offer programming and probably the most knowledgeable for this
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
Fiyero88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Your best bet would be talking to Chris at WhiteAutomotive & Media Services. If you didn’t know they offer programming and probably the most knowledgeable for this
I tried and he said it has something to do with MOST but I just don't understand what the steering wheel has to do with the gauge cluster. Also why do the up down left right buttons work as well as the enter button and cruise control but the volume and track buttons don't work it's just bizarre to me.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

I believe the issue was the cars with 7” screens don’t have the capability in their dash wiring harness, probably why when a car with the 8” screen does the swap it still has to get a Gen5DIY cable to have everything work

Old 09-13-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
Fiyero88

Again that's weird to me because the volume control and track skip buttons work fine with the downgraded instrument cluster panel on my aftermarket android radio but I installed the upgraded one and now those buttons the steering wheel don't work. Im trying to understand why the steering wheel controls worked fine but now don't because I updated the cluster which shouldn't have anything to do with the radio or steering wheel controls. It also doesn't explain why all the other buttons work on the steering wheel except the track, volume and onstar button. Also on stars a separate HMI module so a cluster should interfere with that. When I press the onstar button a warning pops up on the new cluster stating no active voice control. It's just weird to me that the cluster would have anything to do with steering wheel controls at all other than the up down left right and enter button and the cruise control button works fine as well and shows up on the new cluster. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I find it odd that the new cluster disables track skip and volume and onstar but the buttons for cruise control, up down left right and enter all work. There has to be some way to get that back. Seems like a flaw of some sort.
Quote:
I believe the issue was the cars with 7” screens don’t have the capability in their dash wiring harness, probably why when a car with the 8” screen does the swap it still has to get a Gen5DIY cable to have everything work
Old 09-13-2023, 09:32 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

I hear you, but unfortunately unless you or someone can get into the full wiring diagram and figure out a way with custom harnesses or programming then we’re SOL

I’ve been looking into it since 2019 when I had my 2016 1LT with the 7” and even bought an upgraded cluster but without the volume and skip controls I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Unfortunately most of the development done on the 6th Gen related to the head unit were on the 8” and the 7” was deemed too problematic or too costly.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:26 PM   #7
Fiyero88

I'm OK with no steering wheel buttons but I'm a curious person and want to know technically why but nobody knows why so I'll keep looking.

Quote:
I hear you, but unfortunately unless you or someone can get into the full wiring diagram and figure out a way with custom harnesses or programming then we’re SOL

I’ve been looking into it since 2019 when I had my 2016 1LT with the 7” and even bought an upgraded cluster but without the volume and skip controls I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Unfortunately most of the development done on the 6th Gen related to the head unit were on the 8” and the 7” was deemed too problematic or too costly.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:28 AM   #8
Fiyero88

So I found the solution and it specifically states it's for IOB radios and also lists 2016-2018 camaro. It's universal and will work with any radios that have a key 1 key 2 wire.
Axxess:

AXTC-LN10

Quote:

Tags
cluster, steering, steeringwheel, upgrade, wiring