Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-09-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Theft Recovery Insurance

Hello everyone,

I have posted last week about my ‘22 SS convertible that was recovered after being stolen. The car was in one piece when it was recovered, but unfortunately the car has gone through a lot of abuse in this time period and not only by thieves but also the tow trucks and where the car is currently stored in. My insurance took the car for it to be “inspected” at their lot which I later learned was Copart and unfortunately Copart has moved my car all around the yard by using a forklift. My insurance is being picky and is claiming that since the car is repairable I have to take it back, has anyone on here experienced something similar and know of a way to explain to the insurance that I do not want the car? As I am afraid of the damage it went through as it went all over Copart’s yard.

Thanks
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:51 AM   #2
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
In 96 I bought a brand new Yukon GT, 6 days later my wife rolled it. The insurance company wanted to fix it and wanted to know where I wanted to get it fixed at. I told them they could get it fixed where they wanted to because if/when it wasn't fixed right and had wind leaks I was going to call their office every day until it was 100% right. They decided it wasn't worth the hassle and wrote it off.

If it's borderline write off they might swing the other way if they think fixing it will be a thorn in their side.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 08:06 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Can you -prove- damage was done to the car after it was recovered? If you don't have documents, emails, texts, photos, etc. that can definitively show the exact damage that was done by the tow company and/or COPART, you might have an uphill battle on your hands.

On the flip side, however, if you CAN prove this, it would be worth a discussion with an attorney (NOT the insurance company) to see if you have a case against the insurance company for failing to protect the state of the vehicle once it was recovered (the tow company might be out of their control, but dropping it at COPART was their call for sure).
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote